X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• czarina
    replied
    Horton Grand

I stayed at the Horton Grand in Febraury of this year, and like noid said, it's noisy and the only redeeming quality is that it is close to the conference center, and possibly the price. You can hear the music from an adjacent club, or the construction/garbage collectors outside at 5:00 AM. The price may be OK, but be wary of the little "extras" they try to tack on, or you may spend as much as if you'd stayed in a higher class of hotel and the walls are thin, so you may just hear what your neighbor is doing (or not able to do).

Because of my last experience at the Horton Grand, I'm staying off the beaten path at another hotel a few blocks away to get away from the business of that area, and if you can afford to put out the extra $30-$50 a night to stay elsewhere, I strongly suggest that you do.

Originally posted by noid
    I dislike the Horton, but price wise its the most affordable hotel within walking distance.

Another option is staying closer to the airport. There is a trolley line that runs down the water front and stops right in front of the convention center. If you look in Little Italy or around that area, you can find rooms at normal prices, then just take the trolley down to the convention center.
    Last edited by czarina; August 26, 2005, 19:27.

Leave a comment:

• astcell
    replied
    Originally posted by eris
    I'm planning on this event this year, but if anyone smears dead coon on me I'm throwing up in your mouth....
    I don't know what worse -- the people who will show up to see that or the people who want to go rub coon on you now. :> It'll be good seeing you again, be sure to sign in on the registration page (msg me if you canny find it)

Leave a comment:

• alienSkull
    replied
    Originally posted by renderman
    Crossing that damn border gets really expensive...(snip)
    Hmmm... Last time I checked (Crossed it four times in the last week) it's only $2 US or $2.50 CAN.

That’s $4 - $5 round trip. Sounds like a little exaggeration to me.

Leave a comment:

• astcell
    replied
    Originally posted by big chopper
    That photo on the top of this page is TOTALLY FAB!
    http://cooncon.org/
    --BC,

We hope to have this baby ready too.

http://23b.org/gallery/cooncon3/aae

Leave a comment:

• renderman
    replied
    Originally posted by highwizard
    Renderman can't goto Toorcon, he needs to save money to goto ShmooCon.
    Quite true. I've already got my registration in, just trying to figure out how the hell to get there

Leave a comment:

• big chopper
    replied
    Originally posted by astcell
    Cooncon is Sep 2-5. :>
    That photo on the top of this page is TOTALLY FAB!
    http://cooncon.org/
    --BC,

Leave a comment:

• octalpus
    replied
    I just got my tickets, so put me down on the confirmed for ToorCon list!

Leave a comment:

• eris
    replied

I'm planning on this event this year, but if anyone smears dead coon on me I'm throwing up in your mouth....

Leave a comment:

• highwizard
    Guest replied
    Originally posted by TwinVega
    Just stay in the US from the beginning of defcon till the end of toorcon.
    Hotels in Tijuana are cheap....

Renderman can't goto Toorcon, he needs to save money to goto ShmooCon.

Leave a comment:

• TwinVega
    replied
    Originally posted by renderman
    Crossing that damn border gets really expensive, not to mention the hotel.
    Just stay in the US from the beginning of defcon till the end of toorcon.
    Hotels in Tijuana are cheap....

Leave a comment:

• renderman
    replied
    Originally posted by astcell
    Crap, Crap, Crap, Crap, Crap, Crap, Crap, Crap, Crap, Crap, Crap!

Leave a comment:

• astcell
    replied

Leave a comment:

• renderman
    replied
    One of these years, I'll win the lottery and hit all the cons on the schedual in the year. Crossing that damn border gets really expensive, not to mention the hotel.

Someone buy me a shirt or something. I will make it to Toorcon sooner or later.

Leave a comment:

• Adrenaline
    replied
    mark me down under the 'going to toorcon' box, got my plane ticket last night. :)
    from the looks of things, looks like toorcon is gonna shape up to be a good time,
    and san diego looks like it's got some cool things going for it.

Leave a comment:

• dYn4mic
    replied
    Originally posted by noid
    I dislike the Horton, but price wise its the most affordable hotel within walking distance. My issues with the Horton are twofold. First, its a Victorian style hotel, so lots of frilly, ruffly things. Sleeping in their rooms is just plain awkward, as its quite the opposite from the spartan conditions of my bedroom at home. Second, its directly across the street from a hip-hop club.
    This is the place my friends and I crashed last year... We won't be going back this year. I don't remember there being a hip-hop club last year... buut the Victorian style beds/room/bathroom/hotel was quite contrast to what I see as good style. I also think overall it was pretty boring and weird hotel. Thanks for the info though.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X