X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chris
    replied
    Originally posted by drdank
    I saw RenderMan wearing it in a pic. What is it?

It was basically a homemade backpack that could allow him to put his laptop, antenna, etc in it and walk around with his teammate viewing the LCD from behind while Render was doing other stuff during the mini games. It was a very cool solution to the problem of using a bulky laptop during the mini games. I actually think he should consider selling them in the future.

Leave a comment:

• drdank
    replied
    Originally posted by Chris
    no matter how many cool inventions people devise (The RenderRig)
    I saw RenderMan wearing it in a pic. What is it?

Leave a comment:

• Chris
    replied
    It never ceases to amaze me that no matter how many fantastic speakers we have (Johhny Long, Shmoo to name a couple), no matter how many new and innovative ideas are presented (TCP/IP Appliances, Robots), no matter how many cool inventions people devise (The RenderRig)...and no matter how many people actually show up and learn something from the presentations (people aren't complaining that they can't get into the parties at the pools ya know) the media still fixates on one or two assclowns that are doing nothing but TRYING to get attention from the press.

I am not saying that some of these things aren't newsworthy...only that I am sick of seeing the negatives of DefCon (You try putting 5000 free thinkers in one place and NOT having a little trouble) publicized as much as they are.

Leave a comment:

• not5150
    replied
    Originally posted by icer
    Whoah. That Tom' Hardware article is way off base. The speech was going fine till the guy started telling people to "fuck shit up" by "blowing up buses" and "attacking delegates." His problem came from insulting a goon, humperdink, when he was told he couldn't advocate acts of terrorism. Thats when all the other goons poured in. Nobody tried to attack him.
    I talked to about a dozen people (four of them other press) that attended and they all said that someone tried to get at the guy. The goons thought the speaker was in imminent (sp???) danger.

Link to article is http://www.tomshardware.com/business...021/index.html

Text for the section is

Tempers Flare

Unfortunately I was unable to attend the Electronic Civil Disobedience and the Republican National Convention talk given by a teenager called CrimetheInc (real name unknown). With a talk title like that, you know that sparks may fly, and they did. I cannot report exactly what the speaker said, as the tape has not yet been made available. Hopefully they will appear on the Defcon media archives page soon.

According to eyewitnesses who saw the talk, some attendees took offense to what the speaker was saying. At the end of the talk, someone ran up to the stage and tried to assault the speaker. Security grabbed the speaker and placed him in isolation for a few hours.

I think for rumor control, we really need to get a video recording of what happened. What people see and hear varies greatly depending on where they were seated, how far they were from the speaker, etc. A recording would clear ALL of this up.

PS The link to the Newsforge article (the post above mine) does have better description of what happened. Remember that I started off my section by writing that I didn't attend the talk. So I had to get all the info through eyewitnesses... which adds an extra layer of potential problems.

Humphrey Cheung
    Editor - www.tomshardware.com

Leave a comment:

• y6y6y6
    replied
    Better article

Much better article on the situation here.

Leave a comment:

• noid
    replied
    The truly sad thing is that most of his motiviation for all this was to impress his girlfriend. She seemed more fired up than him. Best line

Attendee: "Would you be prepared to go to jail for your beliefs?"
    Speakers GF: "He cant, he has to pay the rent"

Hopefully Spanky McFuckstain, or whatever his name is, wakes up to the fact that theres other fish in the sea and bails out before she gets him jailed or killed.

Leave a comment:

• icer
    replied
    Whoah. That Tom' Hardware article is way off base. The speech was going fine till the guy started telling people to "fuck shit up" by "blowing up buses" and "attacking delegates." His problem came from insulting a goon, humperdink, when he was told he couldn't advocate acts of terrorism. Thats when all the other goons poured in. Nobody tried to attack him.

Leave a comment:

• drdank
    replied
    Originally posted by skroo
    Good point, and my apologies for not distinguishing between the two initially. There is a world of difference between being aware of political issues that have a direct impart and being subject to what amounts to little more than a diatribe.
    This is the criticism a lot of people had about HOPE this year. Everywhere you look was anti-Bush this, anti-RNC that. Understandable given the political climate and the proximity of the con to the RNC, but it gets to be a bit much.

Hope you're feeling better, Skroo.

Leave a comment:

• skroo
    replied
    Originally posted by bean
    Well, I think there are aspects to hacking that are political by nature (in the sense that the topic of hacking brings up political topics like the DMCA and the Patriot Act), but yeah, talks that are purely political and have very little (if anything) to do with hacking shouldn't have any place at Defcon. I'm glad Priest made that distinction, even if it did mean we had to wait to see Dan Kaminsky talk.
    Good point, and my apologies for not distinguishing between the two initially. There is a world of difference between being aware of political issues that have a direct impart and being subject to what amounts to little more than a diatribe.

Leave a comment:

• bean
    replied
    Keeping the politics out of hacking is spot-on.
    Well, I think there are aspects to hacking that are political by nature (in the sense that the topic of hacking brings up political topics like the DMCA and the Patriot Act), but yeah, talks that are purely political and have very little (if anything) to do with hacking shouldn't have any place at Defcon. I'm glad Priest made that distinction, even if it did mean we had to wait to see Dan Kaminsky talk.

Leave a comment:

• echoplex
    replied
    Hopefully he's learned a valuable lesson from all of this.
    Yes... and that is: ALWAYS tip your goon.

Leave a comment:

• skroo
    replied
    Originally posted by bean
    I believe that one of the things Priest said was that that talk wasn't what Defcon is about, that it doesn't have any place at Defcon, and that it won't be in the archives or on the DVD.
    I have to admit before going any further that I was unable to attend this year due to illness. However...

Keeping the politics out of hacking is spot-on. I've heard the recounts of his presentation, and pretty much feel that he opened himself up to rampant criticism with his points of view. While he may be entirely entitled to state them, that doesn't mean that anyone has to agree with them. The late Supreme Court justice Oliver Wendell Holmes summed it up best when he said "the right to swing my fist ends at the tip of your nose."

By the same token, if I walk into a biker bar and shout, "BIKERS ARE PUSSIES", I probably shouldn't be surprised when the same bikers stomp my ass sideways.

Freedom's a bitch in that it cuts both ways. Hopefully he's learned a valuable lesson from all of this.

Leave a comment:

• bean
    replied
    Originally posted by not5150
    I suppose it will all come out when the talk is put up on the media archives.
    I believe that one of the things Priest said was that that talk wasn't what Defcon is about, that it doesn't have any place at Defcon, and that it won't be in the archives or on the DVD.

Leave a comment:

• drdank
    replied
    Originally posted by not5150
    Also... I apologize for the title of the article "Defcon 12's Fear and Hacking in Vegas". I submitted it as "Defcon 12:Hackers in Vegas, but the title was changed to make it more sensational.

I really disagree with having the word fear in the title because it implies that Defcon people cause fear.
    Not at all. The title is a play on the Hunter S. Thompson book Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Terry Gilliam did a film adaptation with Johnny Depp and Benicio Del Toro several years back that was excellent.
    Last edited by drdank; August 2, 2004, 20:51. Reason: Fixed spelling error

Leave a comment:

• not5150
    replied
    I'm still trying to get more information about what happened so that I can post it on tomshardware as a news update. People have been emailing me, but I have no other information.

I suppose it will all come out when the talk is put up on the media archives.

Also... I apologize for the title of the article "Defcon 12's Fear and Hacking in Vegas". I submitted it as "Defcon 12:Hackers in Vegas, but the title was changed to make it more sensational.

I really disagree with having the word fear in the title because it implies that Defcon people cause fear.

I'm fighting to have it changed... but I may be on the losing end.

Currently the Bluesniper video is corrupted on the article... I'm going to upload a good copy to my site www.not5150.com in about an hour. The tomshardware file should be fixed tomorrow (they are on German time).

Humphrey Cheung
    Editor - www.tomshardware.com

Leave a comment:

Working...
X