Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pezz
    replied
    All this talk of finally using skype, but not a single username listed to add to my "drunk skyping" list?

Leave a comment:

• MidnightViper
    replied
    I finally downloaded it last night. For the need that I downloaded it for though, I would have to use SkypeOut, so I went looking around for some other software that might let me make local calls and I downloaded X-Lite. I haven't fully set it up yet, but it seems to do the job.

I was just wondering, has anyone used SkypeOut or X-Lite?

Leave a comment:

• Second
    replied
    I also enjoy it. I find it interesting that this service makes it possible to talk to others for free, when something of less quality, like Ventrilo costs to use a server...just a side note.

Leave a comment:

• erehwon
    replied
    I've been playing with this for the last few weeks under a recommendation of a few contractors working in the sandbox. I'm very happy with it, the sound quality sounds more like they're calling from the next room than say downtown Auckland.

Leave a comment:

• alklloyd
    replied
    Haven't used it client to client yet, but it's been saving me a lot of money on calls to Indonesia recently.

Al

Leave a comment:

• bascule
    replied
    Originally posted by MidnightViper
    Not to be a smartass, but when you say "developed by KaZaA," do you mean Sharmen Networks, the developers of KaZaA?
    If you meant Sharman Networks, you are correct. However, it's a stupid thing to nitpick considering that they themselves (or at least Nikki Hemming) use the names KaZaA and Sharman Networks interchangably.

Leave a comment:

• Voltage Spike
    replied
    Originally posted by MidnightViper
    Not to be a smartass, but when you say "developed by KaZaA," do you mean Sharmen Networks, the developers of KaZaA?
    A quick journey to their web page reveals that it was developed by the same two individuals who founded KaZaA. Another quick search reveals that Sharmen Networks is only the current owner of KaZaA; they purchased, rather than developed, the original product.

Leave a comment:

• MidnightViper
    replied
    Not to be a smartass, but when you say "developed by KaZaA," do you mean Sharmen Networks, the developers of KaZaA? And even though I haven't checked into Skype at all, I had no idea it was developed by them. Interesting...

Leave a comment:

• bascule
    replied
    Skype has a page on its operation:

http://www.skype.com/products/explained.html

It's substantially less technical than the PDF I linked

Leave a comment:

• ^Dash^
    replied
    Nice... i always wondered how come i could speak (me having a passive connection) with another passive user... i thought all the traffic went through their server (like yahoo!).

Leave a comment:

• hackajar
    replied
    I haven't looked at the pdf yet, but wonder if you can intigrate skype into an astricks server. That would be cool :)

I'll look into this futher!

Leave a comment:

• bascule
    started a topic Skype

I'm sure lots of people are using Skype, but not many people really understand how it works.

There's an excellent PDF (or HTML for the PDF disinclined) on the operation of the protocol.

To give you the quick jist of it, Skype was developed by KaZaA and uses what's essentially a modified version of the FastTrack network. Run Skype on a system with lots of bandwidth and an external IP, and you'll be promoted to a SuperNode and route calls for other people.

(And now we get to why this is in Computer Security)

So, because your calls are routed through others, in order to prevent snooping (and just a good idea in general) Skype uses strong cryptography on all calls, private messages, file transfers, etc. And by strong, I mean 2048-bit RSA and 256-bit AES. So you can be fairly confident that all voice calls, private messages, and file transfers are fairly safe from interception. The best part is that the encryption is all seamless.

So, if you aren't using Skype by now, get it and chat securely...
Working...
X