Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If anybody needs any help or info about Las Vegas let me know I live here and attend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MindShadow
    replied
    Originally posted by Siviak
    I'm not trying to join in this pissing contest here.. as I happen to be one of the subjects of HW's rant.... but I have been making myself known as long as I have been going to con.
    I think thats great and I would say the community owes you a debt of gratitude. I was in no way belittling your efforts, I commend them and wish that my living, financial and work lifestyle lead to the point that I could help more. The point I was making in my comment is that a lot of people who live in Vegas go to Defcon and that I think this is due to the rise of technology jobs that attract technology savy people to this city in the last few years. I personally think that this is a good thing.. I have been involved with many Las Vegas technology communities from user groups to doing install parties etc, and although all my efforts haven't been specifically Defcon related, I think a lot of people that go to Defcon give back to the tech community, many of which I know run meetings and help out just in general with getting people going, and I think that is great too. So I guess congrats to everyone and thanks for helping out.
    Last edited by MindShadow; July 27, 2004, 16:49.

Leave a comment:

• hax0r
    replied
    Cant we all just get along lol

All I have to say is, the reason I posted this topic in the first place is that every year I go to DC and all of the events and people stay right around the hotel so that led me to beleive that they dont know much about Vegas I think we should have more of a Burning Man style DC more events in the desert where we can blow shit up legaly kinda like DC Security related stuff during the day and DC Blow shit up fun at night, every year people are asking me about vegas so I figured I would just lend myself if anyone needed any info about Vegas. Thats All :)

Leave a comment:

• Siviak
    replied
    Originally posted by MindShadow
    "I don't think they are popping up, more that perhaps they are making themselves known"........
    I'm not trying to join in this pissing contest here.. as I happen to be one of the subjects of HW's rant.... but I have been making myself known as long as I have been going to con.

Leave a comment:

• MindShadow
    replied
    Huh?

Ok.. to address this in the quickest and easiest way... my post was in no way to "compare" myself with anyone. I am sure many people put a lot of time and effort into helping others and they deserve full kudos for it. I was simply making the statement that there are a lot of locals that attend, and perhaps it was just becoming known more. As to what extent the other locals participate in "helping the community", I don't know, I am not their mother.

I personally don't have a car or a license, so picking people up is out of the question. My house and room that I get are completely packed every Defcon with people from out of town and I have participated with everything from donating wireless equipment for use in past cons all they way to helping out with the hotels computer systems. In the past I have thrown huge parties in my room with free liquor and even paid a local DJ to come in and host the party.

I guess my point is, my comment was in reply the the previous comment of "all these people poping up in vegas Im not sure what to think" which I guess I should have specifically said "I don't think they are popping up, more that perhaps they are making themselves known". I particpate to the extent that I can ... If that makes me a selfish bastard then so be it.
    Last edited by MindShadow; July 26, 2004, 19:56.

Leave a comment:

• gzzah
    replied
    Originally posted by highwizard
    So it is spoken, so it shall be done.
    Whooo wee, I just stepped into a very uncomfortable place... Pre con jitters?

I can understand your frustration -- maybe there's some history that I'm not aware of. You just sounded a little bitter. Have a smiley.

:(

crap, wrong one.

:( :( :O

damnit..

:)

there.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by gzzah
    Shit, man.. who pissed in your Weenie-Os last night while you were passed out?

Nobody, but while that post didn't quote londo's post I felt that it was directed towards him. And since Siviak and Londo are the only two in town people who go that extra mile to help out, that mindshadow doesn't have a leg to stand on. Especially since this thread is talking about needing help or info about vegas. Londo and Siviak offer people places to crash, pickups, places to ship shit, and all around are awesome guys.

If this was another thread I might not have responded so harshly, but I truly do feel like mindshadow was attempting to state that she is somehow on par with these two guys. And maybe she is in the tech sense of the hacker community, but when it comes to fostering the community spirit in helping out you brothers and sister in the community she is seriously lacking.

People make up a commuity, people who care about one another. Anyone can watch the community or even walk among other community members. But when it goes down to the nitty gritty, the people who make up the community are those who help out other members of it and want to continue with it's progression

Siviak and Londo are assets to the community. Mindshadow spoke about the 10-15 locals she always see's. Are they assets or detractors?

If you really want to look at community spirit, look how the toxicbbq came together.

So it is spoken, so it shall be done.

Leave a comment:

• gzzah
    replied
    ph34r the wizard
    Shit, man.. who pissed in your Weenie-Os last night while you were passed out?

Leave a comment:

• pezz
    replied
    most of my posts aren't relevant what so ever.
    I had to use my Little Orphan Annie super secret decoder ring to figure this out... :D

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by MindShadow
    I think there are quite a lot of people that live in Vegas that go to Defcon...
    Oh my god, people goto Defcon? I thought it was cancelled or something this year.

infact I have lived in Vegas 5 years now.
    Which corner did you work at? Thanks for adding a useless piece of information.

I usually see about 10 - 15 people at Defcon that I know from around town.
    That's so cool. Too bad your too stuck up and lazy to be as selfless as Londo and Siviak and give up your time and expertise to help out anyone in the community who comes to DC.

Don't know much about Vegas before 5 years ago, but I have seen a huge growth in technology companies between the time I moved here until now, and for the first time in a long time I have actually seen it be a competitive market for hiring...
    Well Jesus Fucking christ, I think we should all just have a mass exodus to vegas... Tell me do you work for the tourism industry or the chamber of commerce, or do you just enjoy sitting here and wasting my time... Because that's exactly what you are doing... I suppose the term relevance isn't one your familar with. I should know because most of my posts aren't relevant what so ever. Now I hope you weren't trying to say you are as cool as siviak or londo because you are definitely not.

good for the locals I guess.
    Good for the locals who actually help people out. But I guess it's good for the locals like you who are selfish bastards.

ph34r the wizard

Leave a comment:

• MindShadow
    replied
    People in Vegas

I think there are quite a lot of people that live in Vegas that go to Defcon... infact I have lived in Vegas 5 years now. I usually see about 10 - 15 people at Defcon that I know from around town. Don't know much about Vegas before 5 years ago, but I have seen a huge growth in technology companies between the time I moved here until now, and for the first time in a long time I have actually seen it be a competitive market for hiring... good for the locals I guess.

Leave a comment:

• L0nd0
    replied
    all these people poping up in vegas Im not sure what to think, I was kinda fond of the days of just me and siviak. The two lone gummen in this nuclear waste dump, heh.

Leave a comment:

• simple3
    replied
    Originally posted by mage2
    new best friend?
    as opposed to your right hand

--simple3

Leave a comment:

• hax0r
    replied
    Cool

Where in Vegas

Leave a comment:

• mage2
    replied
    google

new best friend?
    i wana buy a beer for the guys that started it.. they should come to defcon.
    eh we will see if they ever show.

Leave a comment:

• simple3
    replied
    Originally posted by just_mike
    hi im new and first time to con i just moved to vegas a month a go and looking forward to meetin some pepol...
    you may want to read this before proceeding.
    http://forum.defcon.org/showthread.php?t=2855
    and remember google is your new best friend.

--simple3

Leave a comment:

Working...
X