X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• theprez98
    replied
    Originally posted by skroo
    Was PuTTY set to use telnet or SSH? Some versions came with telnet set as the default protocol, not SSH. I believe this has been changed in more recent releases, though.
    I was thinking the same thing. I haven't used it in a while, but I remember having to tweak the settings a little bit to get SSH working.

Leave a comment:

• skroo
    replied
    Originally posted by DriftKing
    I just tried Putty then, still didn't work :(
    Was PuTTY set to use telnet or SSH? Some versions came with telnet set as the default protocol, not SSH. I believe this has been changed in more recent releases, though.

I think my ISP bans Telnet and SSH
    I'd be surprised if they block SSH. However, it could be that your router doesn't have a licence for SSH, so is only running telnet (and possibly the craptastic web configurator).

Google for free shell accounts (ah, hell with it, www.nyx.net does both telnet and ssh access), set one up, use that to test your ISP's outbound telnet / SSH connectivity.

Leave a comment:

• theprez98
    replied

Ill check it out tomorow, also, what is RTFM!?
    Read the fscking manual

Leave a comment:

• DriftKing
    replied
    Originally posted by theprez98
    As noid suggested, ditch telnet. PuTTY is a decent SSH client instead of using telnet.

Ill check it out tomorow, also, what is RTFM!?

Leave a comment:

• theprez98
    replied
    Thanks for your replies ;)

Yes, I might check with ISP infact, as they may prohibit the use of telnet.

Also, when tryign to access the net interface of both (type in the IP in IE), they don't display either? But I am able to telnet to the IP of the modem?
    As noid suggested, ditch telnet. PuTTY is a decent SSH client instead of using telnet.
    Last edited by theprez98; August 11, 2005, 07:29. Reason: fixed url

Leave a comment:

• Dutch
    replied

Also, when tryign to access the net interface of both (type in the IP in IE), they don't display either? But I am able to telnet to the IP of the modem?
    Appearently the CCNA curriculum doesn't advocate the most important thing, when dealing with hardware : RTFM!

Dutch

Leave a comment:

• DriftKing
    replied

Leave a comment:

• noid
    replied
    First off, ditch telnet. Use SSH whenever possible. Second, theres a good chance that your AP/Router wont allow itself to be configured from the 'bad' side (i.e. the WAN side). My Linksys is like that. I have it set up to only be configured from a hard wired computer on the LAN side, so no one can 'reconfigure' my AP for me via the wireless connection or the Interweb. The reason you cant telnet to anything else behind the router is most likely because you have NAT set up.

A better choice for what you are doing would be to set up a small VPN (FreeSWAN, stunnel, whatever), so when you are remote you could VPN into your home network and do whatever you want. THis would also be useful if you need to keep using telnet, since your plaintext login credentials would be tucked away in an encrypted tunnel.

Leave a comment:

• TheCotMan
    replied
    Also, some WiFi router/devices will deny web/config access from the wireless network, but allow it from the wired network.

Leave a comment:

• Thorn
    replied
    Hey everyone ,

Im currently completing my CCNA (found out about defcon from Mike Lynns speach on IOS flaw hehe) and I was just wondering If someone would be able to help me?

I am having troubles with telnet on my home pc (on it atm). I have a dsl modem and belkin wifi router (cheap piece of crap ahah).

Now, I am able to telnet the IP address of the dsl modem (change few settings like password etc) but I cant access the router? I cant telnet to anything else either, just the modem. It says connection error on port 23.

So, I added port 23 to be able to be used in windows firewall, i disable my firewall and I still cant telnet to the IP of my router, nor telnet to other IP addresses?

Any suggestions to overcome the problem?

Thanks in advance
    Does the Belkin even support telnet? While some models of WiFi routers and APs do have telnet built in, most do not. About 95% only have a web interface on Port 80, although some also have "Remote Admin" web ports on other ports (typically 8080.)

As to getting outside the ASDL modem to other IP addresses, your ISP may block Port 23. Many ISPs block a number of TCP/IP and UDP ports on residential accounts.

Leave a comment:

• DriftKing
    started a topic Telnet

Telnet

Hey everyone ,

Im currently completing my CCNA (found out about defcon from Mike Lynns speach on IOS flaw hehe) and I was just wondering If someone would be able to help me?

I am having troubles with telnet on my home pc (on it atm). I have a dsl modem and belkin wifi router (cheap piece of crap ahah).

Now, I am able to telnet the IP address of the dsl modem (change few settings like password etc) but I cant access the router? I cant telnet to anything else either, just the modem. It says connection error on port 23.

So, I added port 23 to be able to be used in windows firewall, i disable my firewall and I still cant telnet to the IP of my router, nor telnet to other IP addresses?

Any suggestions to overcome the problem?

Thanks in advance
Working...
X