exotic meat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• exotic meat?

just curious... is there a chance that anyone has plans to bring some exotic meat to the BBQ this year? last time around i recall a large number of sauces and spreads (which were terrific, btw, and i look forward to seeing people's creations this year) but the meat itself was your typical BBQ flesh... burgers, dogs, steaks, some pork, etc.

any chance that someone might surprise us with venison or bear meat? maybe elk or moose, perhaps? just sniffing around for some potentially interesting eats. if anyone was thinking about a supply like that, please feel free to let me know... i'd be happy to provide liquid refreshment of your choice if you were to set aside a little taste of something cool like that.

always looking to expand my horizons.
    Last edited by Deviant Ollam; July 19, 2005, 15:32.
    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
    - Trent Reznor

heh... speak of the devil. look at this supplier from up in Seattle. perhaps we can go in together on an order. they're running a special for the whole month... "July is National Bison Month and we are giving away 1 FREE pound of Buffalo Patties with every Order of $100 or more in Product."

personally, my eyebrows are raised at the prospect of Elk and Rattlesnake. any other takers? here's a potential order...
    meat ............... cost ... qty ...... total
    ----------------------------------------------
    yak burgers ........ $9.00 ... 2 ...... $18.00
    caribou burgers ... $13.00 ... 1 ...... $13.00
    elk burgers ........ $9.00 ... 1 ....... $9.00
    gator sirloin cut . $12.00 ... 1 ...... $12.00
    whole rattlesnake . $68.00 ... 1 ...... $68.00
    total ................................ $120.00

(then there's the free pound of buffalo meat)

of course, that rattlesnake is pretty damn pricey. might be a better idea if we just ordered a nice quantity of the burgers and gator tail... could spread the goodness around a lot more. this might work better...
    meat ............... cost ... qty ...... total
    yak burgers ........ $9.00 ... 2 ...... $18.00
    caribou burgers ... $13.00 ... 2 ...... $26.00
    elk burgers ........ $9.00 ... 4 ...... $36.00
    gator sirloin cut . $12.00 ... 2 ...... $24.00
    total ................................ $104.00

(still gets us the free pound of buffalo meat)

then again, i'm potentially the only nutjob trying to devour the flesh of half a dozen animals in one afternoon. if it's just me then the heck with it. if others are interested, by all means let's paypal around a bit and either place and order or have one of our seattle people pick things up from the exoticmeat shop if they're driving down.
    Last edited by Deviant Ollam; July 19, 2005, 15:31.
    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
    - Trent Reznor

Comment

If I were able to make it this year I would be all over this. Who wouldn't want to ingest as many rare animals as possible? If you can't get anyone to throw in money you might just buy it yourself then "mention a whole bunch" how you spent $120 to get all this crazy meat down there. I'm sure someone would be willing to cover part of the cost once they try your "Southern Style, Grilled BBQ Chopped Water Antelope" or what not.

-zac
      %54%68%69%73%20%69%73%20%6E%6F%74%20%68%65%78

Comment

One of the joys of being local to Seattle is that I can actually go to their store (and do so regularly). Earlier this year I cooked up some Kangroo burgers with Buffalo sausage. They also sell aligator and turtle, which rules because I grew up on aligator and Evil grew up eating turtle. If I was driving to Defcon I'd bring some goodies down with me, but I am not.

I return whatever i wish . Its called FREEDOWM OF RANDOMNESS IN A HECK . CLUSTERED DEFEATED CORn FORUM . Welcome to me

Comment

Last I talked to Guile about the TBBQ, he was planning on getting some venison out there. I'll have to ask him and see what he says.. Venison is very common here where Im at, I frequent the Texas Hillcountry, assuming I could figure out some way to get the meat from here to Vegas without it going bad, and still being cost effective.. I'll have to work on that..

Comment

I just got back from Colorado.. and Elk was very common at resturaunts there.

also I went to post this as an edit, and it said I was only allowed to post once in 60 seconds, then it appeared as an additional post.. go figure..

Comment

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam
              by all means let's paypal around a bit and either place and order or have one of our seattle people pick things up from the exoticmeat shop if they're driving down.
              I can't cook (and, honestly, don't want to try), but I said I'd offer some money. So, yeah, I'd be down for that.

Comment

Originally posted by noid
                One of the joys of being local to Seattle is that I can actually go to their store (and do so regularly). Earlier this year I cooked up some Kangroo burgers with Buffalo sausage. They also sell aligator and turtle, which rules because I grew up on aligator and Evil grew up eating turtle. If I was driving to Defcon I'd bring some goodies down with me, but I am not.

Even better is when you smoked/grilled that wild pork I brought over (got more you know...).

-JohnD

Comment

Oh darn. At first glance I thought this was a call for an "Exotic Meet'. Um, let me know when that thread gets started.
                  "Never Underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups"

Comment

Hmm. did Hackajar just suggest cannibalism of foreigners?

Comment

show of hands... who would be willing to throw money my direction (via paypal or whatnot) if we place an order? let's say that we do an order as described above, trying to stay close to the $100 mark. if we made the contribution amount around $20 that would take merely six people (myself included) to cover the whole order and (i'd imagine) the shipping. do we have five people other than myself who could put up some bucks?
                      - Trent Reznor

Comment

Originally posted by [Syntax]
                        Hmm. did Hackajar just suggest cannibalism of foreigners?
                        Very possibly maybe
                        "Never Underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups"

Comment

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam
                          personally, my eyebrows are raised at the prospect of Elk and Rattlesnake.
                          Rattlesnake's not too bad. I haven't had it in years, but from what I remember the old cliche of 'tastes like chicken' is pretty apt. It's also fairly easy to prepare - gut the snake more or less like you would a fish, peel off the skin, skewer and cook in campfire.

Damn straight it's bloody expensive there, though. We've got zillions of the little bastards slithering around here; I wonder if that's for ones without tire tracks on the meat.

Comment

It has been verified that eXtacy wil be bringing her fluffy little dog to the bbq.... i think there's an "if you can catch it, you can eat it" rule.....
                            the fresh prince of 1337

To learn how to hack; submit your request

Comment

Originally posted by [Syntax]
                              Last I talked to Guile about the TBBQ, he was planning on getting some venison out there. I'll have to ask him and see what he says.. Venison is very common here where Im at, I frequent the Texas Hillcountry, assuming I could figure out some way to get the meat from here to Vegas without it going bad, and still being cost effective.. I'll have to work on that..

I'm checking the deep freezer tonight to see what I have left. I'm sure I have some ground venison and venison steaks. I was hoping to shoot a boar this year but didn't get down to the deer lease because of work. I'll post what I have left. I might have some catfish fillets left as well if anyone is interested in some fish.
                              Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
                              -Homer Simpson

Comment

Working...
                              X