Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kai
    replied
    Very nice, will have to try one of those in a couple weeks.

Leave a comment:

• noid
    replied
    Ya, the smoker is new. I got it in Feb. This was the second time I've fired it up, Its got the offset smoker box on the side. I used some basic charcoal to get the heat going then began dumping hickory and applewood on there for flavor. The rubs were simple. The baby pig and pig shank are done with Rub A. The pork shoulder is done with Rub B. After the rubs set, I mopped them every hour or so with a mop sauce Evil whipped up. Not entirely sure what it was comprise of but I know it had molasses, apple juice concentrate, and cherry/cranberry syrup in it. The resulting flavor was a good sweet and hot taste with a smoky tang.

Rub A

1/3 cup packed brown sugar
    2 Tablespoons garlic powder
    2 Tablespoons paprika
    2 Tablespoons ground white pepper
    2 Tablespoons ground black pepper
    1 Tablespoon ground cayanne
    1 Tablespoon dry mustard
    2 Teaspoons ground sage
    2 Teaspoons ground thyme
    1 Teaspoon ground allspice

Rub B

1/2 cup ground black pepper
    1/2 cup mild chili powder
    1/2 cup sugar (granulated, white)
    1/4 cup coarse salt (sea salt or kosher salt work)
    4 teaspoons dry mustard*
    2 teaspons cayenne

* I cut that back to 2 teaspoons because what I do with pork shoulders is I cover the shoulder in mustard first. Basic brown mustard, rub it all over the shoulder. It'll hold the rub on till the sugar liquifies and bonds to the meat.

Leave a comment:

• Kai
    replied
    Originally posted by noid
    I'm feeling pretty proud of myself, so I figured I'd post a pic from yesterdays pork-o-rama

Looks awesome!

What kinda rub you usin' there?

Also looks like a brand new grill (wood is still clean). Got an offset smoker box there on the left? Might check out this thread for putting together a cage to keep temp and smoke consistent.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=117053

Kai

Leave a comment:

• noid
    replied
    I'm feeling pretty proud of myself, so I figured I'd post a pic from yesterdays pork-o-rama

Leave a comment:

• TheCotMan
    replied
    Originally posted by russ
    Can someone please post a map for those of us that have not been before?
    Last year it was in Sunset park. We were just to the west of a parking lot, by some trees with a bunch of picnic tables and grill. The picnic tables were on a concrete slab.

Directions from mapquest AP/AV -> Sunset Park

A google map of the park. Notice the parking lot near the center of this map, that has a big tree surrounded on most sides by light brown dirt/sand?:
    And then here is a google sat. map centered on parking lot I *think* was right next to the location

I seem to recall that we were to the west of this parking lot, under and to the west of that big tree.

Can anyone else confirm this?

The AP/AV is to tthe north and west of sunset park
    http://maps.google.com/maps?q=las+ve...7703&t=k&hl=en

[C\ontent added:]
    Other landmarks near the previous location:
    Volleyball net and court on sand or dirt to the south (?)
    Some sort of building to the east/southeast (?)
    Playground to the east/northeast (?)

Originally posted by HighWizard
    Oh and this is a cotman free zone.. No Cotman posts allowed.
    Hah-hah! That's a good one. :-)
    Last edited by TheCotMan; May 29, 2005, 13:17.

Leave a comment:

• converge
    replied
    Originally posted by russ

-Russ
    Will be done more thoroughly this year. Maps for the site, as well as the food run will be available soon. (read as, within the next week or so)

I get a day off on Tues, so I'll try to get the info flowing if l0nd0 doesn't beat me to it.

Leave a comment:

• Floydr47
    replied
    This may not be the place for this...if not I apologize.

FLOYD'S BBQ BRISKET

1- Beef Brisket (12-16 lbs.)
    Onions
    Jalapeno Peppers
    Claude's Beef Brisket Marinade
    Bull's Eye Brand Mesquite BBQ Sauce
    Jack Daniels
    Salt and Pepper

Put your Beef Brisket in a covered roasting pan and pour on one bottle of Claude's Marinade and one bottle of water. Chop the onions and Jalapenos in large pieces and add to the pan (use as much onions and peppers as you like). Pour in Jack Daniels to taste. Salt and Pepper. Bake at 200 F. for about 6 hours or until real tender. Remove Brisket from roasting pan, cover with BBQ sauce, wrap in aluminum foil. Now it's time to fire up the BBQ pit (use Mesquite chips for smoke, I always soak my Mesquite chips in a bucket of water overnight before using them.) Just toss them in on top of the hot coals. Smoke the brisket on the pit for an hour or so to get a good smokey flavor. Serve with Potato Salad, Ranch Style Beans, Texas Toast, hot Peach Cobbler, and plenty of your favorite cold brew. Feeds about a half a dozen folks, more or less, less if they're real hungry. Be sure and fix plenty because you'll have people showing up claiming to be kin when they smell the smoke. Enjoy !!!
    Last edited by Floydr47; May 29, 2005, 11:14.

Leave a comment:

• russ
    replied
    MAps?

-Russ

Leave a comment:

• spahkle
    replied
    Originally posted by highwizard
    As I said, I had more then were bought last year. So if you didn't get one last year, but think you may want one this year, tell me before I order them.
    I'm down for an XL again this year (which, hopefully, someone won't walk off with!)

Leave a comment:

• Siviak
    replied
    Originally posted by astcell
    I knew a couple who bought missile cases from the local Air Force base surplus sales. They added wheels, drilled some holes, then used these cases as 40 foot long BBQ grills.
    well folks, any of you that were wondering about what to get Noid for christmas....

Leave a comment:

• astcell
    replied
    I knew a couple who bought missile cases from the local Air Force base surplus sales. They added wheels, drilled some holes, then used these cases as 40 foot long BBQ grills.

Leave a comment:

• highwizard
    Guest replied
    Originally posted by alklloyd
    Highwizard: Does that mean you won't save me a 2XL?

Al

Alklloyd: I will always save you a XXL.

Leave a comment:

• alklloyd
    replied
    Originally posted by highwizard
    but remember, just because you tell me you need a certain size won't garuntee you get that size, it's first come first serve.
    Highwizard: Does that mean you won't save me a 2XL?

Al

Leave a comment:

• octalpus
    replied
    Originally posted by Kai
    Unfortunately, it would have to be a GREAT deal smaller for my little POS 2.5 liter to haul it!

:(
    If you know someone who welds, you can put a trailer on to one of those oil barrel bbq's that they sell cheap at HEB.

Leave a comment:

• Kai
    replied
    Originally posted by octalpus
    You can actually get those a good bit smaller/easier to manage. There's a guy with one just a bit smaller than that, same capacity, who does street fairs with us on weekends.
    Unfortunately, it would have to be a GREAT deal smaller for my little POS 2.5 liter to haul it!

:(

Leave a comment:

Working...
X