Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What type of locks should I expect at the contest?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• renderman
    replied
    Originally posted by Deviant Ollam
    you know, renderman will be part of my presentation showcasing some l33t handcuff skills, or the rumor goes. i just can't wait to see if he will be picking them, shimming them, or contorting his body and arms in order to wriggle out of them with no tools at all.

then again, maybe it's all just a rumor. i guess you'll have to show up to see what happens.

I think it all depends on how drunk I am. I'm no Houdini, so don't be expecting anything like that, just a demonstration of things

Leave a comment:

• Deviant Ollam
    replied
    Originally posted by lil_freak
    we even have handcuffs that you can fiddle with.
    you know, renderman will be part of my presentation showcasing some l33t handcuff skills, or the rumor goes. i just can't wait to see if he will be picking them, shimming them, or contorting his body and arms in order to wriggle out of them with no tools at all.

then again, maybe it's all just a rumor. i guess you'll have to show up to see what happens.

Leave a comment:

• lil_freak
    replied
    Originally posted by Deviant Ollam
    i would doubt that there will be combination locks
    We will have a combination lock on the Obstacle Course, but that will be the only place where you would find one. We also have a tubular lock on the course, as well as a few other things.

Other than the Obstacle Course, we do offer the Demo Boards which have a variety of locks, we even have handcuffs that you can fiddle with.

(although i suggested that there be a "prize board" with small, cubicle style boxes all behind locked doors with various exotic locks. if people pick them open at any point they can claim a prize listed on a card inside the box. don't know if that was going to happen or not this year.)
    We took this suggestion into consideration, however I'm not going to tell you what we decided on, so I guess inorder to find out you'll have to come and check out the contest.

Leave a comment:

• Deviant Ollam
    replied
    Originally posted by wsbpress
    What was there last year?
    i was only in the first and second round of competition last year, but at that level the locks were relatively standard... sort of Kwikset-grade pin tumblers with traditional L keyways

i think that for the final round of competition there was an assortment of more challenging locks. not everyone finished, if i recall.

Will there be tubulars, combos, SFIC's, or what?
    i would doubt that there will be combination locks since they are either shimmable (no challenge there) or require long, drawn-out safecracker type manipulation that isn't typically covered in sporting groups. tubular locks and SFIC cores require specialized tools beyond standard picks and thus don't often make an appearance in timed rounds. (although i suggested that there be a "prize board" with small, cubicle style boxes all behind doors secured with various exotic locks. people could attempt to pick them open at their liesure during the three day con, and anyone who did so would be able to claim a prize listed on a card inside the box. it would require a lot of setup time, however, and i don't think that is going to happen this year.)

i don't speak for the organizers of the LPCON in any way, but i imagine we'll be seeing more of the same type of locks that have been used before. varjeal of LP101 is contributing them this time around, i've heard, so we can be certain that they'll operate well and be pinned alike, etc.

This is my first DEFCON and I am really looking forward to it. I just have no idea what to expect.
    great to have you. if you find me at any point be sure to say hi. i'll offer the first drink, the second one's on you.

Leave a comment:

• What type of locks should I expect at the contest?

What was there last year?

Will there be tubulars, combos, SFIC's, or what?

This is my first DEFCON and I am really looking forward to it. I just have no idea what to expect.
Working...
X