Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KeLviN
    replied
    the black ring around the neck didnt really bother me either. with the level of BO, rum fumes, and day old clothes on, i cant say the black neck thing was the straw that scared off the hot women. (perfect 10 hot, not desert heat hot)

Leave a comment:

• converge
    replied
    Along rendermans synopsis of badges and lanyards... of all badges to date my favorite is, hands-down, the DC10 Shield of Destruction. It served multiple purposes as a mirror, sun reflection device, electricity plug/cap remover, paper weight, boat anchor, Yagi enhancifier and general access ninja star.

> *

My existing collection of lanyards will suffice, in all honesty... although I'm sure collectors edition specials in the vender sections would be bought up .. as mentioned before, doohickies are teh hipxor. I know everybody really downs the black chain, but I still have mine and like it to this day. Much cooler around the next in Vegas heat than thick clothy objects.... and a few years later the paint has almost completely warn off into the perma war marks that encompass my fearsome face and neck. ninja .. ninja rap

Leave a comment:

• Tacitus
    replied
    Originally posted by Dark Tangent
    Not a bad aidea! We can set asside a small batch of badges and see how many people take advantage of it. Thanks guys!

Sounds good- I for one know I will be looking forward to this.

Leave a comment:

• KeLviN
    replied
    One person really CAN make a difference! my life has meaning now!

Leave a comment:

• Deviant Ollam
    replied
    i personally worry about breaking my black badge and losing it. render and i won ours at DefCon 12... that year the badges were mighty thin plastic and had precious little reinforcement up at the top where the lanyard slips through. carrying this badge with me to future defcons years into the future had me concerned about it cracking. i've re-inforced it with some washers, etc. however so i suppose we'll be good to go for at least another decade or so.

Leave a comment:

• renderman
    replied
    Not a bad aidea! We can set asside a small batch of badges and see how many people take advantage of it. Thanks guys!
    Just make sure to let the reg staff know to tell black badge persons that they can collect a badge after con. Alternatly, put something in the program (you did RTFP did'nt you??)

Leave a comment:

• The Dark Tangent
    replied
    Good idea!

Originally posted by astcell
    How about having black badge holders pick up a souvenir badge after Defcon is over? That way it will have no admission value.

Assuming we don't run out of badges.

Leave a comment:

• astcell
    replied
    How about having black badge holders pick up a souvenir badge after Defcon is over? That way it will have no admission value.

Assuming we don't run out of badges.

Leave a comment:

• renderman
    replied
    The problem is there is currently no way to be sure that someone with a black badge doesn't just keep coming back every hour and getting a new human badge. Short of punching a hole in the black badge for each year attended, I'm not sure how to solve this problem.
    Perhaps setting a small number aside to be collected at the end (or near end) of the con?

Leave a comment:

• The Dark Tangent
    replied
    Black Badges and New Badges

Originally posted by KeLviN
    i went pretty high up trying to get a badge for last year, but was always told that it was policy. so i dont think it was a misunderstanding... but i could be wrong. the best answer i got was that badges were for paying atendees and that they might be able to do something after they were sure that there were enough badges to go around.... but nothing ever came of it.
    The problem is there is currently no way to be sure that someone with a black badge doesn't just keep coming back every hour and getting a new human badge. Short of punching a hole in the black badge for each year attended, I'm not sure how to solve this problem.

Leave a comment:

• KeLviN
    replied
    Originally posted by renderman
    I too ran into a similar situation. I think it was more an issue with registration staff being told something different than what was assumed.

I have no problem with paying a few bucks to get a badge to keep the collection.
    i went pretty high up trying to get a badge for last year, but was always told that it was policy. so i dont think it was a misunderstanding... but i could be wrong. the best answer i got was that badges were for paying atendees and that they might be able to do something after they were sure that there were enough badges to go around.... but nothing ever came of it.

Leave a comment:

• renderman
    replied
    Originally posted by KeLviN
    i wanna bring something up that hasnt been mentioned yet: last year i came with the black badge(s) i got from DC 12 and i assumed that when i showed them my badge at checkin that they would just issue me my new badge for this year, but i was told that my previous years black badge would be my badge for this year. needless to say, i was upset that because i won a contest i was now forced to have an incomplete badge collection for the rest of my life! I had to trade out any eatra black badges for stuff, including an up-to-date badge for the year. so instead of giving me a new badge, at a cost of 4$ or so, they had 2 people not paying 75$ instead of just one.

edit: i just want to make sure that no one thinks i'm ungratefull for the life-time admission privledge, just that i feel that not getting an up-to-date badge is a big deal for a small investment. I'd even be willing to pay for the production cost of the badge if thats what it took.

I too ran into a similar situation. I think it was more an issue with registration staff being told something different than what was assumed.

I have no problem with paying a few bucks to get a badge to keep the collection.

Leave a comment:

• KeLviN
    replied
    i wanna bring something up that hasnt been mentioned yet: last year i came with the black badge(s) i got from DC 12 and i assumed that when i showed them my badge at checkin that they would just issue me my new badge for this year, but i was told that my previous years black badge would be my badge for this year. needless to say, i was upset that because i won a contest i was now forced to have an incomplete badge collection for the rest of my life! I had to trade out any eatra black badges for stuff, including an up-to-date badge for the year. so instead of giving me a new badge, at a cost of 4$ or so, they had 2 people not paying 75$ instead of just one.

edit: i just want to make sure that no one thinks i'm ungratefull for the life-time admission privledge, just that i feel that not getting an up-to-date badge is a big deal for a small investment. I'd even be willing to pay for the production cost of the badge if thats what it took.

Leave a comment:

• renderman
    replied
    Defcon 7 - Thin metal, silk screened logo. Not bad, touch sharp on the edges though

Defcon 8 - Plastic with pills printed on it. Eh, not very impressive. Did like the 'pill' theme though

Defcon 9 - Squishy! Provided a great amount of entertainment value while waiting for talks

Defcon 10 - Heavy metal! On a long lanyard they were well known as nutcrackers. These still have to be the coolest I've seen so far. Only problem was the bruising from when they would swing and smack a hand, wrist, head, etc. The things weighed alot. Nicely rounded edges though made for no cuts. Black badges were beutiful.

Defcon 11 - 3Dish. Kinda cool, pretty flimsy though. Felt like the back of a frosted flakes box

Defcon 12 - Neat idea with the translucent image, but very flimsy and I know several broke off lanyards and got lost.

Defcon 13 - Very nice, yes a few broke, but overall very sturdy and easy to identify.

Other cons badges have been interesting but have thier problems too.

Hope 5 - Arm bands. Ok, cool idea, except none of them fit anyone! You could fit them around your neck!

Shmoocon 2006 - Laser etched and cut 1/8" steel. Gorgeous to look at but sharp as hell. I really liked the puzzle idea where badges fit together.

The lanyards through the years have been suitable, except the black chain issue mentioned before. I personally like the embroidered ones rather than silkscreen. It's a more professional touch and makes it seem worth more. I also like it because it's nice enough to use as a lanyard for other functions.

My random suggestion for badges one year would be etched PCB's. It would be interesting to have the traces on a PCB spell out 'human', 'press', etc. There's a variety of colors (Green, red, orange) and it certainly fits in the theme.

Alternatly I'd call for a return of the Heavy metal badges from DCX with better lanyards.

Above all though, badges and lanyards should arrive before attendee's :)

P.S. The solution ot any itchy lanyard is to just do what I usually do and tie it to a belt loop. Keeping it on a short leash keeps it out of the way too.

Leave a comment:

• polyhazard
    replied
    I thought the ones from 13 were perfect. They are currently being used as bootlaces at my house!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X