X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GBHis
    replied
    Originally posted by xgermx
    To test for M$ certs goto www.vue.com, pick a test, pay for it, schedule it, and then go onsite to take it. Most of the time the testing centers will be located in schools or something simular. Pearson VUE also offers alot of the comptia tests i.e. Net+, Server+, Security+ (non vender based). To see copy of what the tests might look like, you could check out www.actualtest.com or find a testbank somewhere else on the net. BTW this is abig reason why certs don't mean shit.
    Thank you for the help, everyone!
    Most companies do however seem to check for certs before hiring people...
    I have 6 years before I can start to write contracts with companies...
    Guess I would have to read some first, but now I know where to start!!

Leave a comment:

• xgermx
    replied
    To test for M$ certs goto www.vue.com, pick a test, pay for it, schedule it, and then go onsite to take it. Most of the time the testing centers will be located in schools or something simular. Pearson VUE also offers alot of the comptia tests i.e. Net+, Server+, Security+ (non vender based). To see copy of what the tests might look like, you could check out www.actualtest.com or find a testbank somewhere else on the net. BTW this is abig reason why certs don't mean shit.

Leave a comment:

• bascule
    replied
    Yeah, just got done with a checklist interview with Google... not very fun, no room to expand upon skills not covered in the interview (I foolishly tried and of course the interviewer was completely uninterested), and in the process of arbitrarily specifying my skill level I probably overinflated the wrong skills which probably showed in subsequent questioning.

Overall, a disheartening experience

Leave a comment:

• theprez98
    replied
    Originally posted by GBHis
    Thank you very much! Is it the American Army or just "the army" in general?
    I live in Denmark and The U.S. army seems somewhat far away...

For the google-response: Sorry. Please be patient with me...
    CCNE? Is there different levels of certificates? (Well, there probably is, but which? How much should I know to get a basic one?)
    In this case I was referred to the U.S. military. I don't have any idea if any other militaries offer anything similar.

Leave a comment:

• GBHis
    replied
    Originally posted by theprez98
    Many colleges and universities offer certification classes (although that can be costly). If you're in the military, you would have access to the online classes for most certifications (i.e., for us Navyfolk it is Navy Knowledge Online), and they will also reimburse you for taking the test (sadly, most military folks don't know about this combination or take advantage of it). Local business schools, community colleges, etc., are places that I have also seen the classes offered.

If you go to the website for the organization that administers the test (i.e., CompTIA), you can also find locations to take the tests.
    Thank you very much! Is it the American Army or just "the army" in general?
    I live in Denmark and The U.S. army seems somewhat far away...

For the google-response: Sorry. Please be patient with me...
    CCNE? Is there different levels of certificates? (Well, there probably is, but which? How much should I know to get a basic one?)

Leave a comment:

• theprez98
    replied
    Sorry for posting on the edge to off-topic, but where do you get these certs?
    Many colleges and universities offer certification classes (although that can be costly). If you're in the military, you would have access to the online classes for most certifications (i.e., for us Navyfolk it is Navy Knowledge Online), and they will also reimburse you for taking the test (sadly, most military folks don't know about this combination or take advantage of it). Local business schools, community colleges, etc., are places that I have also seen the classes offered.

If you go to the website for the organization that administers the test (i.e., CompTIA), you can also find locations to take the tests.

Leave a comment:

• Deviant Ollam
    replied
    you get them from here.

Leave a comment:

• GBHis
    replied
    At universities? High-Schools? Phone?

-Confused GBHis

Leave a comment:

• justjake
    replied
    Originally posted by bascule
    Well, I have such an interview coming up with Google next week. I can just tell they're looking for adminsitration/deployment drones...

You will be assimilated. And in 3 years be worth a hundred billion dollars...(pinky to corner of mouth)

I'm here in Contra Costa County myself.

Leave a comment:

• bascule
    replied
    Well, I have such an interview coming up with Google next week. I can just tell they're looking for adminsitration/deployment drones...

Leave a comment:

• SlackJaw
    replied
    Originally posted by TheCotMan

Joking here:
    Install Linux! Problem Solved! (heh)
    I actually said that! and added use LDAP..

Thanks Cot. I did answer in a bit more depth, I just used one or two words here to illustrate my line of thinking.

If I land this job, there is no doubt I'll kick in some money to the CON...

cya

Tommy

Leave a comment:

• TheCotMan
    replied
    Originally posted by SlackJaw
    Q You can't connect to the NETWORK, where do you troubleshoot?
    A ipconfig - check for IP - ping
    It's better to traverse the 7 layer model,, "up," the stack.
    Link-Light? Plugged-in? (The first question tech support often asks)
    Arp Cache? Activity Light? VLAN?
    Interface IP Address?
    Filter/Firewall settings?
    Kernel bugs for session management or NAT errors?
    Tunnel failure? VPN Failure?
    Application failures? Proxy settings?
    (Not a complete list, but ensuring lower layers work, makes testing of higher layers more productive.)

Q You're setting up a 25 station network - you have 2 servers, a router, an 8 port switch and a 24 port hub. What plugs where for OPTIMUM proformance.

A Router, Servers, and hub to switch - Workstations pull back to hub
    Bad question. metrics for "performance" are not specified. You should ask them what kind of performance is desired.
    Server and workstations to have low latency to next hop?
    Workstations don't access next hop, but are isolated and only talk to the server on their collision domain?
    These questions are sometimes included to see if you will ask for clarification and the kinds of questions you ask can give the interviewer your depth of knowledge.

Q . What is a Gateway?
    A Private IP on one side, Public on the other. Inet connection etc...
    Bad Question. In old RFP, a Gateway was effectively a "router" but later, the defiition was changed to refer to an application layer proxy.
    Then MS chose to define it different from RFP in their Cert Program.
    This ambiguity from "the old days" made its way into OS network configuration panels like MacOS and others, where the name for the IP Router field was "gateway."
    Of course, a Gateway could also be the name of a computer company, well known for their expensive paperweight/doorstop-line of computers.

Again, bad question, and clarification would have been good.

Q What would you set up for a traveling salesman so he can connect his laptop to the network?
    A RAS
    The answer here depends on the kind of shop they run and their expectations on data and access to data.
    Is "The Network" the business network, or hotel high-speed internet?

Clarification on some questions is good.

Q When a salesman is on the road, his laptop desktop is different from his workstation at the business..why?
    A Roaming Profiles
    Must be a Windows shop. This could be a question to ask the obvious, or designed to see if you will question the ultimately desired result.
    "In what way should they be compared? Physically? Their contents? Their configuration?"
    Find the scope of answers desired by the interviewer. It can also help you to get a higher score by having you answer be on target.

Q What does DHCP do?
    A Issues IPs
    It does more than that, and being pedantic, I'd change this to, "Issues IP leases and other network settings to clients specified to have them based on the information provided in their request and the server's configuration."
    DHCP can do many things, such as provide information about NTP servers, Windows Browsemaster, DNS Servers, assist in Netbooting, aid the uploading and upgrading of firmware in network devices ...
    You could also have described the reasons why DHCP is so popular-- "provides centralize management of IP Leases, and network configuration information to desired/expected requests made by configured clients."

Some questions test depth, and some questions test bredth, while other question may check to see if you have the consideration to ask for more information, but they all help the interviewer see/hear a sample of your attitude.

You can easily see/hear if they are frustrated with your questions, or are tired, and build your answers to impress them more.

Q In XP Pro, how do you join a domain?
    A >control panel>system>computer name>join domain>reboot
    No mention of assumptions that the domain exists, and work that must be done to ensure the process is completed, and verified as working?
    (heh)

Q I've installed a Win2000 server...I want users to join a domain but I DO NOT want to install or use Active Directory. How can I do this?
    A I stumble fucked over this like an asshole - the answer is...you can't! I told him if you promote the server it HAS to install AD..but I wasn't sure..
    Joking here:
    Install Linux! Problem Solved! (heh)

I was a tongue tied freak....and I really know this shit...maybe I'll get to round two.
    Good luck. Better job means more money for DefCon.

Leave a comment:

• SlackJaw
    replied
    Well, it's over - in 12 minutes. Here are his questions and a one or two word indicator of the angle I took on the answers.

Q You can't connect to the NETWORK, where do you troubleshoot?
    A ipconfig - check for IP - ping

Q You're setting up a 25 station network - you have 2 servers, a router, an 8 port switch and a 24 port hub. What plugs where for OPTIMUM proformance.

A Router, Servers, and hub to switch - Workstations pull back to hub

Q . What is a Gateway?
    A Private IP on one side, Public on the other. Inet connection etc...

Q What would you set up for a traveling salesman so he can connect his laptop to the network?
    A RAS

Q When a salesman is on the road, his laptop desktop is different from his workstation at the business..why?
    A Roaming Profiles

Q What does DHCP do?
    A Issues IPs

Q In XP Pro, how do you join a domain?
    A >control panel>system>computer name>join domain>reboot

Q I've installed a Win2000 server...I want users to join a domain but I DO NOT want to install or use Active Directory. How can I do this?
    A I stumble fucked over this like an asshole - the answer is...you can't! I told him if you promote the server it HAS to install AD..but I wasn't sure..

I was a tongue tied freak....and I really know this shit...maybe I'll get to round two.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Tommy
    Last edited by SlackJaw; January 27, 2006, 07:42.

Leave a comment:

• Abby_Normal
    replied
    Don't worry about the lack of certs. Certs are for chimps. The only people who think they are worth anything are suits and HR drones. The people you need to impress know that all a cert means is you memorized a bunch of crap long enough to pass a test.

Leave a comment:

• SlackJaw
    replied
    Originally posted by converge
    dammit.. I knew I should have picked an answer further down :p

actually, depending on your typing patterns, the keyboard you use, and the quality of your phone.. the interviewer will likely pick up on your delayed answer matched with the keypresses that ensue.

Here's a wild thought.. don't worry about bluffing your way! If you can't really do the job than it will show up at one point or another, whether you make it past the interview or not. If you do bluff your way through, expect someone like me to get your ass fired before corrupting the integrity and accomplishment of the department.
    I don't really feel the need to bluff; I feel reasonably safe that I have the skills. I've been a Net Admin before, on a smaller scale - but that usually requires MORE diverse knowledge. (web, DB, Desktop Pubs, etc)

I'm just afraid I'll fuck it up by being caught off guard - usually by the aforementiond HR types.

However, noid busted me on the google thing because I was poised to do just that - now I most assuredly wil not. This was going to be my backup plan but hopefully I'll be able to satisfy them with my own answers.

Well, the interview is Friday at 9am est. I'll bone up on VoIP - my weak spot, and wi-fi and try to muster my self-confidence.

As usual, you geeks generated some amazing insight drawn from personal experiences. I owe you guys...

BTW, at what point should I tell them I consider myself a leet haxor?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X