Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• loki151
    replied
    Please!!!! do this event out doors my idea is ummm not the best to have indoors if something gose wrong

Leave a comment:

• Deviant Ollam
    replied
    Originally posted by renderman
    Plus Deviant gives you beer.
    heh... beverage. i give out lots of beverage to contestants, as this is the beverage cooling contraption contest (as per the lawyer's advice)... it's supposed to be a contest with, ah, uhm... tea! in my experience, whenever you're ready to partake in an activity involving lots of tea, out of the blue a rowdy element always shows up and suddenly replaces all the tea with beer. i don't know how or why this happens... but it's what i keep telling the cops in my area.

Originally posted by renderman
    Do we have any idea yet on if this will be an indoor or outdoor event?
    that is one outstanding question, and would be best approached by a discussion with someone who is familiar with the grounds and the flow of the space we'll have for defcon. i'll get into it with DA or DT and try to find out how things are shaping up. i'd like to have an area that allows for lots of passing foot traffic but doesn't get in anyone's way at all. i'll differ to them on what that will be like, altho i have to say that the poolside setup was pretty sweet last time.

my preference would be next to one of the pools in a spot with some shade and an electrical outlet should anyone's designs need one (of course, people are rewarded for self-sufficience if they need electricity).

Leave a comment:

• renderman
    replied
    Originally posted by Deviant Ollam
    that's cool. he can certainly join with you in the operation of your contraption if he wishes. or, if it's just you, that's fine, too. in our virgin run of this little shindig last year there were only four entries... two of the four were from single-person teams. (see the DC13 BCCC results page for more details. page may be up and down later today since i'm doing work on that server... rebuilding a desynced RAID-5 array that is over a TB in size. yeah, that's a whole lotta fun.)

trust me, you'll do fine. i'll refer you to that same link a couple lines above. even people last year who missed the mark or pushed the physics of beer to the breaking point had fun. that's really the whole point... to show up and demonstrate some creative thinking in a casual and entertaining environment. everyone who participates gets free prizes (not to mention plenty of free beverages), there's liquor-related trivia which allows teams and bystanders to win stuff, etc etc. trust me, there's no way to do badly in a game with so few rules. we'd love to see what you come up with.
    Plus Deviant gives you beer. Of course you will need to sample the temperature of said beer several times over the course of the contest and in significant volumes per test. It's not like you lose anything :)

Do we have any idea yet on if this will be an indoor or outdoor event? As you might remember, my entry last year was rather messy and probobly nearly explosive (bubbling vat of highly flamable alcohol was probobly not the smartest idea). Just want to approach my design this year from the one that is least likely to cause a fire hazard

Leave a comment:

• Deviant Ollam
    replied
    Originally posted by loki151
    Idont know yet i think i will have a teammate but he has not sayed if he is going yet
    that's cool. he can certainly join with you in the operation of your contraption if he wishes. or, if it's just you, that's fine, too. in our virgin run of this little shindig last year there were only four entries... two of the four were from single-person teams. (see the DC13 BCCC results page for more details. page may be up and down later today since i'm doing work on that server... rebuilding a desynced RAID-5 array that is over a TB in size. yeah, that's a whole lotta fun.)

I am kinda freaked i will not do well
    trust me, you'll do fine. i'll refer you to that same link a couple lines above. even people last year who missed the mark or pushed the physics of beer to the breaking point had fun. that's really the whole point... to show up and demonstrate some creative thinking in a casual and entertaining environment. everyone who participates gets free prizes (not to mention plenty of free beverages), there's liquor-related trivia which allows teams and bystanders to win stuff, etc etc. trust me, there's no way to do badly in a game with so few rules. we'd love to see what you come up with.

Leave a comment:

• loki151
    replied
    Idont know yet i think i will have a teammate but he has not sayed if he is going yet I am kinda freaked i will not do well

Leave a comment:

• Deviant Ollam
    replied
    I would like to sign up to do this event
    terrific, look forward to seeing you there. do you have anyone else on your team, or will you be a solo competitor (both are totally acceptable)?

Leave a comment:

• loki151
    replied
    I would like to sign up to do this event

Leave a comment:

• Deviant Ollam
    replied
    sweet. i look forward to seeing what crazy cryogenic contraption you two come up with this time around. remember, this year the cans will be opened and their contents poured through the devices.

to all those who didn't know, noid and lil_freak won the brute force cooling award last time around.

Leave a comment:

• lil_freak
    replied
    Originally posted by noid
    I'm down for getting the band back together if she is.
    Of course I am.

Leave a comment:

• noid
    replied
    Originally posted by Deviant Ollam
    will you be a team again or will this year be head-to-head between the wicked-awesome beer ninjas?
    I'm down for getting the band back together if she is.

Leave a comment:

• Deviant Ollam
    replied
    Originally posted by noid
    Well, if Lil Freak's in, then I am in as well.
    will you be a team again or will this year be head-to-head between the wicked-awesome beer ninjas?

Leave a comment:

• noid
    replied
    Well, if Lil Freak's in, then I am in as well.

Leave a comment:

• Vyrus
    replied
    on behalf of DC949, <raise hand> Where in </raise hand>

Leave a comment:

• Deviant Ollam
    replied
    Originally posted by enigma
    does replacing warm beer with previously cooled beer count as a "cooling contraption"?...if so I'm in :)
    i do not know if it will count as a cooling contraption... but if your team shows up and gives me cold Smithwick's or Heineken in exchange for warm cans of Natural Ice or Old Milwaukee i'm not goin to prevent it.

Leave a comment:

• enigma
    replied
    does replacing warm beer with previously cooled beer count as a "cooling contraption"?...if so I'm in :)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X