Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shell Account

Hello Guys,
    I'm Rob and I'm new around here. I have searched the web on this, but have gotten some mixed results. I do not know much about what are good quality features that I should be looking for in a shell account. I understand that free shell accounts do not offer much. I am currently using SDF.

My question then is, do you (guys) have any recommendations on what you use or would suggest using? I am looking for an account in which I can explore some of the more advanced commands while still not paying much. I read (from a guide by Meinel) that a shell account is the best source for learning about UNIX and other basic internet exploration techniques.

If this is regarded as a stupid thread, I apologize in advanced. I am new here and searching did not result in anything of help. I thank you for your time.

-Rob

Originally posted by robman
    Hello Guys,
    I'm Rob and I'm new around here. I have searched the web on this, but have gotten some mixed results. I do not know much about what are good quality features that I should be looking for in a shell account. I understand that free shell accounts do not offer much. I am currently using SDF.

My question then is, do you (guys) have any recommendations on what you use or would suggest using? I am looking for an account in which I can explore some of the more advanced commands while still not paying much. I read (from a guide by Meinel) that a shell account is the best source for learning about UNIX and other basic internet exploration techniques.

If this is regarded as a stupid thread, I apologize in advanced. I am new here and searching did not result in anything of help. I thank you for your time.

-Rob

Let me get this straight...you will read the garbage by Carolyn but not the Forum rules about the "Hey I'm new" post?
    perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

Comment

I read (from a guide by Meinel)

You admit this... in public... wow... you must be as dumb as you look!
      the fresh princess of 1338

What did I do to make you think I give a shit?

Comment

My question then is, do you (guys) have any recommendations on what you use or would suggest using?
        First, read a book that had to do with Your chosen *NIX OS. There are many UNIX-like OS from which you can choose that may or may not include UNIX in their name. Common systems include BSD Flavors, Solaris, and Linux. Many of these are "free" (pay little or no money to download or buy and install.)

O'Reilly and Associates has great books for nerds and geeks. Their "In a Nutshell" books are terse, and easy to digest. Many assume you are a techie in some capacity before you read them.

Join a User Group, 2600 groups and or local DCGroup. There are UNIX Users' Groups and Linux Users' Groups all over the world. Many have helpful people willing to help new users install a Free operating system on your home computer. (Before you ask, yes, you can keep MacOS or Windows on your present machine *and* still be able to boot into another *NIX OS, or you may even choose to run a copy that boots from a CD and stores a small amount of information on your hard disk.)

Reading a book about hacking to become a hacker is like watching the Super Bowl will make you the star quarterback-- Being a spectator is not the same thing as being a player. Just do it.

(I am not going to restate the constructive criticism offered to you above by others.)
        [They said it. I don't have to.]

[Added content:]
        Just so I am clear on this: I have not read any of her books yet. People with opinions I value, rate her book as poor. I trust them. I'd rather read the forums than read a book that is rated prooly by valued peers.

Your cited exmple on "shell accounts" is dated. It is no longer *really* useful. Back in the early 1990's, getting a *NIX system with high-speed Internet access was expensive, and required technical experience not as widely available as it is today. This is why paying for a shell account was a good way to get started

Join a user group. Install a free *NIX system on a home computer. You'll learn more.
        Last edited by TheCotMan; June 11, 2005, 00:29. Reason: grammar, spelling, added content after []

Comment

I think you should visit: http://www.shell.com

They also Offer Credit cards, not just accounts.

Comment

publicly, sdf is the best your going to get to a shell account. I've been to DefCon's where anonymous people gave me user/pass to "special" shell accounts. All I think is "this MUST be monitored havily". So keep using SDF, and take advantange. If this is not "*NIX* enough for you, then load VM Ware or a straight *NIX boot box from a spare box laying around. Don't come bitching to us for a "Special" *NIX account.

/Drunkin rant
            "Never Underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups"

Comment

Really.. as Cot said.. those days are more or less gone. Why not just download knoppix, trinux, FreeSBIE, etc and have all you need right there.. unrestricted. No install needed.. you can reboot and be back in your cozy windows box...

(And if you did not get the hint, mentioning CM's name here will get you laughed at and possibly peed on. Someone gave me one of her books one time.. it made dandy kindling.. )
              Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

Comment

Well, being flamed for the first time wasn't so bad.

Thanks to those who did put in your comments. I guess I never really stepped out of the realm of those books yet. I actually got the link to Def Con from her site.

Anyway, I did not realize that the need for a shell account is gone. I am in fact downloading Mandriva Linux right now, I just did not understand it had the same effect as a shell account. Thanks for solving this one quick guys.

Comment

I did not realize that the need for a shell account is gone.
                  The need to pay for or use remote shell accounts in order to learn is only outdated, it is not gone.

When you install your own copy of a *NIX system, and start learning about being an admin (root) you will be able to give yourself a shell account on your own box. If you have broadband access (DSL or "CableModem") and configure your *NIX system to use it, then you have more control than a remote online shell account because you have root access to give yourself control to do whatever you want.

Your own box, where you are admin, and can give yourself a shell account with whatever controls you desire is just a much better learning experience than some free access or pay service to a remote shell account.

You can try to learn about being a mechanic by driving a rental car, or you can work with buddies at a local User Group and assemble a kit-car-- and when you are done, you own it.
                  Last edited by TheCotMan; June 12, 2005, 09:09. Reason: typo fix: cat instead of car

Comment

Well, being flamed for the first time wasn't so bad.

Thanks to those who did put in your comments. I guess I never really stepped out of the realm of those books yet. I actually got the link to Def Con from her site.

Anyway, I did not realize that the need for a shell account is gone. I am in fact downloading Mandriva Linux right now, I just did not understand it had the same effect as a shell account. Thanks for solving this one quick guys.
                    Before you blow your system away.. you may want to try knoppix.
                    Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

Comment

I don't plan on leaving Windows. That would be a sin!

No, I am going to partition my HD and leave just a little space for Linux. I plan to dual boot. Maybe Knoppix isn't such a bad idea at first though. Thanks for the link.

Comment

learn zsh;
                        man zsh
                        learn about what is .zshrc

also read documentation on the official zsh website or any of its mirrors.

zsh is the superior shell, period.

If you want to take it further buy "From Bash to Z shell: Conquering the command line"

and one tip, read some old emails from hackers back in the day. You will understand why to mention that you read Meinel is, beyond embarassing.
                        Delicious Poison:

The difference between a nerd and a geek? Well a nerd does not wear Spider Man butt huggers.

Comment

Working...
                        X