Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hackajar
    replied
    One issue with using an outside proxy, VPN, secure tunnel is bandwidth usage to that IP. Not in the sense that it would be too much to handle, but rather, the "listening" entity (China) would see high load going to that IP address. This can be enumerated from "risk scores" and bandwidth logs. The problem with China's public, is that when they find a open proxy site, you have 10mil people hitting one IP address, and it pops up on their radar.

To solve these problems. There should be an application or "script" that runs in client mode to manage multiple outside secure browsing sources. This way the "load" of 10mil sneaky people is disturbuted between multiple enties, lowering the risk score and bandwidth to sites that allow anonymous browsing of non-restricted information (news) from around the world.

Leave a comment:

• Badkarma
    replied
    Thank you for pointing that out Cotman.
    I actually used the site given by astcell (eBypass) to access that BBC site.
    My sig is from the movie "Wargames", it is the launch code which is brute force broken by a runaway computer.
    ...gotta see this movie.... heads out for the DVD shop. Thanks astcell.
    BK

Leave a comment:

• TheCotMan
    replied
    Originally posted by Badkarma
    True, like this old BBC article
    The BBC Article URL you have has an extra trailing "/" to make it invalid to the server when it is requested.
    You can edit your post within 24 hours of posting it to fix mistakes. (I edit mine a lot because I make many mistakes.) Edit should be next to the reply button at the bottom right of your post. :-)

[Added content]
    The article you provide gives a simple description of how a proxy works and most of the solutions we offered involved using a proxy in some way shape or form.
    Last edited by TheCotMan; February 27, 2005, 00:29.

Leave a comment:

• astcell
    replied
    My sig is from the movie "Wargames", it is the launch code which is brute force broken by a runaway computer.

Badkarma, others can learn from you here, too. Do a little homework and we are more than willing to go all out to assist.

Leave a comment:

• Badkarma
    replied
    Well I think we proved that any .gov will have to work full time to block every single possible way out to the web. And the mor they block it, the more curious the people will get.
    True, like this old BBC article says, locals together with expats are trying to break the Great Firewall of China.

It would be really great if I could join Defcon but I will have to get a visa for that (im not Canadian) or I can just knock on the Ambassador's new home

As for astcell's sig, I really can't understand. I was staring at it a long time trying to figure out what it is. I was thinking maybe it is some "leet speak" that if I look close enough, the numbers shall appear as letters :) but lurking for a long time in here, I know that astcell does not do such. So what could it be...?
    Then, I found this thread. And the google link given by Cotman in that thread gave more information.

Though, I still dont get it... one thing is for sure. It is not leetspeak :)

Thank you both for giving me the options on how to go-around my situation. I have been experiencing information overload for the last 2 days but it was really great

BK

Gah! That might make my plans to visit China more difficult.
    If you do, you are welcome to stay at my place
    Last edited by Badkarma; February 27, 2005, 00:44. Reason: added text/fixed link

Leave a comment:

• TheCotMan
    replied
    Originally posted by astcell
    Well he can go to Defcon to find out more about the enemies of the people and report to the .gov about us.
    Gah! That might make my plans to visit China more difficult.

Surely they are interested in my sig tagline!

[Added Content]
    Also, did you know the launch code in war games changed a few times? Even the code that was suppose to be as you display was incorrectly dialed in one scene (as read from the WOPR) JPE1704TKS was on the WOPR when it should have been CPE1704TKS.
    Last edited by TheCotMan; February 27, 2005, 00:14.

Leave a comment:

• astcell
    replied
    TheCotMan, it was good bouncing this around with you.

Well he can go to Defcon to find out more about the enemies of the people and report to the .gov about us.

Surely they are interested in my sig tagline!

Leave a comment:

• TheCotMan
    replied
    Maybe they changed their ways, like so many of the good companies that trade away good tools for fancy words.
    Seen that happen before. :-/

Well I think we proved that any .gov will have to work full time to block every single possible way out to the web. And the mor they block it, the more curious the people will get.
    Tag-team answering! (Sort of like tag-team wrestling, but more productive.) You're a good partner in wreslting with this problem astcell.

Badkarma, I sure wish you could find a good explanation to give your employer, or government, to go to Defcon!
    Hm. Wouldn't that be a red flag (no pun intended) for BK's government?:
    "Ah! You want to go to DefCon?! ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE!!!"
    Heh. Well, probably not that bad. ;-)

Leave a comment:

• astcell
    replied
    Blue Squirrel may have been it, but it was a site I found in 1998 and it looked a lot less professionally designed. Maybe they changed their ways, like so many of the good companies that trade away good tools for fancy words.

Badkarma, I sure wish you could find a good explanation to give your employer, or government, to go to Defcon!

Leave a comment:

• Badkarma
    replied
    If word gets out about a relay, you can bet China and the US will be very interested in me.
    nicely put :)

Anyway, I do not go to Toronto for any business and if so, I highly doubt it if I can find the server in CIC office.

After a few more searches, I have stumbled upon this. This site actually give me access on .tk's, though it removes graphics on activeX and has advertisements all over the place, I can deal with it.

With all the tips and links that has been provided for me in this topic, I know that I will be able to surf on sites that are usually blocked. I just have to know what to use with what.

All help was very much appreciated, gentlemen
    BK

Leave a comment:

• TheCotMan
    replied
    I think a VPN will have issues if tryng to surf the web. My VPN will get me the internal network just fine, but then trying to get back out to the real world, well firewalls and VPNs can act a little funny.
    This would require a proxy on the VPN network, or an addition of a routing entry for the VPN server's IP addess through the local default route, deletion of the local default route, and addition of a default route/gateway for the network that has the VPN.
    The idea would be for the local system to route to the VPN host *only* through the local ISP, but then the network entry for the VPN (range/subnet) would include that remote network's default gateway. Then, the OS uses the network routing entry to find what interface to use for the default gateway, and then routes through the VPN interface to the remote network for a remote gateway.

I've tried similar things with tunneled connections in Linux systems, but not on windows. Windows XP does support routes though, so I would expect it to work as well.

There used to be a program with a squirrel logo. You enter the web site you wanted, it would go to that site and save all links on that page, and links on those pages, etc. Then it would zip the file and send it to you. Purpose was to grab an entire website at once instead of spending a lot of time clicking links.
    http://www.bluesquirrel.com/products/webwhacker/ ?

I'd like to know about this service if you remember it. Otherwise, I'll continue to use google to search for it.

Leave a comment:

• astcell
    replied
    If word gets out about a relay, you can bet China and the US will be very interested in me. Do you ever go to Toronto on business? If so you ought to snag a Cisco router, call telco and order a circuit, drop it in your office back room, have it secure in the office but running completely separate from your work, and use that as your connection.

I think a VPN will have issues if tryng to surf the web. My VPN will get me the internal network just fine, but then trying to get back out to the real world, well firewalls and VPNs can act a little funny.

Opting for Citrix is the easiest, but I am unaware of it's security or lack thereof. NetOp is not secure however it uses proprietary code which is a sort of security in itself.

There used to be a program with a squirrel logo. You enter the web site you wanted, it would go to that site and save all links on that page, and links on those pages, etc. Then it would zip the file and send it to you. Purpose was to grab an entire website at once instead of spending a lot of time clicking links.

Leave a comment:

• TheCotMan
    replied
    Originally posted by Badkarma
    I chose to look for this because I am on windows xp. I know, I know... but as I have said Im not that good at computers and besides xp serves me just right :)
    MS has made Windows XP a bit more secure than previous versions (with all SP, packages and updates) but the continue to be plagued with reactionary security updates to problems fundamentally part of the design.

Back to the topic, after looking for it, I have found this and this, which are pretty easy to follow.
    The only part that I dont have is the VPN SERVER IP which is outside of China. I was thinking of connecting to the office. Though inside China our server is in Toronto but then again, I might get in trouble for that.
    Here is a google search for ISP that specialize in this.

Using your work VPN is probably not a good idea.

I will not pretend that I fully understand this but... all I need is an IP address which I can connect to, right?
    That and clever routing mods on your computer or a SOCKS proxy or some other proxy at your VPN network.

If astcell is willing to set you up with a relay, that would probably be the most ideal... single host relay with low profile to help not be noticed by Chinese censorship police/enforcers.

Leave a comment:

• Badkarma
    replied
    VPN (Virtual Private Networking)
    I chose to look for this because I am on windows xp. I know, I know... but as I have said Im not that good at computers and besides xp serves me just right :)
    Back to the topic, after looking for it, I have found this and this, which are pretty easy to follow.
    The only part that I dont have is the VPN SERVER IP which is outside of China. I was thinking of connecting to the office. Though inside China our server is in Toronto but then again, I might get in trouble for that.
    I will not pretend that I fully understand this but... all I need is an IP address which I can connect to, right?

This conversations makes me think about making a front site like www.ilovechina.com and offer our friend here an IP to connect through!
    This is very kind of you astcell.
    The both of you has already helped me a lot. From the suggestions of Cotman to the site given by you. I will use one tip to another when im being blocked.

BK

Leave a comment:

• astcell
    replied
    This conversations makes me think about making a front site like www.ilovechina.com and offer our friend here an IP to connect through!

The Google cache is a good idea, plus the image search on google works through most any firewall as well. Type in "Miss January" at work and you get the search results, although you will not be able to open the resulting links.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X