Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sys-error
    replied
    So we have a title of a person who studies the endocrine system vs a person who studies the internal workings of the *NIX cron daemon/crontab system or a bad spelling of a new job for a person that studies internal time? Would that be like people and their biological clocks? (heh)
    I stand corrected on my "absolutely nothing" comment. Yet another reason I enjoy these forums. That is one thing i did not consider during the convorsation with the doctor who placed the complaint. I however did get him to see how busy we are here at the TSC, and typo's can happen - quoting certain dictations he and other doctors did where there were many many errors. I simply emphasized a simple fact that the more busy and tired you are, the more likely you are to make simple mistakes. Fortunatly, he enjoyed a good debate and after two hours he was happy (more than enough time for us to log into the system and change that O to an I hehe).

"Expect our missles" instead of "Accept our missles."
    One is more like a threat, while the other sounds like an offer.
    Hence why there are multiple translators between diplomats who do not speak the same "universal" language. Very good analogy.

Two employees were yelling at each other (no threats of harm, just loud yelling and finter pointing from across a table where physical contact was not possible)
    Similar situation to that, but management at my company decided to do give the accusing party the choice of (a) accepting that both parties involved get the same actions against them, or (b) accepting that neither parties involved recieve disciplinary actions. He chose door number 2.

Leave a comment:

• TheCotMan
    replied
    Originally posted by sys-error
    its not like that user group changed your life's work from this to absolutely nothing.
    Attempting to use roots of word to understand meaning, we can see it effectively a change in title.

Endocrinology would be the study of the endocrine system that is a very interesting thing. It is one system that may be at risk when undergoing extensive liposuction (distribution of hormones throughout your body as needed, and it can totally ruin your life if parts of it should fail.)
    Endo is "internal."
    Cron is a name given to the *NIX process execution scheduling daemon which is a homonym for the rootword "chron" which is for "time."

So we have a title of a person who studies the endocrine system vs a person who studies the internal workings of the *NIX cron daemon/crontab system or a bad spelling of a new job for a person that studies internal time? Would that be like people and their biological clocks? (heh)

What is the big deal? Well, consider two super powers meeting for possible peace talks, when one writes a message to share technology and writes:
    "Expect our missles" instead of "Accept our missles."
    One is more like a threat, while the other sounds like an offer.

So now, I have a question. What is the most inane thing an employee has done for/to your company, that blew up into something it should not have been?
    Two employees were yelling at each other (no threats of harm, just loud yelling and finter pointing from across a table where physical contact was not possible) at a three person meeting and one filed a complaint (internal) and the other was sent on administrative leave, and was asked to see a shrink as a result of the complaint.

Likely result? The person who filed the complaint, who was also yelling will receive no negative action, but the other will probably come back with a note in their file with HR, and then be at risk for being prejudged guilty for even any future passionate evocation.

Sad thing? I like both people, and neither has ever yelled at me.

Leave a comment:

• sys-error
    started a topic TSC Woes

TSC Woes

Just to explain, I work the graveyard shift at a Tech Support Center for a Medical Transcription software company. My rant is about something simple that got out of hand, and I had to pick up the pieces. The goal of this post is to start a thread on
    issues (typos, slips of the tongue, etc....simple unintentional accidents) that blew out of purportion (sp?). Who knows, might be interesting.

When I came into work tonight, I was practically assaulted with demands to calm a client down due to one of our technicians accidently adding a user group in our version of RDP called Endocronology, instead of Endocrinology. Apparantly one of the doctors found out about that typo and went ballistic (I swear, docs can be so bloody inane and egotistical at times like this).

OK, yes, it was a typo and due to management, red tape, the general office mumbo-jumbo, and bureaucracy, the technician got a verbal lashing for it. As we all know, there are good and bad points to this resolution from all fronts. [rant] But c'mon doc, its not like that user group changed your life's work from this to absolutely nothing. But hey, the world and its citizens are not as intelligent as them, so what we think doesn't count (yes, I have had a doctor say exactly those words to me over the phone).[/rant]

Sometimes I love my job, the other 23/6/364...lets just leave it at that shall we? I'm just glad i did not have to be the one to speak with that technician in an official manner.

So now, I have a question. What is the most inane thing an employee has done for/to your company, that blew up into something it should not have been?
Working...
X