Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nonesuch
    replied
    Anybody with an AP room where I can watch presentations?

Anybody here reserved for the AP willing to offer a fallback position for when I don't make it into the best talks?

I've got beer, and a TiVo.

Leave a comment:

• astcell
    replied
    I did not think it possible to move the vendors to a smaller area. This will no doubt encourage sales by the pool or off-vendor-site.

Leave a comment:

• Bounty
    replied
    We'll be watching most of the talks via CCTV, and we'll try to get into some. We like to mingle and the room thing kinda screws that up. (we'll mingle after the talks, but since we'll be drunk, we won't remember anything) Maybe if there could be projectors and chairs sitting round. I know it would be hot, but it could help with the mingle factor. Hardcore people waited in the sun last year w/o seeing anything. I could see a projector shooting onto the tent for people in line...? Or an outdoor theater by the pool? Dunno... just another possibility. DC is probably too soon for this to happen this year... so while you're there look for good places to setup a projector. :>

Or better yet, if you have a projector bring it and a long cable :> You can use the back of our room.

-Bounty

Leave a comment:

• Dark Tangent
    replied
    Basic overview of Plan Ninja

I can see people like to make things more complex than they need to be. Here is my plan for DEF CON this year.

We are using the three largest areas for speaking. We have moved the vendors to a smaller area. We are using an additional room that was not used well last year, next to the lobby, for contests and events. We have done all we can to maximize speaking space, and not have the other events suffer. The only other way to increase speaking space is to rent another tent, but there are cost and space issues on where to put it. The roof, like last year, is off limits to us.

The only thing that made sense to put outdoors is the hacker / fed dunk tank. That's between pools one and two (With proceeds going to the EFF)

The Dark Tangent

Leave a comment:

• Grifter
    replied
    I don't feel like quoting everyone so I won't.

We hope to have the space issues worked out this year. All should be well and it's shaping up to be a great con.

Also, Defcon TV will broadcast each presentation to the rooms, as well as the movie channel, and info channel.

Leave a comment:

• simple3
    replied
    Originally posted by ck3k
    I still like the idea of some reserved seating for maybe some of the dc-groups, and if it is not offical I will have to sneak in with some "dc707" signs and afix them to chairs, like a ninja.
    Ninjas are cool; and by cool, I mean totally sweet.

--simple3

Leave a comment:

• ck3k
    replied
    I still like the idea of some reserved seating for maybe some of the dc-groups, and if it is not offical I will have to sneak in with some "dc707" signs and afix them to chairs, like a ninja.

Leave a comment:

• Voltage Spike
    replied
    Originally posted by Demosthenes19
    Exactly how many CCTV channels will we have this year? And, correct me if I'm wrong, all channels will be broadcasting _something_ full-time, yes?
    I believe they plan to broadcast each presentation as it shows (i.e., at least three channels). If I recall correctly, they were pretty good about this last year.

I sort-of remember a rumor about the Alexis Park upgrading their wiring so that they can carry more channels with better picture quality, but I can't say for sure.

Leave a comment:

• Demosthenes19
    replied
    Exactly how many CCTV channels will we have this year? And, correct me if I'm wrong, all channels will be broadcasting _something_ full-time, yes?

Thank you,
    -Demos

Leave a comment:

• gzzah
    replied
    Originally posted by highwizard
    I'd have to pull the actual codes for LV, but I have a feeling things "wouldn't be fine". Even if it is a major part of the artchitecture it doesn't mean they code regulation allow it.
    Not to mention it will be JULY/AUGUST which is BLAST FURNACE HOT and the first year of the tent the AC never worked right so you just sat and melted.

Take the tent away from the roof sounds like a GREAT idea! Why bother having any shade at all??

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Who said anything about a tent? Just open up the roof for venders and hangout. Everyone spend a large percentage of their time standing outside in lines last year. Put some tables and umbrellas on the roof. Sell concessions up there rather than in the halls. I have no idea whether that will fly with LVFP, but since the stairs up there are a major part of the architecture, I suspect it would be fine.
    I'd have to pull the actual codes for LV, but I have a feeling things "wouldn't be fine". Even if it is a major part of the artchitecture it doesn't mean they code regulation allow it.

You can have a bar. If you can have a bar you can have venders. I see your point, and you're right. I just think priorities should be different. We don't have enough room for lectures, but we have plenty of room for bars and venders?
    Actually, you're not even supposed to have a bar in hallways, but often code enforcers will look the other way on this one. Unless the bar is specifically designed to be in that area (ie: not a moving bar on wheels, not a table setup like a bar).

Every bit of space is, was, and will be taken up. I'm just saying things could be shuffled to give the track rooms the highest priority to the big spaces.
    I agree. And from what I understand they already have a different layout from last year ;) .

Leave a comment:

• y6y6y6
    replied
    This is usually the area that people go and relax and hangout with friends ect...
    Hmmmm..... I would lobby you that people were hanging out anyplace there was room to sit or stand, and that many of them would rather have been in one of the track rooms. To give people places to hangout at the expense of having more room for discussions seems wildly misguided to me.

I'm not trying to be difficult. it just seems to me that people are going to be jam packed no matter what you do. And the only places that weren't jam packed last year were the Capture the Flag and vender areas. That space could be better used by the tracks. Again, just my humble opinion.

As it has been stated, the LVFP has issues with a roof tent.. 'nuff said.
    Who said anything about a tent? Just open up the roof for venders and hangout. Everyone spend a large percentage of their time standing outside in lines last year. Put some tables and umbrellas on the roof. Sell concessions up there rather than in the halls. I have no idea whether that will fly with LVFP, but since the stairs up there are a major part of the architecture, I suspect it would be fine.

You can't have things in the hallway.
    You can have a bar. If you can have a bar you can have venders. I see your point, and you're right. I just think priorities should be different. We don't have enough room for lectures, but we have plenty of room for bars and venders?

With 5000+ people you can't have every piece of space taken up
    Every bit of space is, was, and will be taken up. I'm just saying things could be shuffled to give the track rooms the highest priority to the big spaces.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by y6y6y6
    How about moving some of the items outside by the pool
    Outside by the pool? There are some definite issue you will be facing there:

1) The Head outside 2) This is usually the area that people go and relax and hangout with friends ect... You really don't want to take these area's away, you need to remember that if you don't have overflow/relax area's you are in some definite trouble. Also, who wants to get their stuff wet by being near a pool?

on the roof
    As it has been stated, the LVFP has issues with a roof tent.. 'nuff said.

into the lobby
    This area should not be bogged down like that. It's where people come and go from the hotel. It's also a good relax/meet/overflow area.

into the hallways etc
    You can't have things in the hallway. Hallways are a manner of egress, you cannot block a manner of egress. It's a very fast way to get cited/shutdown by the Fire Department.

It seemed to me that last year the big room rarely filled up all the way, but the smaller room always did. IMHO just using the biggest rooms possible for the tracks, and making the flag folk and venders squeeze in where they could would solve most of the problem.
    Squeeze in where they could is not a good way to run things, especially since squeezing where you might think would be ok, might be a code violation or a hazard. It could also just be an overall design problem. With 5000+ people you can't have every piece of space taken up, not to mention anything outside will have to be broken down everynight and re-setup again every morning.

Leave a comment:

• y6y6y6
    replied
    How about moving some of the items outside by the pool, on the roof, into the lobby, into that room by the snack venders, into the hallways etc? If "Capture the Flag" and the venders moved out of the two rooms they were in you could have one more big-ass room to replace one of the smaller track rooms.

It seemed to me that last year the big room rarely filled up all the way, but the smaller room always did. IMHO just using the biggest rooms possible for the tracks, and making the flag folk and venders squeeze in where they could would solve most of the problem.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by pc-0x90
    But can he dance the bat-usi?
    I think his inner "dancing queen" needs to be unleashed.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X