Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strom Carlson
    replied
    The Defcon 10 badges were pretty cool, but I didn't go to that one so I don't know from experience or anything :)

The Defcon 11 badges were awesome.

Defcon 12's badges were not so hot. It was tough to tell what the badges actually looked like against people's clothes.

Defcon 13's badges were really awesome. The only people I saw snap them in half were people who sat on them, fell on them, etc etc etc. I like the new lanyards too - more comfortable than the old ones. My only complaint was that my blue badge didn't fluoresce like the green ones...and you know it's all about the fluorescence.

Leave a comment:

• Cowthief
    replied
    We don' need no stinkin' badges!

Hello.

I have the thing on for a few sec' while entering, then that thing goes in the pocket.
    Yes, sometimes someone asks, but only early on, after that almost everyone is plastered.
    So, how about a G-man style of badge flashing wallet, hey. if best buy can get away with "geek squad"!

Leave a comment:

• [Syntax]
    replied
    My only complaint so far is the same as astcell.. the black beaded chain that the dye rubbed off. Other than that one design, the lanyards have been fine.

I particularly liked the DC13 type of lanyard. The latch was nice with the swivel.

The only other problem in previous years has been that the part of the badge where the clasp attaches usually tears or breaks. Not a problem with the Plexi & Metal Badges, but it was with the holographic, plastic, and the squishy badges (DC 9 / 11 / 12)

Leave a comment:

• converge
    replied
    doohickies rock, you bring, we buy for cash $$$

Leave a comment:

• AlxRogan
    replied
    Since this kinda fits into the whole lanyard thing, what about DEFCON branded badge holders (the little retractable doohickes)? The little circular sticker pack was cool, but unfortunately they won't fit on the standard badge holder spool. However they do trick out a BlackBerry nicely.

Leave a comment:

• ghost
    replied
    Originally posted by LosT
    Maybe we all need to get the tinfoil underwear now...

LosT
    you say that like its a bad thing :D

Leave a comment:

• ck3k
    replied
    yeah the defcon 13 badges make me worry, I got a black one after much effort, and now need to design some sort of bullet proof vest for it. I guess this begs the question, what happens when you break a black badge? I am guessing something like the end of the last Indiana Jones. I think some black and white versions of the defcon 13 lanyards would be the perfect combo.

Leave a comment:

• LosT
    replied
    Great, now DT is going to track us all with active RFID tags....

Maybe we all need to get the tinfoil underwear now...

LosT

Leave a comment:

• The Dark Tangent
    replied
    Originally posted by bascule
    FLAVOR FLAV!
    As long as there aren't gimpy die cut badges that snap in half again this year, I'll be happy.
    Only the best Singapore lasers were used to create those badges! It took two years to find a place that could do enough colors in enough quantity at the right price.

I guess we could go to silk screen art on soft laynard, but the ink falls off over time as the softness causes the laynard to stretch and contract. The stitched logo ones don't do that, but cost about double or more.

On another note, we have three different badge ideas we have been waiting on for over three years, waiting for the costs to come down and suppliers to pop up.

Leave a comment:

• bascule
    replied
    FLAVOR FLAV!

People are sensitive about the lanyards? WTF?

As long as there aren't gimpy die cut badges that snap in half again this year, I'll be happy.

Leave a comment:

• converge
    replied
    DC14 Lanyards and Badges with style?

Leave a comment:

• Xodia
    replied
    Originally posted by ck3k
    I must say I am a big fan of the lanyards that shmoocon has been using, soft material, and black ;) I guess you can always import your own lanyard.
    I agree, the ShmooCon lanyards were nice. Thats why I plan on importing my ShmooCon lanyard to DC 14. Comfort and style will fuse to confuse the populace into thinking, "Is this ShmooCon?"
    I really never had any problem with the lanyards from the last two years. I actually found the blue and yellow one to be a refreshing change from the normal black color scheme.

Leave a comment:

• erehwon
    replied
    I keep posting this every year, I would like the option to buy more lanyards from the Defcon onsite and online store.

Leave a comment:

• TheCotMan
    replied
    Originally posted by Voltage Spike
    Isn't that the point of owning a Bluetooth phone?
    Heh. That'll teach 'em. (That will teach them.)

The beads were a little rough on the skin, but it is difficult to make a good, secure loop of fabric.
    Perhaps allergic reaction to metals may be a problem too.

(Personally, I've never had problems with the clips.)
    Well, there have been different kinds of clips over the years.

The worst "clips" were the one that worked like clothespins-- a hinge, a spring, two pieces of metal that clamp down on something to hold it.

Then there were lanyards that used a kind of spring-sealed fishinghook loop which were not too bad. These were fairly common over several years.

The "spring-sealed, fishinghook-style" lanyard connectors were not too bad, but come in 2nd place for me. I really did not like these for the DC9, fluid-filled badges- I had a mild fear that the metal would puncture the plastic "bag" and cause the fluid to leak out. (It never did leak out, and the badge still "works" as a puzzle.)
    Last edited by TheCotMan; January 29, 2006, 09:52. Reason: fix typo

Leave a comment:

• Voltage Spike
    replied
    Originally posted by TheCotMan
    We should move to RFID, then we can do away with lanyards, and quickly survey room populations, and make it easier to track DefCon people.
    Isn't that the point of owning a Bluetooth phone?

Originally posted by TheCotMan
    On a serious note, the beads that made people's necks turn black would not be too bad if it were not for the turning people's necks black.
    The beads were a little rough on the skin, but it is difficult to make a good, secure loop of fabric. (Personally, I've never had problems with the clips.)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X