Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another "hacker" movie

http://www.apple.com/trailers/independent/nicotina.html

this one appears to be from Latin America (or Spain?). Doesn't look too bad by the genre's standards, which isn't saying much though.
    "Those who would willingly trade essential liberty for temporary security are deserving of neither." --Benjamin Franklin

I saw it on tv, some sort of commercial or "news" thing. Doesn't look too promising.

I would however really like to see another hacker movie.. especially a realistic one. I'm not sure if "Hackers" cut it for me. =)
    - Programmer -

Comment

As long as they say, "I'm in.", I will watch this movie. Its not a hacker movie without that line at least once.
      The dude abides.

Comment

Personally, I live for those progress bars that say "decrypting password" and then display random alphanumeric sequences. I have to change my underwear everytime.

Comment

Is this real? Maybe production quality is different where ever that movie was made, but it seemed like a spoof trailer to me.
          "Never Underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups"

Comment

i really doubt a practical joke would make it onto apple.com's trailers
            "Those who would willingly trade essential liberty for temporary security are deserving of neither." --Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by hackajar
              Is this real? Maybe production quality is different where ever that movie was made, but it seemed like a spoof trailer to me.
              It's real. Quality of latin-based movies seems to be the quality of US 1980's movies. They don't have the technology, money, or actors we have here.
              - Programmer -

Comment

Originally posted by d3ad1ysp0rk
                It's real. Quality of latin-based movies seems to be the quality of US 1980's movies. They don't have the technology, money, or actors we have here.
                That is so much bullshit .

The movie is directed by the guy who did Amores Perros , in fact it looks like they dumbed it down (see the bad spanglish translations for the Lotteria) for north of the border dumbasses.

Comment

Originally posted by murakami
                  That is so much bullshit .

The movie is directed by the guy who did Amores Perros , in fact it looks like they dumbed it down (see the bad spanglish translations for the Lotteria) for north of the border dumbasses.
                  So I've been taught wrong all this time, and countries in south america have the same budget and technology as hollywood?

Wow, my mistake. thank you for opening my eyes..

Anyways, I don't see this as a film many theatres are going to be playing, could be wrong though.
                  - Programmer -

Comment

So I've been taught wrong all this time, and countries in south america have the same budget and technology as hollywood?

Wow, my mistake. thank you for opening my eyes..

Anyways, I don't see this as a film many theatres are going to be playing, could be wrong though.
                    I'm not sure who taught you what what, but the bias that films made in the US are the only quality films in the world is bullshit.

The US churns out many high budget/tech films of incredible mediocrity and general suck assedness. The last two Stars films come to mind, and more recently AVP. A large budget and a shitload of CGI does not make a good movie. As evidence, I submit Wild Wild West.

People generally agree that movies should be entertaining regardless of how much a studio spends on it.

Comment

I'm not sure who taught you what what, but the bias that films made in the US are the only quality films in the world is bullshit.

The US churns out many high budget/tech films of incredible mediocrity and general suck assedness. The last two Stars films come to mind, and more recently AVP. A large budget and a shitload of CGI does not make a good movie. As evidence, I submit Wild Wild West.

People generally agree that movies should be entertaining regardless of how much a studio spends on it.

I didn't mean money+effects = good movie. I meant the majority of films I've seen from south america haven't been up to par with even poor quality american or english movies.
                      - Programmer -

Comment

The movie sounds great I mean how can you go wrong with a movie that is named Nicotina. Sounds good to me because we all need a little Nicotine. But here is something I found after a little research, quite interesting "Plot Outline: A real-time dark comedy about a science geek who tangles with a clutch of Russian gangsters after he delivers them the wrong computer disk." If your interested in it more here is the site. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0337930/

Gormless

Comment

I didn't mean money+effects = good movie. I meant the majority of films I've seen from south america haven't been up to par with even poor quality american or english movies.
                          Because I have boots older than you, I'll cut you some slack. To appreciate foreign films it helps to speak the language as well live in the area to get a feel for the idioms and culture. For example, in the Nicotina trailer it bothered me that they trashed the lotteria leit motif in order to make it appealing to a younger/ more north american audience. A film loses its integrity when such compromises are made. It just comes off looking cheap and cheesy.

Comment

Because I have boots older than you, I'll cut you some slack. To appreciate foreign films it helps to speak the language as well live in the area to get a feel for the idioms and culture. For example, in the Nicotina trailer it bothered me that they trashed the lotteria leit motif in order to make it appealing to a younger/ more north american audience. A film loses its integrity when such compromises are made. It just comes off looking cheap and cheesy.
                            Must be good quality boots.

Anyways, it's just been my experience that the movies don't exactly have quality acting or plots. And theres a difference between not understanding something because of a language barrier (or culture barrier), and the plot just being absolutely horrific..
                            - Programmer -

Comment

Must be good quality boots.

Anyways, it's just been my experience that the movies don't exactly have quality acting or plots. And theres a difference between not understanding something because of a language barrier (or culture barrier), and the plot just being absolutely horrific..
                              I love how in this movie the hacker kid acts all bad ass about what he did, until one of the russian mofo's sticks a gun to his head.

i onno about the movies plot, reminds me of chinese soap opera. (dont get me wrong they have their strong emotional points.) anyway im sucker for foreign films. Ill give it a shot and see how its like.

-xchris
                              -Christopher

Comment

Working...
                              X