X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Dark Tangent
    replied
    Originally posted by klepto
    That's third party. BSD *still* doesn't have anything that is native or part of its tools. Linux does on the other hand.
    FreeBSD has Bestwipe (bcwipe) in its ported apps collection that you can install any time.

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cg...curity/bcwipe/

Or is that not considered part of its tools? I'm not sure the game we are playing.

Leave a comment:

• klepto
    replied
    Originally posted by Dark Tangent
    http://www.jetico.com/bcwipe_unix.htm for Linux, SunOS, Solaris, IRIX, Digital Unix, FreeBSD. You can create a boot ISO or run it stand alone.
    That's third party. BSD *still* doesn't have anything that is native or part of its tools. Linux does on the other hand.

Leave a comment:

• CP99
    replied
    Originally posted by inoxxs
    on the forge i kinda meant turning it into something that wouldnt even be recognizable as a hdd

and what would coveringit with peanut butter do?
    well, as we all know, penut butter contains magnetically charged particles of iron, when the penut butter is exposed to the tesla coils, it ignites, turning into a thermite like substance and vaporizes the drive platter.

Leave a comment:

• valkyrie
    replied
    on the forge i kinda meant turning it into something that wouldnt even be recognizable as a hdd

You are humor challenged, aren't you?

Leave a comment:

• haden
    replied

Leave a comment:

• bascule
    replied
    Hmmm, the most creative thing I could come up with is:

Cover the entire surface of the platter with peanut butter and place it next to a Tesla coil

Leave a comment:

• KeLviN
    replied
    i'm sure you could pull data off a rock.... but its not gonna mean anything. at the "forge" level, i'd feel safe that the data will lack enough structure to actually mean anything

Leave a comment:

• Floydr47
    replied
    um this is just a thought but what about sticking one into a forge and then beating the shit out of it with a slege hammer?

the thought came to me yeasterday while i was at my blacksmithing class
    I saw that done on the Discovery Channel, there was still readable data on the HD.

Leave a comment:

• haden
    replied
    um this is just a thought but what about sticking one into a forge and then beating the shit out of it with a slege hammer?

the thought came to me yeasterday while i was at my blacksmithing class

Leave a comment:

• LosT
    replied
    I was thinking about this thread today at work...as I walked by the relfow oven...and the lead free solder pots full of liquid goodness....

And then started talking to one of our fab guys about how hard it would be to attach nasty tools to the pick and place machine....

Yeah, the solder pot would be fun...

LosT

Leave a comment:

• The Dark Tangent
    replied
    Use BestWipe

Originally posted by klepto
    BSD does not have anything equivalent, although it does overwrite it 3-5 times? I don't remember.
    http://www.jetico.com/bcwipe_unix.htm for Linux, SunOS, Solaris, IRIX, Digital Unix, FreeBSD. You can create a boot ISO or run it stand alone.

Leave a comment:

• big chopper
    replied
    Magnets don't like heat. Could you bake them in an oven?
    500 degrees for an hour?

Leave a comment:

• klepto
    replied
    shred -n 65 -uvz *

replace * with whatever you want to remove, only works on non-journaling systems.

BSD does not have anything equivalent, although it does overwrite it 3-5 times? I don't remember.

Leave a comment:

• CP99
    replied
    Originally posted by robosycho
    Or if you can't get a hold of some thermite, you could use some potassium nitrate and sugar...

Potasium nitrate+sugar makes a homebrew smokebomb, not an all powerfull metal eater like thermite. Although fun to watch I doubt it would be effective at destroying a drive platter.

Leave a comment:

• robosycho
    replied
    Or if you can't get a hold of some thermite, you could use some potassium nitrate and sugar... And would it help at all to run 800 V through it? Because all you need for that is an artificial defilibrator. If you knew what the platters were made out of you could custom tailor a chemical packet to eat through them. Like splashing a little mercury on aluminum or a corrosive on glass. I doubt it would be possible to recover data from a platter that was covered in pockmarks and bubbles. For especially interesting results, unload the destructive agent while its spinning at full speed. And if you ever wanted to know what happens with metal and microwaves, stick a piece of aluminum foil in a microwave oven sometime. Keep a fire extinguisher handy.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X