X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• highwizard
    Guest replied
    Originally posted by dementeddemon
    And by under the table i meen i dont have to file taxes becuase he rites me a personal check for cash, or pays me cash if hes had time to get to the bank.

Except that's not how it works. You still have to pay taxes.

You aren't getting paid "Under the Table", you're getting paid as in Independant Contractor (IC). Which your employer isn't obligated to withhold Income tax, Social Security, Medicare taxes, or unemployment tax.

Your boss needs to becareful to if he doesn't file his 1099-MISC, perticularly since you are making in excess of $600 (The Standard).

There is a chance you could be a common-law employee, but since I don't know the specifics of your working situation and for sake of arguement I'll label you as an IC. - Though I would say you fall under Employee status since you have scheduled work time, thus negating a prime factor in independent contractor status (control).

Hopefully you are now 18 or older since MO law prohibits anyone under that age from working an independent contractor.

Read: Chapter 288 of the Missouri Revised Statues

You may not care about filing taxes, but atleast after reading this, if push comes to shove with the IRS you can't claim total ignorance.

Addendum: After doing a cursory lookup on you, I am lead to question the validity of your claims of employement at all.

Anyone who post messages like this "i need a good fast spreading bot too, someone please send me one, my email is dementeddemon@gmail.com add me to msn, or saphireking2000@yahoo.com for yahoo messenger". (from www.0x000.org - google cache).

My other problem with your validitiy is this post: http://forum.defcon.org/showpost.php...79&postcount=3

Apparently as of a month ago you didn't have any money and now you have 75,000$ in the bank, 12,000$ in checking. Hypothetically speaking, if you made those kind of deposits within the last month the bank flag your account.

And then there is this post:
    http://forum.defcon.org/showpost.php...75&postcount=1
    Amazingly you were new to computers and you already have secured such a job!

Oh well, I had some time to kill, so no worries...
    Last edited by ; February 16, 2005, 10:03.

Leave a comment:

• Second
    replied
    i have over 75,000$ in the bank, 12,000$ in my checking, plus when i turn 19 i inherit 6.7mil$ from my grandpa that he left me.
    Sounds like a nice setup..Preston

:)

Leave a comment:

• bascule
    replied
    Ow, my head is hurting...

Leave a comment:

• Voltage Spike
    replied
    i have over 75,000$ in the bank, 12,000$ in my checking, plus when i turn 19 i inherit 6.7mil$ from my grandpa that he left me.
    That is a good position for you. If it were me, I would use the freedom of wealth to obtain an excellent education as early in life as possible. I obviously wouldn't need to use such an education in the pursuit of wealth, but it would help out with life in general. Since I wouldn't be attending school with a career in mind, I might consider a liberal arts degree in something that interested me.

Leave a comment:

• dementeddemon
    replied
    he wont find anyone else to do my job for another 2 years and 3 months if he keeps to his word, and that is what he offered to pay me. And by under the table i meen i dont have to file taxes becuase he rites me a personal check for cash, or pays me cash if hes had time to get to the bank.

naw i like my job im not giving it away.

y would i be hurting or whatever when the replace me or the cyber cafe goes out of business? i have over 75,000$ in the bank, 12,000$ in my checking, plus when i turn 19 i inherit 6.7mil$ from my grandpa that he left me.

Leave a comment:

• Etherlite
    replied
    I wish I could land a job like that around here (Massachusetts). I have family in Overland Park, I've contemplated moving out there and working for Bayer or something, as there isn't a large IT workforce out there. I have a colledge edjumaction and multiple certs, but I still have to bust ass to get more. Everytime our company has a job opening, there are 50 applicants coming in for interviews, because the IT job market is saturated. So in conclusion, does the owner of the internet cafe want to open up a second location? I'll do the first month pro bono!

Leave a comment:

• d3ad1ysp0rk
    replied
    i was in the same situation as you were, axcept i was 15 when i dropped out(well got kicked out) of school. I got my diploma through a school called satelite high. They sent me the work i did it and sent it back. and becuase it was through the mail i could do it whenever i had time too, most of the time this was between midnight and 3-4am, becuase of work. I work at a cyber cafe' in warrensburg, mo. usa. I make 21$ per hour under the table 11 hours a day, 6 days a week, and on saturday or (6th day) i get payed 31.5$ per hour. my job is quite easy though i just sit there and watch charts and graphs all day. i get payed under the table too. and i have found that even if i were to go to college i probably wouldnt find a job that pays as well and it would just cost my alot of money that i dont want to spend. everything they teach you in college you can find on the internet for free or a hell of alot cheaper. but if you are not to familiar with the internet your best bet would be to get a g.e.d or a diploma like i did and then go to college, and you could find a better job then what you have now guranteed. the only reason this is different in my case is becuase i dont want to move away from where i live becuase of my girlfriend and there isnt any other jobs around here even with a college degree that pay as well as mine. so take my experience with the situation and interprit it however you want, but i would recomend getting atleast a g.e.d. and finding a better job. and incase any of you are wondering how much my last paycheck was it was 6006.29$ i get payed monthly.
    From your spelling, grammer, and general outlook on life.. Good luck when the cyber cafe goes out of bussiness. Or when they find someone to do your job, for cheaper.

Oppurtunity is short term most of the time, education is life long.

Leave a comment:

• highwizard
    Guest replied
    I work at a cyber cafe' in warrensburg, mo. usa. I make 21$ per hour under the table 11 hours a day, 6 days a week, and on saturday or (6th day) i get payed 31.5$ per hour. my job is quite easy though i just sit there and watch charts and graphs all day. i get payed under the table too. and incase any of you are wondering how much my last paycheck was it was 6006.29$ i get payed monthly.

So what do you do for taxes?

Do you take the taxes out yourself, or by "under the table" do you mean, "tax evasion"?

Leave a comment:

• Kallabungo
    replied
    sounds like you got a right good job for yourself there, my wage doesnt even make half yours!

any recommendations on books to buy? or maybe some sort of video tuition in a dvd or cd-rom form?
    im up for going to my town centre on the weekend and purchasing some but as ive never read any i dont quite know which ones will be beneficial

Leave a comment:

• Second
    replied
    I work at a cyber cafe'
    *snip*
    and incase any of you are wondering how much my last paycheck was it was 6006.29$ i get payed monthly.

Give me your job...please

:)

Leave a comment:

• dementeddemon
    replied
    i was in the same situation as you were, axcept i was 15 when i dropped out(well got kicked out) of school. I got my diploma through a school called satelite high. They sent me the work i did it and sent it back. and becuase it was through the mail i could do it whenever i had time too, most of the time this was between midnight and 3-4am, becuase of work. I work at a cyber cafe' in warrensburg, mo. usa. I make 21$ per hour under the table 11 hours a day, 6 days a week, and on saturday or (6th day) i get payed 31.5$ per hour. my job is quite easy though i just sit there and watch charts and graphs all day. i get payed under the table too. and i have found that even if i were to go to college i probably wouldnt find a job that pays as well and it would just cost my alot of money that i dont want to spend. everything they teach you in college you can find on the internet for free or a hell of alot cheaper. but if you are not to familiar with the internet your best bet would be to get a g.e.d or a diploma like i did and then go to college, and you could find a better job then what you have now guranteed. the only reason this is different in my case is becuase i dont want to move away from where i live becuase of my girlfriend and there isnt any other jobs around here even with a college degree that pay as well as mine. so take my experience with the situation and interprit it however you want, but i would recomend getting atleast a g.e.d. and finding a better job. and incase any of you are wondering how much my last paycheck was it was 6006.29$ i get payed monthly.

Leave a comment:

• TheCotMan
    replied
    Originally posted by Kallabungo
    Thanks for...
    Best ways to thank me:
    Follow the advice of IcEbLAze about using google. Use google first.

Reconsider what Second (et al) wrote about school.

Use what LoST and HighWizard stated about your understanding of what a hacker is and is not.

Associating "hacker" with "criminal" or "break-in" may piss off the people who enjoy being called hacker in the original sense of the word. If you need help with finding this, again refer to IcEbLAze's suggestion. (google.)

I'm not a hacker, but if I was, I would not appreciate being called a criminal.
    Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• Kallabungo
    replied
    "thecotman" you have been very very helpfull to me, i now know what to look for, whereas before i was just wondering in general what the hell was going on i have a clearer view of specific points which is the only way this can be tackled. Thanks for taking the time to write such an amount but it really has proven usefull to me.

Leave a comment:

• TheCotMan
    replied
    [Warning: Long post: replies to multiple posts from this thread are contained here.]

I left school and got took on for a job...
    Others commented on this. Consider mine a "me too." You don't need a High School Diploma to get a college degree. Everyone who "drops out" has their reasons (support of self, emancipation, etc.) but you are limiting you future opportunities by not getting a GED or some sort of diploma.

Now my biggest worry - file and printer sharing, ive read over the net that this is basically a door saying come through and hack me, is this so?
    This is a risk (depending on the service method) that can addressed with filtering of network traffic or appropriate stateful firewall rules. Neither are *total solutions* but are enough for most outside attempts.

Your bigger worry (than printers sharing themselves on the network) should be server/host services exposed to the real world *and* staying up-to-date on all your OS packages.

Next are issues with Worms and viruses, no need to state a suggestion here.

Yeah i am pretty worried seeing as now this network is my responsibility and will land on my shoulders if something goes tits up, and yes you may of gathered we have a big amount of file and printer sharing all across our network.
    Deal with outsiders: first step filter/firewall, next define zones of trust with increasing levels of restriction. Then examine other methods for entry to your network like Social Engineering, theft, brute force attacks on passwordded services, dictionary attacks on services, use of plain-text authentication services from outside your network, etc. (very long list.)
    Deal with insiders: auditing and politics, then look at technical.

I would greatly apreciate any help on what i need to look out for what people can do and how i can stop it.
    We have here 39 computers with two servers, one for an independant system used for the business as a DOS program which is the heart of the company, the other server uses a wireless link through the entire office with a 2mb up and down internet connection.
    Wireless? There are many ways to setup a wireless system insecure and allow outsiders into your network. Just relying on WEP is not enough. Many places use variations of VPN in addition to WEP, but even these can be problems when users tell thier laptop's OS/app to "remember my password" and their laptop gets stolen.

There are many other things to consider on making wireless more secure. Do some research with google. Look through the wireless section on these forums. (We have some skilled users in this section that I respect and there is some good content there.) Asking specific questions is better than, "How do I secure wireless?" Show you have done some research.

The best one was when a worker attempted a defrag and this totally wiped the hardrive, although no antivirus software or firewalls had picked up anything previously.
    Staying up-to-date with AV defs is also necessary too. However, no amount of updates will protect you from dumbass users, or insiders who intend to cause damage.

Lastly: Get some sort of degree, diploma, or certificate-- It will help you get future jos and increase the chance of promotion and you may fill-in gaps to your learning.

[Added content: replies to other posts in this thread
    i would prefer to be a professional web designer as the years pass
    I am worried about the lifespan of jobs like WebAdmin/WebMaster/WebMistress. I feel technology will eventually provide tools to make it easy enough for anyone to do it, or the WWW will become obselete or replaced with someting else.
    Consider WAIS, Gopher and now WWW ... It is only a matter of time for WWW. Maybe 10 years... maybe 100... making WebAdmin a career seems risky to me over the long term.

could i seriously fit any (degree program) in though?
    You make time. Go to school in person, or use a school with "Distance Learning" or use a reputable school that does mail-based home study and occasional tests in person.
    A degree/diploma/certificate says this:
    * I can complete tasks within a timeline
    * I am able to remember things
    * I can follow directions (most important)
    Last edited by TheCotMan; February 12, 2005, 10:05.

Leave a comment:

• LosT
    replied
    i see what you mean, sorry. Im guessing you go by the terms of hacker as in just gaining access and feeling good about it. where as the criminal puts the access they have got into stealing information and using it to their advantage.
    Actually that is incorrect as well...

LosT

Leave a comment:

Working...
X