Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• astcell
    replied
    Data is also deleted if you enter the wrong password ten times. Hence, the unit was not password protected. Anyone not protecting their laptop would be in the same scenario.

Leave a comment:

• erehwon
    replied
    Originally posted by astcell
    I blame Morgan Stanley sysadmin. On the BES there is a KILL button, just highlight a Blackberry and send the kill command. I heard this was a fatal blow to the device, this would have been a good time to find out just how much so.
    Kinda hard to blame the Morgan Stanley sysadmin for this one...

Courtney Flaherty, a spokeswoman for Research in Motion, the company that manufactures the BlackBerry, said there are two ways to wipe data on a BlackBerry -- either manually using the synching software, or remotely through a command that gets pushed out from the server to the device. But that only works if a company uses the Microsoft Exchange server. Morgan Stanley uses Lotus Domino.

Nice to see that RIM took this as a learning experience if everything is secure because of this event.

Leave a comment:

• astcell
    replied
    Well if you turn on the unit and do NOT turn on the radio, then the data will sit there in the Backberry for your perusal. Probably good to have an automatic keyboard lock. Enter the wrong password ten times and the unit is wiped, even with no power to the radio.

I installed v4.0 on my handheld today, it sure does slow the puppy down!

Leave a comment:

• ademonaco
    replied
    Tough Nut to Crack

Thanks for the information, fortunately with the new release there is the ability to send a wipe to the device wirelessly, so a incident like the one at Morgan Stanley can be avoided. (provided the admin is on top of things) I do not believe that was the case with previous versions.

I have really gotten no where on discovering of grabbing information from flash and brute forcing it. I just think that the technology is just released so no one has a method quite yet.

Leave a comment:

• astcell
    replied
    I blame Morgan Stanley sysadmin. On the BES there is a KILL button, just highlight a Blackberry and send the kill command. I heard this was a fatal blow to the device, this would have been a good time to find out just how much so.

There was a story a while back about a guy who got dozens of hard drives off of *bay in all different shapes, you know there was data there.

Just goes to show that even the l33test among us are sometimes just handle the keys to the proverbial castle!

Leave a comment:

• erehwon
    replied
    With any luck, you might find a Blackberry that hasn't been wiped...
    http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,60052,00.html

Leave a comment:

• not5150
    replied
    Encase and Paraben

Both companies sell software that forensically access the Blackberry and other PDAs.

Be prepared to pay big bucks.
    Last edited by not5150; February 21, 2005, 01:04.

Leave a comment:

• astcell
    replied
    If you have access to the BES, even for a minute, you can change a setting so that all the Blackberries will send all the messages as a bcc: to a specified address. Then just sit back and watch your mailbox fill up!

Leave a comment:

• someb0dy
    replied
    You should try some hardware hacking. You should at least be able to locate the flash were the data is written.

Once you have your dump, you should try to locate were the hash is. (That is what I am trying to do, without much success yet) I say that to accomplish this formidable task, you need a very decent reverse-engineer. Once you have the hash, you MIGHT be able to brute force it. Alas, the encryption algo is SHA-1 and the pseudo random is ARC4.

If you are able to do anything beyond dumping the memory, keep me posted. I am very interested on such topic.

Leave a comment:

• ademonaco
    replied
    Clarification

I should have been more clear. I am not as concerned about the encrypted traffic as much as I am concerned about the information residing locally on the Blackberry device. The new release has local content encryption and I am looking into testing its validity versus soliciting a third party vendor to build a full hard disk encryption solution.
    I would much rather someone sniff 5 minutes of my traffic versus 5 minutes of physically having access to the device.

Thanks for all the replies.

Leave a comment:

• AlxRogan
    replied
    Originally posted by Chris
    Ok, obviously I just should stop posting today before I get my ass kicked. :)

I'm thinking they probably got into her mail store, versus getting into the blackberry itself, or just swiped the damn thing with no password on it. Either way, /me is the asshat of the day.

Leave a comment:

• cindy
    replied
    Slightly off topic

There was an article in the Toronto star today that indicated all messaging, if S/MIME encrypted, would be private. This is true, but remember that this is a corporate environment. As with the case with the corporate employees that used the blackberry's to start their own company, I sure no one was sniffing your data, you were just audited! Simple. You’re Pin's and mail are archived. Encrypted or not.

Leave a comment:

• Chris
    replied
    Originally posted by AlxRogan
    I stand corrected. Serves me right for quoting year old data. Either way, cracking a BlackBerry should be a very challenging task.
    http://msnbc.msn.com/id/6836110/

Leave a comment:

• AlxRogan
    replied
    Originally posted by cindy
    BlackBerry Security for the S/MIME Security Package version 1.5
    I stand corrected. Serves me right for quoting year old data. Either way, cracking a BlackBerry should be a very challenging task.

Leave a comment:

• cindy
    replied
    Originally posted by AlxRogan
    SMS, PIN messaging and any standard tcp/ip traffic, with the exception of the BES hosted e-mail, are transmitted in the clear.
    BlackBerry Security for the S/MIME Security Package version 1.5
    Last edited by nulltone; January 17, 2005, 21:01. Reason: Fixed [Quote] Tag

Leave a comment:

Working...
X