Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hackajar
    replied
    There are now 45 Online tickets left. There will be only 20 reserved at door (for those that have not made will call arrangements)

[Edit]

Online ticket sales will end Monday July 25, 2005
    Last edited by hackajar; July 21, 2005, 17:19.

Leave a comment:

• astcell
    replied
    Still thinking of going here, I won't mind a buck or two extra at the door.

Leave a comment:

• hackajar
    replied
    The final list of Featured Guest is now fully updated and online

Here is the full list:

Cory Altheide
    Kevin Bankston
    Valerie Blanchard
    Greg Conti
    Gene Cronk
    Nick Farr
    Julian Grizzard
    Eric Hanson
    Paul Holman
    Dan Kaminsky
    William Knowles
    Jesse Krembs
    Ben Laurie
    Johnny Long
    Raffael Marty
    Time O'Brien
    Deviant Ollam
    Kurt Opsahl
    RenderMan
    Jim Rennie
    Russ Rogers
    Seth Schoen
    Wendy Seltzer
    Adam Shostack
    Elizabeth Stark
    Grifter
    Tierra
    Paul Vixie

Check out their bio's at http://www.dc702summit.org/home/?m=3

Leave a comment:

• hackajar
    replied
    Featured Guests - Last Call

Today is the last day for "Feautred Guests" to sign-up for event. If you missed out on the open call, you can still Buy a ticket and attend as guest. Saturday July 9, 2005 we will formally annouce all featured guests attending. You can get a peak at 90% of our featured guests now by visiting the Featured Guests section of our web site.

Leave a comment:

• hackajar
    replied
    Originally posted by falconred
    Oh cool, say hi from me! Is he still sneaking into bars he's been thrown out of?
    I'll have to ask him about that! Sounds like some fun stories.

BTW he might be appearing at theSummit as well. Will know more tomorrow.

Additional Notes: Dan K. just signed on this moring. Looks to be good times in Sin city!

Leave a comment:

• falconred
    replied
    Originally posted by hackajar
    For sure man! Spoonm say hi btw, hanging out with him this week.
    Oh cool, say hi from me! Is he still sneaking into bars he's been thrown out of?

Leave a comment:

• hackajar
    replied
    For sure man! Spoonm say hi btw, hanging out with him this week.

Leave a comment:

• falconred
    replied
    Originally posted by hackajar
    We also picked up two more guests from the Hacker Foundation, and another DefCon speaker Jim Rennie who will be talking about creative commons at DefCon.

Yes, and once people learn they can hear me expound on the Creative Commons, tickets are SURE to go quickly. Act now!

Leave a comment:

• hackajar
    replied
    Ticket sales have picked up quickly with our mention on SANS internet storm center (isc.sans.org). If you were thinking of buying a ticket and have not done so, space is filling up quick, so hurray!

We also picked up two more guests from the Hacker Foundation, and another DefCon speaker Jim Rennie who will be talking about creative commons at DefCon.

We also have revised the website and added some more information and activities pages.

Leave a comment:

• Dented-Halo
    replied
    You got one more ticket sold. I'll be there from Tokyo :)

Leave a comment:

• hackajar
    replied
    Originally posted by spahkle
    I think the whole point of the excercise is to appeal to peoples desire to interface with a lot of the 'main body of knowledge' being presented at Defcon, prior to crazy-madhouse-rushed weekend we all know it will be.

Who really cares about the dancing? There's an entire weekend for it. While background music is helpful, the party environment is usually "HEY, HOW ARE YOU? I'M GREAT, HOW ARE YOU? I WAS WONDERING ABOUT..." At which point people attempt to get AS FAR away from the music as possible to have a decent conversation. The opportunity to have all these people in the same room very rare indeed.

I'm of the opinion that there will be three days/nights of excessive loud music, dancing, socializing, etc.. why even try to bill this as the same, just earlier in the week?

Fwiw, if previous responsibilities don't get in the way, I plan on attending. It sounds like a lot of fun.
    This is my EXACT thought on the whole event. Just FYI I'm at SANSFIre, and there are some 'big thinkers' that may be added to 'Feature Guest" list by time I retun (Sunday) that have soild interest in such a venture. So keep your eyes on the site!!

Leave a comment:

• spahkle
    replied
    I think the whole point of the excercise is to appeal to peoples desire to interface with a lot of the 'main body of knowledge' being presented at Defcon, prior to crazy-madhouse-rushed weekend we all know it will be.
    Originally posted by e.star
    i'm not implying that it should be a huge rave-like atmosphere, but there should just be music somewhere so that if people feel inclined to dance or chat and listen, they can do so.
    Who really cares about the dancing? There's an entire weekend for it. While background music is helpful, the party environment is usually "HEY, HOW ARE YOU? I'M GREAT, HOW ARE YOU? I WAS WONDERING ABOUT..." At which point people attempt to get AS FAR away from the music as possible to have a decent conversation. The opportunity to have all these people in the same room very rare indeed.

I'm of the opinion that there will be three days/nights of excessive loud music, dancing, socializing, etc.. why even try to bill this as the same, just earlier in the week?

Fwiw, if previous responsibilities don't get in the way, I plan on attending. It sounds like a lot of fun.

Leave a comment:

• e.star
    replied
    Originally posted by noid
    Problem I see is that trying to throw an event thats both catering to a 'meeting of the minds' and 'party people' is somewhat mutually exclusive. I'm not saying smart people dont party and that people who party arent smart, but billing it as a party means the signal to noise ratio will go out of whack. The last thing your event needs is a gaggle of idiot ravers detracting from the smart people who have volunteered their time to talk.
    i know a lot of very intelligent people that like to party. a LOT. and it seems like the statement of mutual exclusivity and the subsequent disclaimer are at odds with each other.

let me make this clear-- i'm not implying that it should be a huge rave-like atmosphere, but there should just be music somewhere so that if people feel inclined to dance or chat and listen, they can do so. kind of a party where you can sit and talk to people too. i've been to many of those types of events, and they surely seem to facilitate communication. it sounds like it may very well be this kind of event, so if you bill it as more of a chill out party thing, people might be more inclined to come. i would just hate to see it cancelled.

how are ticket sales going?

Leave a comment:

• hackajar
    replied
    It should be noted that DefCon, while great, and very productive (for me anyways) weekend, I've always been bumbed that speakers and pannalist are too busy for small talk. Usually a "hey it's you, great to meet you! *shake hand* OK see you later!" is the normal outcome when I have good interesting questions to ask someone. This is just a great way to strap down these busy people and be able to have more then a 30sec conversation with them.

There are not speeches and talks at theSummit, but just the people behind these great talks. I certinly do not want to take away from what is DC, but rather add value, and raise some good money for the EFF at the same time.

Leave a comment:

• noid
    replied
    Problem I see is that trying to throw an event thats both catering to a 'meeting of the minds' and 'party people' is somewhat mutually exclusive. I'm not saying smart people dont party and that people who party arent smart, but billing it as a party means the signal to noise ratio will go out of whack. The last thing your event needs is a gaggle of idiot ravers detracting from the smart people who have volunteered their time to talk.

Also, I've read the thread a couple of times and I think I may be missing something, but isnt this like throwing a mini-defcon just hours before the opening of Defcon itself? Seems a tad redundant, or maybe I'm missing the point.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X