• Time
  • Show
Clear All
    alklloyd
    Atlanta

• alklloyd
    replied
    Originally posted by LosT
    So yeah, I'll be doing the same thing again this year. A card, with my email addy, my forum avatar on it, and my key.
    Funny coincidence...I just found your card from DC12 last week. Guess I'll take VS's advice and do it myself this year. A while back when I did have some sensitive issues going on, I used PGPFone for a while...but I've never really used PGP. Name, email, avatar, ID/Fingerprint suffice?

Al

Leave a comment:

• spahkle
    Absurd Fetishist

• spahkle
    replied
    Originally posted by Siviak
    speaking of badgers (we don't need no stinking badgers..) will TwinVega be whiping up a batch of them again this year? if so I would assue that the standard $5 fee applies....
    Yeah Twin, you up for it again this year? (if so, i need to find a new graphic)

Leave a comment:

• highwizard
    Guest replied
    Originally posted by Siviak
    speaking of badgers (we don't need no stinking badgers..) will TwinVega be whiping up a batch of them again this year? if so I would assue that the standard $5 fee applies....

What you need to do is have him make you a badge without DefconXXX on it. That way you can use it again next year and the for other cons.

Leave a comment:

• Siviak
    Cerebral Terrorist

• Siviak
    replied
    Originally posted by TheCotMan
    Do what many others on the forums do... Make a Forum Badge

Leave a comment:

• TheCotMan
    *****Retired *****

• TheCotMan
    replied
    Originally posted by klepto
    I don't mean to disrespect but, Please make sure the laptop is secure before having everyone sign in on it.
    I think DT is describing the act of his own signing of other people's keys and then publishing his own work to the keyservers-- not having people "sign in" using his laptop.

The "business cards template" is meant to be a system by which people can pre-print the information necessary about their key (ID/Fingerpint/checksum/etc) which would be done before you attended the key-signing party.

As for having the laptop secured before the event, if DT can't do this on his own (heh) he probably has friends who can help him. (heh-heh heh-heh hrm. Oh yeah!)

[Added reply to previous post:]
    I will go, to identify myself, I will write down my moniker on either my palm or on a post-it. I haven't decided yet.
    If on my palm, wouldn't Las Vegas heat that causes me to sweat smear it off? But a post it, what color? bright red? That will attract attention, I need a solid dark color.
    Do what many others on the forums do... Make a Forum Badge
    TheCotMan
    *****Retired *****
    Last edited by TheCotMan; May 7, 2005, 12:57.

Leave a comment:

• klepto
    packet thief

• klepto
    replied
    Originally posted by Dark Tangent
    I'll update the PGP business card template that I made last year, as well as have a laptop set up so I can sign on-site people's keys on the major keyservers.
    I don't mean to disrespect but, Please make sure the laptop is secure before having everyone sign in on it.

Leave a comment:

• Voltage Spike
    Ce n'est pas un personne

• Voltage Spike
    replied
    Originally posted by alklloyd
    Frankly, I don't have a lot of use for PGP (your mileage may vary).
    I'm so *legal* nowadays...
    You are the kind of person we want using encryption. If you assume that the government can break modern encryption (albeit not easily), then we want the signal-to-noise ratio to be so low as to not make it worth the effort.

Besides, it lends legitimacy to both the field and the applications. I'm more inclined to believe that most people don't use PGP because the ease-of-use is slightly beyond what users are willing to tolerate and the user-base has not reached critical mass yet.

Leave a comment:

• alklloyd
    Atlanta

• alklloyd
    replied
    Originally posted by LosT
    That is correct, nobody wants to sit and write down keys...last year people just handed others cards, introduced themselves and that was it...a quick stop in the contest area was about all it amounted to....
    LosT
    True, I still have LosT's card. Nice to meet him. Frankly, I don't have a lot of use for PGP (your mileage may vary).
    I'm so *legal* nowadays...

Al

Leave a comment:

• erehwon
    nowhere

• erehwon
    replied
    Originally posted by Dark Tangent
    I'll have to pick the best time and place for the Signing, but I want to try and grow it from last year. Any ideas to try and make it easier for people to exchange fingerprints, etc. would be helpful.
    Add a $5-10 cover and include all you can eat sushi!

Leave a comment:

• Dark Tangent
    The Dark Tangent

• Dark Tangent
    replied
    PGP Keysigning is on!

I'll have to pick the best time and place for the Signing, but I want to try and grow it from last year. Any ideas to try and make it easier for people to exchange fingerprints, etc. would be helpful.

I'll update the PGP business card template that I made last year, as well as have a laptop set up so I can sign on-site people's keys on the major keyservers.

Leave a comment:

• erehwon
    nowhere

• erehwon
    replied
    Sweet, I need to update my keyring anyways!

If you guys want to get creative, one of the joys private information operations is having access to a print shop.

I'll get some prices online soon for one to four color business/PGP cards if you can have them done to some industry specs.

Leave a comment:

• dYn4mic
    technologist

• dYn4mic
    replied
    Ah.. offline event It all comes together now...
    I'll hopefully get some cards made. thanks for the reply.

Leave a comment:

• LosT
    Contest Creator / Goon

• LosT
    replied
    That is correct, nobody wants to sit and write down keys...last year people just handed others cards, introduced themselves and that was it...a quick stop in the contest area was about all it amounted to....

LosT

Leave a comment:

• Voltage Spike
    Ce n'est pas un personne

• Voltage Spike
    replied
    Originally posted by dYn4mic
    Are the/a card(s) mandatory?
    Cards such as those LosT are discussing are pretty much mandatory. At the key party, you pass out cards with the indicated information to people that will accept them. After the party, each person goes through their stack of cards and signs them.

In other words, it's an "offline" event.

I will go, to identify myself, I will write down my moniker on either my palm or on a post-it. I haven't decided yet.
    Most people are not willing to go through the hassle of copying your information to sign your key. That is the reason you bring cards.

Originally posted by TheCotMan
    I think that is the only real disagreement he and I have had on the forums.
    That's only because I tend to keep my mouth shut most of the time.

In all seriousness, TheCotMan and I aren't adversaries by any definition. In fact, we tend to agree on most of the discussions here (in that, TheCotMan presents the facts, and I can't argue with facts ). I don't drink, but I'm sure TheCotMan is thirsty after all of his typing and I'd be willing to help him quench his thirst.

Oh, and he is correct: being invited is certainly not a requirement for my attendance.

Leave a comment:

• klepto
    packet thief

• klepto
    replied

If on my palm, wouldn't Las Vegas heat that causes me to sweat smear it off? But a post it, what color? bright red? That will attract attention, I need a solid dark color.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X