No announcement yet.

Def Con 14 Location Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wonder if they are going to piul the same cancellatioin stunts as the AP did. I could reserve tomorrow, cancel the next day, and the AP would still keep a day's charge.

Comment

• Originally posted by astcell
      I wonder if they are going to piul the same cancellatioin stunts as the AP did. I could reserve tomorrow, cancel the next day, and the AP would still keep a day's charge.
      I think the AP did that because they were a small ass hotel that was rapidly losing patronage and therefore used any excuse to get money I do not think the current one will be like it.
      Did Everquest teach you that?

Comment

• Originally posted by kallahar
        Remember that scene in Vegas Vacation where they go to the buffet and order food by color? Yeah, that's the circus circus buffet.

The acrobats in the gaming area were kinda cool though.

And the secne where Mr. Papageorgio gets his fake ID outside of the Riviera- seems like it is apropos for defcon...

Comment

• Originally posted by TheCotMan
          I used this "old skool technique" called them on this thing they call the telephone, and dialed the 1-800 number for reservations on this page to find out.

These are the rooms that are available:
          Standard Room-1 King Bed
          Standard Room-2 Double Beds
          Superior Room-1 King Bed
          Superior Room-2 Double Beds
          Deluxe Room-1 King Bed
          Deluxe Room-2 Double Beds

When you say you are attending with DefCon, it seems you get a flat rate for rooms depending on number of occupants:
          $92 1 or 2 people (All taxes included as of today: $100.28)
          $112 3 or 4 people (All taxes included as of today $122.08)

<...>

Someone else can do that recon.
          well, i tried some recon of my own just now but to no avail. i called 800-634-6753, the room reservations number and spoke to "Helga" who was very polite but wholly unable to help me in any way with a reservation or rate info.

i explained the dates that i wanted and mentioned that it was part of a convention. she asked the name and couldn't find DefCon anywhere. she asked the dates again and said "hmm... i think i see something... is this the national something-or-other producer's convention?" or something like that. needless to say, it was not.

"perhaps they're still in negotiations and it's not finalized yet" she suggested. i mentioned that as far as i'm aware, there are already rates quoted and people may have already started booking. "do you know the names of anyone who may have booked already?" in lieu of calling out a bunch of hacker handles, i said no. she inquired what rates i had heard, i told her the ones CotMan mentioned above.

still unable to find anything in her system about DefCon, etc etc., she was forced to admit that there was nothing she could do for me in the way of reservations. maybe others will have better luck.
          "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
          - Trent Reznor

Comment

• Originally posted by Deviant Ollam
            well, i tried some recon of my own just now but to no avail. i called 800-634-6753, the room reservations number and spoke to "Helga" who was very polite but wholly unable to help me in any way with a reservation or rate info.
            Maybe you called earlier.

I called the number ((800) 634-6753) after reading the post above, for which you quoted my response.

i explained the dates that i wanted and mentioned that it was part of a convention. she asked the name and couldn't find DefCon anywhere. she asked the dates again and said "hmm... i think i see something... is this the national something-or-other producer's convention?" or something like that. needless to say, it was not.

"perhaps they're still in negotiations and it's not finalized yet" she suggested. i mentioned that as far as i'm aware, there are already rates quoted and people may have already started booking. "do you know the names of anyone who may have booked already?" in lieu of calling out a bunch of hacker handles, i said no. she inquired what rates i had heard, i told her the ones CotMan mentioned above.
            Funny. When she asked about the convention, I first said "a computer security convention." She then said I am not sure I see it. When I said "DefCon" she said, "hmmm," and when I spelled it "defcon" she said, "Oh, here it is. I did not think they had it that far in advance."

(I spent about 10 minutes on the phone for this.)

still unable to find anything in her system about DefCon, etc etc., she was forced to admit that there was nothing she could do for me in the way of reservations. maybe others will have better luck.
            Not sure why I had success. Maybe try calling again and get someone with more information or the same person I spoke to last time.

If you don't have success again, I can try calling again next week or something, and pretend I am not with DefCon.

Comment

• After reading Cotman's post I called up the 800 # and made my reservation.
              The woman I talked to was very nice and the whole process only took about 10 min.
              She did know that Defcon was being held there and knew the rates, so that was no problem.
              I was told the cancelation fee is $14 and of course I had to pay for the first night upfront ($100.28).
              I think that is all I can remember. Hope it helps. Denny

Comment

• Originally posted by Denny2000
                After reading Cotman's post I called up the 800 # and made my reservation.
                The woman I talked to was very nice and the whole process only took about 10 min.
                She did know that Defcon was being held there and knew the rates, so that was no problem.
                I was told the cancelation fee is $14 and of course I had to pay for the first night upfront ($100.28).
                I think that is all I can remember. Hope it helps. Denny
                Cool deal. Thanks man. Maybe you got the same person I did. :-)

Comment

• Originally posted by Deviant Ollam
                  I called and spoke with Helga. She asked if I had called earlier.. , I assume she thought this was a small convention. So I informed her there would be about 5000 people calling at one point or another..

She said she appologized to whomever had called earlier, that she was unable to assist them, (she said they hung up). She told me this before she knew it was several thousand people.. I guess since she thought it was small, perhaps I knew the other person who called.

She laughed at first, and then said something like "oh my gosh".. anyhow.. she said the event shows up on the hotel calender as End of July because they schedule room bookings a few days before conventions usually. However they said they could not give me a number on how many rooms were blocked off for the convention (due to policy) but did say plenty.. and "quite a few"

Anyhow..
                  $92+9%tax for Deluxe Suites in the convention area for occupancy (2)
                  $112+9%tax for Deluxe Suites with extra charge for occupancy (3-4)

500' rooms available.. (I forgot the prices) but they are 1 king size
                  800' rooms available.. (I forgot the prices) 2 bedrooms
                  King rooms available for $350 rooms hold up to 6 people.

So there you go.. and Deviant Ollam, theres your apology..

Comment

• Originally posted by allentrace
                    I am hoping to get PokerCon off and running with DC14 and if priniting up personal chips seems like the way to go as we get closer to Con time that will probably be the best option
                    If you or someone else is genuine about this idea, get an ok for an unofficial event from DT, and we can open up a section in the forums for unofficial events.

Comment

• Originally posted by [Syntax]
                      She said she appologized to whomever had called earlier, that she was unable to assist them, (she said they hung up).
                      heh, well, yes i hung up because that is the common action taken by both parties when a phone call has reached its conclusion. the hanging up occurred just after an exchange of "thank you" and "sorry i couldn't be of more help" and "oh, no problem"

maybe she was confused by my use of the phrase "goodbye" immediately preceeding the disconnection.

thanks for the updated info, i'll try again to book tomorrow.
                      "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
                      - Trent Reznor

Comment

• Originally posted by TheCotMan
                        If you or someone else is genuine about this idea, get an ok for an unofficial event from DT, and we can open up a section in the forums for unofficial events.
                        Yeah I am actually serious about this and will send DT an e-mail asking for the permission to use the name Defcon PokerCon as an unofficial event that is as soon as I run out of papers to do for college And I hope to get a site up and running shortly after that.
                        You plan on buying in CotMan? I would welcome the challenge.

Comment

Yeah I am actually serious about this and will send DT an e-mail asking for the permission to use the name Defcon PokerCon as an unofficial event that is as soon as I run out of papers to do for college And I hope to get a site up and running shortly after that.
                          Sounds cool to me, but finding a time for it will probably be the hardest part...there are so many official/unofficial events...

Al

PS: Sunshine Highway rocks dude! (just to piss off mr-off-topic)
                          "Are my pants...threatening you?"

Comment

You plan on buying in CotMan? I would welcome the challenge.
                            Nope. I generally limit my plans at DefCon to only a few events as "must-see" and the rest of the experiences I let happen through feeling and opportunity.

Comment

• Originally posted by alklloyd
                              Sounds cool to me, but finding a time for it will probably be the hardest part...there are so many official/unofficial events...

Al

PS: Sunshine Highway rocks dude! (just to piss off mr-off-topic)
                              Yeah the day will be the hardest and it will most def. have to be planned around Toxic BBQ, Forum Meet, Sushi Con, and the other big events...but have no fear I will figure it out.

Take another ride on the sunshine highway
                              Take another ride try to turn it around
                              Take another ride down the sunshine highway
                              Take another ride try to turn it around tonight

Originally posted by TheCotMan
                              Nope. I generally limit my plans at DefCon to only a few events as "must-see" and the rest of the experiences I let happen through feeling and opportunity.
                              Well in that case I hope you will let me buy you a drink come Con time.
                              Last edited by allentrace; October 6, 2005, 22:45.

Comment

• I've only been to DC12 and DC13, but I really liked the way the AP had a kind of open layout so you could just wander around and see people doing stuff in public areas. I hope there is still some of that going at the Riviera.

Comment

Working...
                                X