X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FormatSee
    replied
    Echolink

Why not set up an Echolink node, which might present some possibilities. You may or may not use voice which might settle some of the legalities. eQSO could be another possibility, because it permits the presence of non-hams in a SWL mode.

Leave a comment:

• astcell
    replied
    I have contributed to many of the scav hunt lists an would love to continue to do so if a list of ideas is desired.

And if I make it to Defcon I may not have a Yaesu, but I should have an MBITR. :>

Leave a comment:

• pinguino
    replied
    Originally posted by astcell
    Sounds like a Scavenger Hunt item.
    ive almost put ham radio stuff into the scavenger hunt so many times, but it never seemed like there were enough people with radios who were playing to be able to make it fun (and you'd have to do it in front of a scavenger hunt person.) we had a whole sub-contest written out one year where we were going to do a foxhunt-type-thing but didn't think anyone would actually play. I know one year we did give out a page that had a bunch of frequencies written out on it that you had to match up or something, but nobody did it..

i did foxhunts when i was a kid.. they were fun =) one year they had me be the bait and walk around a mall with a radio in my backpack. i didnt realize all these old retired guys were listening into me and my friend talking, i assumed it was broadcasting a beep or something.

Leave a comment:

• noid
    replied
    Ignore this clown. I remember him. He went crying to DT over his rough treatment on the forums. Remind me to bring him some Vagasil at Defcon.

Heh, I think I even still have his email in an archived inbox, I'll see if I can dig it up.

Leave a comment:

• TheCotMan
    replied
    Originally posted by telemonster
    do any of them have meaningful content?

I'm guessing...
    No need to guess. I'll tell you that skroo does have posts with useful and meaningful content.

Leave a comment:

• skroo
    replied
    Working great? It's kind of funny that you still remember me. Heh. You've been reloading ever since that day, waiting I'm sure.
    Yes, I have nothing better to do with my time than obsess over you.

FWIW, you're still a tool. Nice try at being clever, though. Didn't work out very well for you, but them's the breaks.

Have a nice day.

Leave a comment:

• telemonster
    replied
    Originally posted by skroo
    Hey! I remember you! You're 'that guy'! How's that whole 'pissing and moaning about how unfairly I was treated on the forums' thing working out for you these days?
    Working great? It's kind of funny that you still remember me. Heh. You've been reloading ever since that day, waiting I'm sure.

OMGWTFONOESNOHAX0RING4U!!!inspanishthefirstoneisup sidedown!@!
    Sorry, don't follow the spanish part.

Yeah, because nothing screams 'I ARE TEH HAX0R!!booleantrue!#!' like fucking over the freq. some poor damn speaker is trying to talk to several hundred people on. Thanks for screwing everyone else who paid to see the talk over so you could be a wireless radio terrorist marconi ninja. You must be so proud to be a role model for autistic 12-year-olds everywhere.
    I've never seen that happen at Defcon.

Awwww, why? I mean, if you're gonna screw with the people presenting the talks, why not go the whole hog and send room 2600 nine thousand rolls of toilet paper? That would be so 1337, because, like, it'd be room 2600 and 2600 is a magazine, and this one time, 13*200 made 2600!!onoesones!@! LOLZ, HARHARHARTEHFUNNAY!

Not. FOAD.
    So your reply carried nothing useful to add to the conversation. So if I go back thru all 1,700 (JESUS FUCKING CHRIST MAN DO YOU HAVE A DC FORUMS "NEW POST" LED SIGNBOARD IN YOUR BEDROOM OR WHAT) posts of yours, do any of them have meaningful content?

I'm guessing...

no.

G'day.

Leave a comment:

• skroo
    replied
    151.900 has been (since 1995?) the "unofficial" CON frequency. Sometimes (Like Beyond HOPE) there was a Taxi cab on the frequency.
    Hey! I remember you! You're 'that guy'! How's that whole 'pissing and moaning about how unfairly I was treated on the forums' thing working out for you these days?

The goons use Motorola radios with encryption. No chance of cracking it, already been thru the Motorola securenet white papers.
    OMGWTFONOESNOHAX0RING4U!!!inspanishthefirstoneisup sidedown!@!

Last year the wireless PA was gone. Hopefully it will return this year.
    Yeah, because nothing screams 'I ARE TEH HAX0R!!booleantrue!#!' like fucking over the freq. some poor damn speaker is trying to talk to several hundred people on. Thanks for screwing everyone else who paid to see the talk over so you could be a wireless radio terrorist marconi ninja. You must be so proud to be a role model for autistic 12-year-olds everywhere.

Generally a good idea to leave the hotel/housekeeping people alone.
    Awwww, why? I mean, if you're gonna screw with the people presenting the talks, why not go the whole hog and send room 2600 nine thousand rolls of toilet paper? That would be so 1337, because, like, it'd be room 2600 and 2600 is a magazine, and this one time, 13*200 made 2600!!onoesones!@! LOLZ, HARHARHARTEHFUNNAY!

Not. FOAD.
    Last edited by skroo; July 17, 2005, 16:44.

Leave a comment:

• telemonster
    replied
    Defcon HAM crap

151.900 has been (since 1995?) the "unofficial" CON frequency. Sometimes (Like Beyond HOPE) there was a Taxi cab on the frequency. Philly was always quiet (Pumpcons) , as was DC (Summercons). If it becomes too much of an issue everyone moved to CTCSS. It seems to have died off mostly, as everyone moved to FRS radios and no longer pimp the modded Alincos of the past.

Last year there wasn't too much activity on the local HAM freqs. There is an AES in town, and they sold an unbelivable about gear. And didn't question the lack of callsigns. I'm not sure how active the HAM hobby is, so the older guys might be happy to see younger kids interested at all in radio.

The goons use Motorola radios with encryption. No chance of cracking it, already been thru the Motorola securenet white papers.

Last year the wireless PA was gone. Hopefully it will return this year.

Generally a good idea to leave the hotel/housekeeping people alone.

Leave a comment:

• skroo
    replied
    Originally posted by alklloyd
    Skroo, was wondering if you knew about this:
    http://forum.defcon.org/showthread.php?t=5748&page=2
    Mods, sorry about the OTP...Skroo's messages are blocked and I did not want to bother Nulltone.

Al
    Yep, got it, thanks - cotman sent it to me a while back. It looks really damned nifty and I'm going to try to make it over there, but seeing as how I'm still struggling with work over my time off to actually *go* to Vegas (they're being difficult largely because they can) it may be a bit difficult. Definitely do want to see it, though, even if that means driving out to Vegas some weekend just to visit it...

Leave a comment:

• alklloyd
    replied
    Skroo, was wondering if you knew about this:
    http://forum.defcon.org/showthread.php?t=5748&page=2
    Mods, sorry about the OTP...Skroo's messages are blocked and I did not want to bother Nulltone.

Al

Leave a comment:

• skroo
    replied
    Originally posted by bascule
    1. Use of profanity is compulsory
    And make it *good* profanity... Saying 'boobies' followed by schoolboy giggling is not profanity.

2. IDing is expressly forbidden. You should only ID with a special handle of your choice that meets the requirements of rule #1, such as 'cockgoblin' or 'cumchugger'
    Or ID with the call of someone you really, really don't like.

3. NEVER wait for the courtesy tone/squelch drop when using the repeater. If the repeater times out while you're transmitting, you win a prize
    If you can lock the repeater, the repeater is the prize. Now go find it.

4. Transmitting music is still taboo. If you want to transmit music, use the police band
    Or FRS. Seriously, I hate FRS and maintain that the best thing to come over the air on it was three solid hours of Oingo Bongo on (IIRC) channel 13 at DC9. Well, that and 'blueberry clitoris'.

Originally posted by A
    5. License, ummm, you need a license for this thing?
    See addendum to 2. above.

6. The band for 90% of users goes from 108-221.950 MHz & 303-580 MHz.
    Correction: the band for 90% of users goes from the audible range to infrared. The other 10% are somewhere either side of those.

7. If hams in southern Utah arn't complaining about you, you
    need a bigger amp.
    Utah? Feh. Guatemala. Utah's a piss across the puddle from Vegas.

8. Stay off of the pirate FM frequency used by Defcon Radio.
    Indeed.

Leave a comment:

• nak
    replied
    LosT, for your design, here is how morse code is transmitted most efficiently (and most commonly). We should both learn morse code, get general licenses and rigs, we can keep in contact that way. :-P

*edit*
    Originally posted by theprez98
    That article is interesting, but then everyone would have to learn to send morse code (harder than copying it!) but with a little practice it could be a more efficient way of sending messages, and it would reduce the amount of buttons on cellphones.
    I was thinking of this for a desgin:
    http://www.hackingisfun.com/imglib/gif/morsevssms.gif
    Last edited by nak; July 2, 2005, 22:07.

Leave a comment:

• theprez98
    replied
    Speaking of Morse code:

http://hardware.slashdot.org/article...id=215&tid=137

Leave a comment:

• LosT
    replied
    Speaking of HAMs, I couldn't sleep tonight, so while laying there trying to sleep I came up with a basic design for a device that takes Morse and translates it to spoken English text....and from there it would be trivial to send it to the net, an email ,etc....

LosT

Leave a comment:

Working...
X