Action Requested: Input for Improving the Dunk Tank Venue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheCotMan
    You go to DefCon and pay for everything in cash. Drive there to avoid FAA, and avoid getting your picture snapped to associate you with DefCon but ask for a receipt from EFF for your donation.
    The EFF donation as a charitable contribution not withstanding, if you work in the IT industry and pay for your own ticket to DefCon you should very well be writing off the airfare, hotel room, conference cost, and every other expense that you accrue. Attending a work-related conference is totally tax deductable.

Don't hide from the goverment... stand up proud and say "I attended Defcon Mr. IRS Man and as an IT Pro I learned myself about security stuff. Therefore I deduct my trip as a work/vocational expense, thank you very much."

Per the dunktank... perhaps offer one price for throwing and also have something like a slingshot or bean-bag gun that a person can aim for a premium. I'd pay extra for something I can shoot.
    Last edited by Contrarian; April 28, 2005, 21:13.

Comment

Originally posted by Contrarian
      Don't hide from the goverment...
      Heh. That was a joke... sort of like the funny kind, only different.

The group of people who are looking for write-offs for attending DefCon and getting compensation from the work-place or as a write-off to their business generally aren't the same ones trying to hide from the government.

Per the dunktank... perhaps offer one price for throwing and also have something like a slingshot or bean-bag gun that a person can aim for a premium. I'd pay extra for something I can shoot.
      I think they charged different prices depending on how close you were, and even a price to just walk up and press the lever.

Comment

Why just walk up and press something when you can shoot at it with beanbags/balls/kittens from a pneumatic cannon? Come on. Seriously.

That being said, maybe a simple platform for the tank to sit on could be acquired/built. Things got awfully muddy last time.

The cannon really needs to happen.
        cows like candy

Comment

Originally posted by veruus
          Why just walk up and press something when you can shoot at it with beanbags/balls/kittens from a pneumatic cannon? Come on. Seriously.

That being said, maybe a simple platform for the tank to sit on could be acquired/built. Things got awfully muddy last time.

The cannon really needs to happen.
          The tank could be put on top of a few wooden palletts(sp?),
          as far as the cannon thing goes, if it's not a huge insurance/liability problem,
          it could maybe work as long as it aint shooting too hard and the dunkee has adequate protection, but to be honest, there's a good chunk of the defcon crowd I wouldnt trust with a potato-gun like device filled with beanbags...
          heh.
          .:. Adrenaline .:.

Comment

Thank you for the suggestions. Please keep them coming.

I've captured everything down on our internal work sheet (except the scotch because we can't afford the several gallons it would take and the midget monkey butlers because that could get messy).

I've also captured those who have volunteered (thank you!).

One alternative to wooden platforms (which actually would destabilize the tank assuming we had the same one as last year (long explanation)) is for a few yards of astroturf which could be laid over the entire area. I've added that to our list as I remember seeing about 20 feet+ of it rolled up on the roof of the convention center. This would probably eliminate much of the slipperiness. If anyone has any leads on this, please let me know.

I'm also still looking for more people to nab some famous talents for the tank. I have a few but we have many many hours to fill. Your help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Res

Comment

make sure they throw in a cute girl with the tank again this year :)
              .:. Adrenaline .:.

Comment

Tank Bitch. :D

I mean that in a totally non-derogatory way. No, really.
                cows like candy

Comment

Originally posted by Rescue
                  Thank you for the suggestions. Please keep them coming.
                  When you publish the list of people, could you post the "fees" involved for each kind of throw (distance, etc) so that we can budget for this long before the con? I think the fees for throws partly depended upon the person being dunked last year.

Comment

We would also like to know the weight and composition of the object to be thrown, the projected temperature, humidity and barometric pressure for the times when these people are up for their dunking. Thank you.
                    cows like candy

Comment

Don't kill off your dunkees with thermal shock...

My suggestion: don't dump ice in the tank. I saw somebody (Grifter, I s'pose) who really seemed to be on the brink of hypothermia last year.

As long as the water is 76F or cooler, someone dropping in from the afternoon heat will get plenty woke-up and chilled. I live in Phoenix and have a pool; trust me on that one.

Surreal

Comment

Liquid...

Helium.

Thread over.
                        cows like candy

Comment

Let's stand Grifter in the tank and have 30 lbs of ice on the bench to be dunked.

Comment

Originally posted by astcell
                            Let's stand Grifter in the tank and have 30 lbs of ice on the bench to be dunked.
                            But! But! That could cause brain damage! ... [Oh! I get it now!]

Have a super soaker or mega squirt gun around to "shoot" the person to be dunked for a different price.

Comment

Working...
                            X