X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• e.star
    replied
    Originally posted by hackajar
    We really want to stress a "free flow of information" environment. There will be some very interesting minds there, and we want people to pick these people's brains, really get know know what drove them to write x tool or y paper, etc. Sure there will be booze and loud music, but really it's all about learning. Maybe you have an idea to improve a tool, or want to create a new one. You can get some insight from people who were/are in the same position your in now, and see how they overcame obsticles.

And yes, once again, there will be booze and loud music :surprised
    right. i agree that the free flow of information opportunity is a big factor. my point was, though, that some people like a party. so if you promote it as BOTH a party and an opportunity to talk to the interesting minds, you might be able to draw a larger crowd.

the outside/inside setup (if i understood correctly) seems to work well with that. if people want to dance/listen to music and chat, they go one place, if they want to just hang out and chat, they go to another. also, i'm still wondering what kind of music it will be.

Leave a comment:

• Deviant Ollam
    replied
    once again, there will be booze and loud music :surprised
    that's all well and good, as long as it's consigned to somewhere else than the main gathering area. you mentioned a patio or other room, that's cool with me. i had understood this as a pre-con event for a "meeting of the minds" before the kickoff of the whole main thrust of defcon. if people want to nod their heads and just groove to sweet beats they can lay by a pool back at the alexis. i dig a party vibe, but i don't want to have to raise my voice a whole lot to converse with people at the summit.

just to clarify, however, i'm speaking about the loud music primarily here with my concerns. alcohol goes well with every single aspect of life and should never be curtailed for any reason.
    Last edited by Deviant Ollam; June 14th, 2005, 17:12. Reason: clarification

Leave a comment:

• hackajar
    replied
    Originally posted by e.star
    gotcha. what kind of music are you planning on having? i'm just thinking that you could promote it as more of a party (at least the outside part) as well to attract people..
    We really want to stress a "free flow of information" environment. There will be some very interesting minds there, and we want people to pick these people's brains, really get know know what drove them to write x tool or y paper, etc. Sure there will be booze and loud music, but really it's all about learning. Maybe you have an idea to improve a tool, or want to create a new one. You can get some insight from people who were/are in the same position your in now, and see how they overcame obsticles.

And yes, once again, there will be booze and loud music :surprised

Leave a comment:

• e.star
    replied
    We will have a DJ on balcony area (takes up half of location) and it will be "relaxed mixer" inside. This should cover both sides of coin. You get your technical mixer, and a little bit of "Party likes it's..." side as well.

-Hackajar
    gotcha. what kind of music are you planning on having? i'm just thinking that you could promote it as more of a party (at least the outside part) as well to attract people..

Leave a comment:

• hackajar
    replied
    Originally posted by e.star
    so hey is this meant to be more of a "mixer" or will it be a party-like atmosphere? (it seems like the former.) i think its always a good thing to have music and not to force the mixing so much..

i'm good at throwing parties and would be willing to help w/ publicity. and well if you need a dj (since it looks like i'll be there anyway)...
    We will have a DJ on balcony area (takes up half of location) and it will be "relaxed mixer" inside. This should cover both sides of coin. You get your technical mixer, and a little bit of "Party likes it's..." side as well.

-Hackajar

Leave a comment:

• e.star
    replied
    musique?

so hey is this meant to be more of a "mixer" or will it be a party-like atmosphere? (it seems like the former.) i think its always a good thing to have music and not to force the mixing so much..

i'm good at throwing parties and would be willing to help w/ publicity. and well if you need a dj (since it looks like i'll be there anyway)...

Leave a comment:

• hackajar
    replied
    Good thinking. I'll talk with EFF about this.

Leave a comment:

• erehwon
    replied
    This is correct.

Now some of my colleagues have already mentioned that not recovering cost to thow event "Is just plain stupid". After much disscussing about this, crunching numbers, and seeing the unrecoverable cost associated, my final response was "I don't care, 100% tickets go to EFF".
    Having a little expertise in managing training events (Keeping them out of jail, fudging sushi expense reports, etc.), I would try to hunt down some sponsors, call on the vendors from previous years Defcon's to cough up some $$$ for the shuttle, the open bar, whatever...

Worse case, if the sponsors don't materialize, or it ends up being that you can't cover most of your expenses, see if you can convert those Summit tickets to VIP passes at the EFF dunk tank.

Leave a comment:

• hackajar
    replied
    This is correct.

Now some of my colleagues have already mentioned that not recovering cost to thow event "Is just plain stupid". After much disscussing about this, crunching numbers, and seeing the unrecoverable cost associated, my final response was "I don't care, 100% tickets go to EFF".

So any way you cut it, all sponsors of event get no recovery on investment monitarily. And they are all OK with that.

With that said, cost effecting event hold no bearring on if EFF gets $840 or $3000, they still got something.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    28 tickets have been sold so far.

So $840 to the EFF so far?

Leave a comment:

• hackajar
    replied
    Originally posted by highwizard
    So how many Regular (non-speaker) tickets have you sold so far?
    28 tickets have been sold so far.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    You still never answered my original question.

How many "regular" people are attending?

Edit: Oh and there is this could thing called an "Edit" button. It allows you to respond in a single post instead of posting multiples.
    Last edited by highwizard; June 9th, 2005, 16:19. Reason: Showing the obvious

Leave a comment:

• hackajar
    replied
    Originally posted by kallahar
    http://www.vegas.com/nightlife/bars/icehouse.html

Looks like it's near downtown.

A free keg of guiness would be nice ;)
    Oddly enough, they do not have their own website. I am waiting for their logo so I could link to google maps. Perhaps I should put something up in mean time. Good catch you guys!

Leave a comment:

• hackajar
    replied
    (who bills themself at their own event - ego?)
    I would hope not. But do note all guests are in alphabetic order, and I put myself last. Just trying to show "speakers" will be at event. Is this bad?

Leave a comment:

• hackajar
    replied
    It's not too bad a location, but the distance may factor in a bit. Definitely not walking distance - which adds more money to the price (cab or gas).
    This is a good point. Maybe we should have a shuttle from BH and/or DC? Thoughts?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X