X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TheCotMan
    replied
    Originally posted by ELYK6002
    Hi, I'm a Linux newb for the most part. Next year in school though, I will be taking a C programming independent study with a friend and we plan on using Linux programming because of the book we intend on using (something he found, not really sure what it is). I was wondering what distro you would recommend for programming usage. The processor of the laptop will be an AMD64 if that makes a difference for compatibility.
    We have other threads on "which Linux distro" but I don't recall any that focused also on ".. for a student of programming." (You can still search the forums.)

My suggestion:
    Try several, settle on the one you like the most. Here are four I suggest depending on your present skills and desire:
    * RedHat
    * Slackware
    * Debian
    * Gentoo
    They each have advantages and diadvantages.

Leave a comment:

• octalpus
    replied
    Originally posted by ELYK6002
    Hi, I'm a Linux newb for the most part. Next year in school though, I will be taking a C programming independent study with a friend and we plan on using Linux programming because of the book we intend on using (something he found, not really sure what it is). I was wondering what distro you would recommend for programming usage. The processor of the laptop will be an AMD64 if that makes a difference for compatibility.
    Any distro will install to a laptop and comes with gcc. It's just a matter of your personal preferences. Search the forums for the 8,327 other posts about recommending a distro.

Leave a comment:

• ELYK6002
    started a topic Laptop Linux Distro

Laptop Linux Distro

Working...
X