X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nimby
    replied
    Originally posted by Abby_Normal
    But I'm rambling, must get back to work.
    you mean working at the job they took from you?

I'd troll the forums more ;)

Leave a comment:

• Abby_Normal
    replied
    Originally posted by Nimby
    heh, I dropped my totalfark account a lonnng time ago ... there's only so much bs one can take ...
    I have to agree. It got way too stupid. Drew and fark can take their double standards and shove them where the sun don't shine.

Besides, my boss just asked if I'd stay on part time at least til I find a new job. Seems they see why it would be bad to anger the one person who knows how everything works. So I will be too busy anyway.

I know they are telling the truth about not being able to afford me anymore (not that they were paying me all that much). And people are jumping ship right and left (including my boss). It looks like they will get the funding they need, but not soon enough to be useful to me.

Oh well, I really did like my job. It was a good fit for an add imparied jack of all trades. Something different all the time, and lots of hacking and jury rigging. I'll miss this shop.

But I'm rambling, must get back to work.

Leave a comment:

• Nimby
    replied
    heh, I dropped my totalfark account a lonnng time ago ... there's only so much bs one can take ...

Leave a comment:

• Abby_Normal
    replied
    Fark

Originally posted by drdank
    So I guess we'll be seeing more of you on Fark?
    Unlikely, I have it from an inside source that some (female) mods have it in for me, I think I am banned for life, or for as long as I have better tits.

Leave a comment:

• drdank
    replied
    Tell a woman you are laying her off in a week, and you'll never find out how anything works!
    So I guess we'll be seeing more of you on Fark?

Leave a comment:

• Abby_Normal
    replied
    Originally posted by TheCotMan
    Give a [wo]man a fish an [s]he will eat for a day.
    Teach a [wo]man to fish, and you will be replaced by a fisherman willing to work for less than you.

Life in a coporation-- where your job security is tied to how easy it is to replace you.
    Tell a woman you are laying her off in a week, and you'll never find out how anything works!

I'm not going to be too spiteful, but no way am I writing any docs!

Leave a comment:

• TheCotMan
    replied
    I guess I should write some documentation.... Nah!
    Give a [wo]man a fish an [s]he will eat for a day.
    Teach a [wo]man to fish, and you will be replaced by a fisherman willing to work for less than you.

Life in a coporation-- where your job security is tied to how easy it is to replace you.

Leave a comment:

• Abby_Normal
    replied
    Originally posted by bascule
    The lesson here is to go with tier 1 vendors and avoid the fly by night companies that will vanish when you need them to stand behind their product
    Could be why no one who had anything to do with the purchase of the system is still working here.

I'm suprised they didn't try to do anything about it sooner, I set up a user today who had been waiting 2 years to get voicemail!

The info I found was enough to get me in to the system, but there were big gaps in the docs. Took me hours of trial and error to do a few simple things. But now everything is working and only I know how. I guess I should write some documentation.... Nah!

Leave a comment:

• TheCotMan
    replied
    Originally posted by bascule
    The lesson here is to go with tier 1 vendors and avoid the fly by night companies that will vanish when you need them to stand behind their product
    Or, if you do decide to go with a smaller company, demand complete source code so migration and/or support is easier/possible if the company goes away. (This does not mean you require OpenSource. You can always agree to sign NDA.)

Leave a comment:

• bascule
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Second
    replied
    Originally posted by Voltage Spike
    (Oh, and an address would be nice.)

Not too subtle, and not to forward at the same time...very nice Rico Suave.

:)

Leave a comment:

• Voltage Spike
    replied
    So it would appear that we are saved
    I'm glad you were able to answer your own question. Any chance that you could share what you found so that others may learn from your experience? (Oh, and an address would be nice.)

Leave a comment:

• Abby_Normal
    replied
    Nevermind

While hiding from phone related questions in the server room I noticed a box on top of one of the ducts that run through the room. In that dusty box was an assortment of old docs, disks manuals and most importantly, all the manuals and passcodes for the phone system.

So it would appear that we are saved, and voice mail will again be ours. Talk about lucky!

Leave a comment:

• Abby_Normal
    started a topic Office phone systems

Office phone systems

OK, My boss just dropped this on my desk, and I turn to you all for help/advice.

We have a fairly old phone system here. The phones are Tosheba DTK 2000s. And the backend seems to be something called Lingo, from active voice. The company who was supporting all this went out of business, and no one here knows what most of the passcodes are for anything.

We can't get a new system anytime soon, so that's out. I guess I just need to know if anything can be done to make this a workable system before I waste a lot of time and effort on this. We need to be able to get rid of some old voicemail boxes and add new ones and the like.

Can this be saved, or should we been investing in tin cans and string.
Working...
X