Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• research paper

Hackers Ethics in the Informational Age

I am writing an essay for my English class, but I’m not sure what supporting subjects I should use. So I was wondering if any one had any ideas on supporting any supporting subjects. If so could you tell me? Oh yeah this is a research paper that I am writing.

Originally posted by Ozone
    Hackers Ethics in the Informational Age

I am writing an essay for my English class, but I’m not sure what supporting subjects I should use. So I was wondering if any one had any ideas on supporting any supporting subjects. If so could you tell me? Oh yeah this is a research paper that I am writing.
    I know this may sound old hat...but if you use the search function located at the top of the page and type in the word "Ethics" you will find that it returns 41 hits from this forum. I am sure that you can find a wealth of material contained in these pages. Also by using Google I had 212,000 hits when I typed in the phrase "Hackers Ethics". As far as supporting subjects, that would be something that you would have to decide for yourself, it is after all, your research paper.
    I enjoy talking to myself...it's usually the only intelligent conversations I get to have.

Comment

Originally posted by Ozone
      Hackers['] Ethics in the Informational Age
      If we take the original definition of a hacker, then knowing someone is a hacker provides you with no prediction on their ethics. By the older definition, a hacker is someone who knows a particular topic very well-- so well, that they can bend it to their will and force it to do things not originally expected.
      As a result, with this definition, there are some hackers who have ethics, and some who lack ethics.

There is another word, "cracker," which describes a person who is willing to break the law and/or ethics to use things that they do not have permission to use for malicious or destructive results/intent.

Not all crackers are hackers, but there may be some hackers who are crackers.

The very definition of, "cracker," suggests a lack of ethics.

From my perspective, this paper would only be able to state the obvious, when using the above definitions.

Maybe someone else has some ideas for you.

Originally posted by Floydr47
      (use the search function)
      An even better point. :-)

Comment

It would have been much better to rename this document
        "crackers Ethics in the information age" if it is some sort of criminal behaviour you want to illustrate.

If you are a lawyer, a doctor, an economist or whatever, no one focus very much on your ethics. On the other hand, if you are computer skilled, you are a hacker (after normal definition of hacker) and media use the word hacker for criminals.
        You never see the same analogous with for example a lawyer.

After my opinion you should focus your essay on this fact. Many wise words from TheCotMan here
        When people call me normal I know it's time to seek mental help

Comment

Working...
        X