This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by allentrace
    I think the biggest misconception is that Feds are not normal people ergo some think that all of them conform to a certain stereotype but I understand your point and agree new agents are easier to spot.
    Spotting feds 15 years ago was easier; there were not many feds who were "hackers."

Hackers from 15 years ago now have jobs, businesses, or may work for the government. As a result, there are feds who act much like other hackers at DefCon because they may have been hackers attending DefCon before they were feds or have been to DefCon before as Feds and know how to better blend in.

It seems the objectives set in the earliest "Meet the Fed" presentations have come to fruition: altering perception that Feds vs. Hackers is not an "us vs. them" issue.

Call it "maturity" or call is "social engineering" the result is the same-- the lines have been blurred... the two sets don't just share a tangent, now they intersect .

The new world order of spotting feds at DefCon: Is that hacker next to you a fed?

Comment

Originally posted by astcell
      Man I wanted to go to Viet Nam in the worst way, but I was 4F for my medical condition. The condition was that I was 7 years old.

I have a mere 24 years service under my belt though. Cheers to you!
      I was 16 and had watched too many John Wayne movies, I quit high school and got my father to sign enlistment papers for early enlistment, 6 month before I turned 17. I spent my 17th birthday in the AFEES center. I didn't want to "miss my chance". Be thankful that you were only 7. I learned to be careful what I wished for. There is no glory in war. Just fear and boredom. At the time that I was discharged there was no honor in coming home either. Some questions are never answered, some things are never forgotten. As far as spotting Feds and Military types are concerned...every animal recognizes it's own breed.
      I enjoy talking to myself...it's usually the only intelligent conversations I get to have.

Comment

Originally posted by Floydr47
        As far as spotting Feds and Military types are concerned...every animal recognizes it's own breed.

you sure about that?
        the fresh prince of 1337

To learn how to hack; submit your request

Comment

Originally posted by highwizard
          I think you both proved his point for him..... Talk about people who take themselves too seriously.
          Blah.
          "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Comment

Originally posted by allentrace
            I think the biggest misconception is that Feds are not normal people ergo some think that all of them conform to a certain stereotype but I understand your point and agree new agents are easier to spot.
            And the Defcon hackers ARE normal people?

Comment

I think the "humanizing" angle is a little moot. Sure there are always exceptions to anything said "generally" in social cliques and structures, this is true. But as much as groups (any really) want to be "just anyone else, I just do law enforcement of some sort", there is still a tendancy to "group with eachouter" and no one else. VERY GENERALLY you don't have cops hanging out with non-cops unless under certin conditions: 1.) The cop is family 2.) Your a childhood friend of said cop. SURE there are EXCEPTIONS to this GENERAL claim, but it's good chance 80% of the time above statement is true.

For this reason, it gives you an easier oppertunity to "Spot the Fed".

As a side note the usual suspect Fed's are not really looking at people from USA and Canada and putting them on a list. They are strapped down with the DHS anti-terror thing. If your a hacker/cracker and speak Farse you may have to worry more then others. It is for this reason that spotting the Fed should be much easier, because they Fed wants you to seek them out and talk to them.

Of course, this probably does not speak true for the NSA guys that turn out every year...
              "Never Underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups"

Comment

Originally posted by TheCotMan
                Hackers from 15 years ago now have jobs, businesses, or may work for the government. As a result, there are feds who act much like other hackers at DefCon because they may have been hackers attending DefCon before they were feds or have been to DefCon before as Feds and know how to better blend in.
                Well said, Cot.

Al
                "Are my pants...threatening you?"

Comment

Originally posted by alklloyd
                  Well said, Cot.
                  Oh my gosh! People are not supposed to read my posts!

Heh-heh. Thanks man. :-)

[Content Added: REASON: see astcell's comment below]
                  Sung to the tune of "Modern Major General" in Gilbert and Sullivan's Pirates of Penzance
                  I am the very model of a modern Major-Smarty-Pants
                  I've information that is verbose and wordy to the maximus
                  I know nothing useful to write, but I write it though I should-ant*
                  For many users I'm just a modern major pain in asssssss**

I'm very well acquainted, too, to stupidly anoying all
                  I understand the google and I push it with zestful gall
                  While citing google, shake a user, like a little ragged doll
                  But that unhappy user seeks to separate-castrate my balls

*Really "shouldn't" but improperly spelled to stress sound
                  **Really "ass" but also incorrectly spelled to stress sound
                  Last edited by TheCotMan; April 26, 2005, 21:57.

Comment

Oh my gosh! People are not supposed to read my posts!

Heh-heh. Thanks man. :-)
                    That post was to short for the real TheCotMan. Please revise or we will report the post as suspected from a compromised account.

Comment

Originally posted by astcell
                      That post was to short for the real TheCotMan. Please revise or we will report the post as suspected from a compromised account.
                      Hah! Fine! I added content! Happy now? :-P ;-)

Comment

I'm a blond female, early 40's... no one suspects me as being military, government or an officer.. yet, I've been all of the above! There's no formula. I've worked encryption in the army (35th sig battalion), I've worked communications in the government and I still work cases on a private detail. The fact is, I'm solid in my jobs, however, when I go to defcon, .. I'm just plain ol' BO... I don't think most people would pick me out as law. If a person is just wanting to be 'human'.. they will not always be detected. Most of us won't attend BlackHat either... too expensive for general purposes. :)

In otherwords,.. GUESS.. :)
                        In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.

Comment

a short post followed by a short post.... TheCotMan may be losing his edge...
                          Where's the dedication?

Comment

Originally posted by TwinVega
                            a short post followed by a short post.... TheCotMan may be losing his edge...
                            Been trying to offer shorter posts for about a year... I've found one secret is to be a little more social.
                            :-) Tah-dah!

Comment

Been trying to offer shorter posts for about a year... I've found one secret is to be a little more social.
                              :-) Tah-dah!
                              TheCotMan being social...now there's a novel idea...
                              I enjoy talking to myself...it's usually the only intelligent conversations I get to have.

Comment

Kind of offtopic, but at least this guy claims he is one of the best hackers. Don't know if you have read this before, but here it goes.
                                http://www.totalillusions.net/forum/...?showtopic=328

I almost fell of my chair when i read this ^^ :D
                                -- dev_zero@

Comment

Working...
                                X