This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Totally off topic

I've found myself in a situation that I cant seem to resolve. I've begun ripping all my CDs to mp3 so I can store them on my media PC (that and I'm brutal on CDs). I use CDEX as my ripping utility (free, CDDB support, rips fast with no weirdness). Yesterday I ripped a ton of music. I was under the impression that CDEX would create a new folder for each artist/album I ripped. I was wrong. I now have a directory with about 1500 songs in it. The ID3 tags are all correct, so I am wondering; can anyone recommend a Windows tool that would go through the directory and create folders for each album?

Ya, I know, this isnt tech support, but I'm a moderator so neener

I return whatever i wish . Its called FREEDOWM OF RANDOMNESS IN A HECK . CLUSTERED DEFEATED CORn FORUM . Welcome to me

If you imported all the songs into iTunes with the "Keep iTunes music folder neat" option on in the advanced preferences tab it should do exactly what you want. The iTunes music folder will have all your songs sorted in subdirectories by artist then album.

The only downside is you'll have to delete that duplicate unsorted directory afterwords, it doesn't just move the files.
    The dude abides.

Comment

Originally posted by Xodia
      If you imported all the songs into iTunes with the "Keep iTunes music folder neat" option on in the advanced preferences tab it should do exactly what you want. The iTunes music folder will have all your songs sorted in subdirectories by artist then album.

The only downside is you'll have to delete that duplicate unsorted directory afterwords, it doesn't just move the files.
      Did he say he was using iTunes?
      Al
      "Are my pants...threatening you?"

Comment

no he didnt, but I do have iTunes on this box, so that is a viable option.

I return whatever i wish . Its called FREEDOWM OF RANDOMNESS IN A HECK . CLUSTERED DEFEATED CORn FORUM . Welcome to me

Comment

Originally posted by noid
          I now have a directory with about 1500 songs in it. The ID3 tags are all correct, so I am wondering; can anyone recommend a Windows tool that would go through the directory and create folders for each album?
          I do not know of any program for windows that could do this.

What I would do is do a "dir > \music.txt" dump, then process that music.txt file on a machine that has sed to build a batch file that automagically would MD the dirname as taken from regex pattern for album name, followed by a MOVE *album-name*.* album-name\

You could also turn to VB, or perl, or (gah) C++... ]:>

Links:
          http://www.cygwin.com/

Comment

iTunes is indeed your best bet. You can import from the file,and it will copy. I did it myself.

Comment

just out of curiosity, what's the filename format?

Example:
              01-God Ate My HomeWork-CoolAlbum-Pirate_This_Song.mp3

Tracknumber, Band Name, Album Name, Song Name = format above
              "Never Underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups"

Comment

Originally posted by astcell
                iTunes is indeed your best bet. You can import from the file,and it will copy. I did it myself.
                Another vote for iTunes here for the original sort. I went through 90 gigs of MP3s and let iTunes run loose. After about 3 hours, it copied all the MP3s in the proper Artist/Album/Track format. After a few days of running it, I went ahead and deleted my old share.

Good luck.
                Aut disce aut discede

Comment

no he didnt, but I do have iTunes on this box, so that is a viable option.
                  Sorry, from the post I couldn't tell.
                  I guess I forgot the wild appeal of the ipod/tunes. Everyone loves it. Never touched them myself. My PPC phone is a fine mp3 player, but what do I know?

Al
                  "Are my pants...threatening you?"

Comment

I also use iTunes. I like being able to change the Bit Rate.

Comment

If you happen to have php laying around this script should do the trick!

Just remove .txt off end and edit top of file to reflect your directories

Have Fun!
                      "Never Underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups"

Comment

...The ID3 tags are all correct, so I am wondering; can anyone recommend a Windows tool that would go through the directory and create folders for each album?
                        http://www.foobar2000.com/
                        Load them all in to a play list then right click on all of the selected files and use the masstagger function. You may have to define how you want them named from the ID3 tags but this works grate.
                        Politics are nothing more than formal, socially accepted methods of social engineering.

Comment

Ya, I know, this isnt tech support, but I'm a moderator so neener
                          shocking abuse of power there Noid-ster... I have come to expect no less from the mods here... bravo, my friend bravo
                          If I had a nickle for every time someone offered me ten cents to keep my two cents to myself... I would be a rich man.

Comment

Originally posted by AlxRogan
                            I went through 90 gigs of MP3s and let iTunes run loose.
                            Dang...that's a lot of legally purchased music. I don't think i have 90 gigs of.....anything on my computer.

:)
                            Answering easy questions since 1987
                            Si Dieu est pour moi, qui peut ĂȘtre contre moi?

Comment

To bring this thread full circle. iTunes did the trick, luckily I had enough HD space to basically mirror my mp3 collection. Thanks to those that replied!

Comment

Working...
                              X