X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• renderman
    replied
    Originally posted by theprez98
    12 inch ORiNOCO/Avaya to N-Male Pigtail is the one that works with the card. If I were you, I'd solicit other people's opinions too, these are just mine. Although I suspect many people would agree.
    That's pretty much the 'standard' rig everyone uses. Very reliable, works fine. I even had one of those antennas survive a deer hit at 75mph.

Leave a comment:

• theprez98
    replied
    Originally posted by Cypher
    Thanks.

Which pigtail would I need? According to the item description it comes with a N female pigtail on 9 feet of low loss LMR-240 coax.

Can you point out which specific pigtail I will need to connect to the ORiNOCO card?
    12 inch ORiNOCO/Avaya to N-Male Pigtail is the one that works with the card. If I were you, I'd solicit other people's opinions too, these are just mine. Although I suspect many people would agree.

Leave a comment:

• Cypher
    replied
    Originally posted by theprez98
    Goto http://www.fab-corp.com/
    get the 5 dBi Magnetic Mount Omni Antenna ($55)
    and a pigtail ($18.95)
    and the ORiNOCO Classic Wireless Gold Card ($50)

The ORiNOCO card is one of the few that has an antenna jack. The pigtail plugs into the card, and connects to the antenna.

OK, it's a little over $100, but it will be the best money you ever spend on wardriving equipment.
    Thanks.

Which pigtail would I need? According to the item description it comes with a N female pigtail on 9 feet of low loss LMR-240 coax.

Can you point out which specific pigtail I will need to connect to the ORiNOCO card?

Leave a comment:

• theprez98
    replied
    Originally posted by Cypher
    Wow...I must say a lot of interesting stuff.

I'm new to the WarDriving scene, been doing it for a while with my little Motorola WLAN Card. What's a good setup I can get for aound $100.00 that would allow me to get max range to pick up more APs?
    Goto http://www.fab-corp.com/
    get the 5 dBi Magnetic Mount Omni Antenna ($55)
    and a pigtail ($18.95)
    and the ORiNOCO Classic Wireless Gold Card ($50)

The ORiNOCO card is one of the few that has an antenna jack. The pigtail plugs into the card, and connects to the antenna.

OK, it's a little over $100, but it will be the best money you ever spend on wardriving equipment.

Leave a comment:

• Cypher
    replied
    Wow...I must say a lot of interesting stuff.

I'm new to the WarDriving scene, been doing it for a while with my little Motorola WLAN Card. What's a good setup I can get for aound $100.00 that would allow me to get max range to pick up more APs?

Leave a comment:

• renderman
    replied
    [QUOTE=guile]
    Originally posted by renderman

That's exactly what I'm wanting to do. Be able to hit the two sides as I pass through intersections. So maybe look at directinal antennas for the sides and have a omni to reach out and touch the APs that are farther away.
    Actually the omni's would be picking up the closer range stuff, the directionals detect better as thier beam width widens (farther away)

Leave a comment:

• guile
    replied
    [QUOTE=renderman]
    Originally posted by guile

With my above mentioned rig, The omni's on the roof fill in the shorter range area immediatly around me, generally scanning 1 street either side of where I'm travelling.

The directionals are more for deep scanning for AP's in basements and faint signals. They also come in very handy when going through intersections and and passing side streets that you can see several blocks down.

My setup has performed insanely well and gets me 2-3 times the hits just using the omni's will

That's exactly what I'm wanting to do. Be able to hit the two sides as I pass through intersections. So maybe look at directinal antennas for the sides and have a omni to reach out and touch the APs that are farther away.

Leave a comment:

• renderman
    replied
    [QUOTE=guile]
    Originally posted by JasonatFAB
    I am guessing that you would like a antenna at your home as opposed to your vehicle. In this case you could do a variety of things:

Actually I need it for my car. I understand that driving through subdivisions will be necessary because of all of the structures blocking signal, but what I want to know is what antenna will give the best coverage for areas with alot of trees or structures. Basically what I want to be able to do is drive through a subdivision and use the major cross streets and not have to zig zag as much through the area.
    With my above mentioned rig, The omni's on the roof fill in the shorter range area immediatly around me, generally scanning 1 street either side of where I'm travelling.

The directionals are more for deep scanning for AP's in basements and faint signals. They also come in very handy when going through intersections and and passing side streets that you can see several blocks down.

My setup has performed insanely well and gets me 2-3 times the hits just using the omni's will

Leave a comment:

• guile
    replied
    [QUOTE=JasonatFAB]I am guessing that you would like a antenna at your home as opposed to your vehicle. In this case you could do a variety of things:

Actually I need it for my car. I understand that driving through subdivisions will be necessary because of all of the structures blocking signal, but what I want to know is what antenna will give the best coverage for areas with alot of trees or structures. Basically what I want to be able to do is drive through a subdivision and use the major cross streets and not have to zig zag as much through the area.

Leave a comment:

• JasonatFAB
    replied
    I am guessing that you would like a antenna at your home as opposed to your vehicle. In this case you could do a variety of things:

If you do not mind having a 5 foot tall antenna on your house then a 12dBi or 15.4dBi omni directional antenna would be a great choice as you would receive signal from all directions. One problem you will have is your computer will automaticall select the strongest signal and start using it and since you will have multiple signals you will have a issue, you can fix this issue by simply changing the preferences on your wireless card so that you can manually pick the connection you want to use.

You can get a directional antenna such as a yagi antenna and since it is small it is not an eye sore. You will have to go outside and physically change the direction it is pointing whenever you want to change the access point you are connected to. Ralph (Another FAB guy) has a Antenex Yagi antenna attached to a rotator and the rotator is a two part device that consists of a controller that stays in your house and then a rotator that get put on the top of a pole. When you turn the dial on the controller the rotator turns in that direction a full 360 degrees). This is a very interesting way to war drive and Ralph calls it wardialing (not to be confused with wardialing with phones)

Either option is a good choice but If I were you I would use option one as it is easier to set up and less hassle. We have kits that have everything that you would need and the kits consist of:

Antenna
    25 or 50 feet of coax
    Lightning arrestor
    4 foot adapter cable
    weather proofing

I don't plan on getting anything too strong. What I want to be able to do is hit APs in subdivisions without necessarily driving through the whole subdivision. so probably at least a 1,000 foot range. With my current setup I'm coming up a little short. Probably cause of obstructions from structures. What do you think would be a good antenna to use without a amp?

Leave a comment:

• guile
    replied
    I know you will be operating at a lower power but it is still not a good idea to get a antenna with such a high gain antenna that you do not get signal.
    I don't plan on getting anything too strong. What I want to be able to do is hit APs in subdivisions without necessarily driving through the whole subdivision. so probably at least a 1,000 foot range. With my current setup I'm coming up a little short. Probably cause of obstructions from structures. What do you think would be a good antenna to use without a amp?

Leave a comment:

• JasonatFAB
    replied
    You have a very good question as I have a lot of customers who want the best WIFI system so they buy a 1 watt amp and a 24dBi grid antenna and then wonder why it does not work for a distance of 150 feet. You know you have too much power (too large of a antenna) when you have a high signal strength and a low siganl quality. This is because the signal is so powerful that is overdrives the receiver. Here is something I basically use:

8.5dBi patch antenna for discances between 50 feet and 600 feet
    13dBi patch antenna for distances between 500 feet and 2.5 miles
    19dBi patch antenna for distances between 1000 feet and a 4 miles

Notice that the antennas overlap as per EVERY application is differnt. These are also for line of sight applications as this is 2.4GHz and this is the same frequency that cooks your food but at a much less power level.

I told one of my customers that he should setup his link and get his bridge and access point working before he set them up in the feild. This will help you trouble shoot anything since both units are nearby. I told this customer to set up the tow radios but to not connect the external antennas as this would be overkill. This customer did not listen and after getting frustrated he called me and asked what he was doing wrong. This was his setup:

Linksys WAP11 - R-TNC Male to N-Mail adapter - DC power injector - 50 foot N-Male to N-Male jumper - 2 watt outdoor amp - 24dBi grid antenna.

The other side of his link wa:

Linksys WET11 - R-SMA Male to N-Mail adapter - DC power injector - 50 foot N-Male to N-Male jumper - 2 watt outdoor amp - 24dBi grid antenna.

He had these in his garage pointing towards each other and then he called me via his cell phone while he was stanting in the center of them. He actually was feeling warmer and warmer. He had roughly 501 watts radiating out of each antenna and he was directly in the center of the two, needless to say I told him to leave the room and go see a doctor as he was cooking. I am telling you this so that you do not make the same mistake that he did :-)

I know you will be operating at a lower power but it is still not a good idea to get a antenna with such a high gain antenna that you do not get signal.

Currently using: Orinoco Gold Classic (Enterasys) 802.11b - Card has a internal 2 dBI antenna
    5.5 dBi magnetic antenna (6" tall) with a 5 foot low loss cable
    NetStumbler 0.4.0

I am currently shopping around for a good GPS receiver. I know someone that has a Sapphire and it's an excellent product but hard as hell to find in the States. Any suggestions or opinions on GPS? In regards to the antenna, at what point is the antenna overkill?

Leave a comment:

• guile
    replied
    Currently using: Orinoco Gold Classic (Enterasys) 802.11b - Card has a internal 2 dBI antenna
    5.5 dBi magnetic antenna (6" tall) with a 5 foot low loss cable
    NetStumbler 0.4.0

I am currently shopping around for a good GPS receiver. I know someone that has a Sapphire and it's an excellent product but hard as hell to find in the States. Any suggestions or opinions on GPS? In regards to the antenna, at what point is the antenna overkill?

Leave a comment:

• Chris
    replied
    I do not know who it was but I would like to thank whomever sent us the hotel room key and merch from Defcon.

-J

You are quite welcome.

Sean has been great for us (the WD contest) it was the least I could do.

Leave a comment:

• renderman
    replied
    I know this is starting to get off topic but at a attemp to get it back on topic:

What are you guys and gals (it would be nice) using for wardriving solutions?

-J
    I think if you take a look at my account I probobly owe FAB my first born by now:

2 X 5db Mag mount omni's into a 2 way splitter into 100mw Amp to an Orinoco Gold

2 X 16db Vagi directionals into modded WRT54G running Kismet Drone

Soon to be added after spring thaw:

1 X 7.4 db omni

And yes, I am running it all at the same time, and no I have'nt cooked my nuts yet, just a few brain cells.

Now to figure out how to get the teddy bear to wardrive...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X