Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dYn4mic
    replied
    I've been using them since knoppix STD first came out... they've came a long way I think and.. with the advent of backtrack, are quite nice to use.

Backtrack has a few issues though (esp. with bluetooth stuff) compared to auditor, and barely much more tools.

In my laptop bag, i normally keep the latest version of knoppix, auditor, a PPC liveCD, and now backtrack... its good to have, just in case my regular laptop linux doesn't have a tool or I feel like being read only.

Leave a comment:

• Gadsden
    replied
    I have used most of the ones out, and Backtrack is my favorite... it is very well organized and quite complete. I would like to see it updated more however..

Leave a comment:

• skroo
    replied
    Originally posted by INIT_6
    I like the remote-exploit live CD. The best tool on there is the airpwn. On my wireless network I was able to successful intercept the web request. It's a lot of fun.
    For future reference, folks, LET'S REFER TO THINGS BY THEIR PROPER NAMES. Not 'the remote-exploit live CD', 'the latest offering by Max Moser of Auditor fame', or other things that don't add up to 'Backtrack'. One of those three items tells us what it is we're actually talking about; the other two merely allude to it. kthxdrivethrough.

Do any of you know of another open source option what will do the same thing as airpwn?
    nemesis is similar, though not exactly the same in terms of what it's capable of.

Leave a comment:

• INIT_6
    replied
    I like the remote-exploit live CD. The best tool on there is the airpwn. On my wireless network I was able to successful intercept the web request. It's a lot of fun.

Do any of you know of another open source option what will do the same thing as airpwn?

I would create a topic for this, However I don't have the rights to do so yet.
    If you all think it needs it's own topic please do.

A cool kit you guys might like is laura's lab kit. It is a dvd iso what has several movies showing how to packet sniff a network. What tools to use. The DVD has a lot of saved packet sniff sessions. So you can start learning.

http://www.tech-geeks.org/contrib/misc/Novell/

Leave a comment:

• Dr. Z2A
    replied
    I just tried it out. I had thought that it was a completely new live cd but see now that its only a slax based Auditor. It had a few tools I haven't seen elsewhere (VMware, yay!), but I don't see the need for the media players and the bittorrent client on there. It didn't detect my wifi card, so points down on that one I would assume they'll be getting rid of xmms and all that as backtrack comes out of beta though.

Leave a comment:

• Spooky_Mystery
    replied
    Backtrack

Yep, I was talking about backtrack and I suppose I just prefer the GUI of Auditor, not so Garish.

I have found that some of the the tools are a little 'Flaky' but the majority of the basics are still there and it is a Beta version after all. On a related matter what do people think of the new Nessus GUI! I think I will go back to the command line version.

Leave a comment:

• AlxRogan
    replied
    http://www.remote-exploit.org/index....rack_Downloads

I've used it a bit, not near as much as I have used Auditor. I like it alright, but have observed some quirks with networking and DHCP. Auditor was rock solid for me in a variety of uses. I'm sure they'll get the kinks worked out of this in time.

EDIT: Damn you Skroo! I need to type faster.

Leave a comment:

• skroo
    replied
    Originally posted by Spooky_Mystery
    Has anyone had an opportunity to try out the latest offering by Max Moser of Auditor fame? I was just wondering if I was a bit off the mark when I said that it looks pretty but I feel that it doesn't really add to the exceptional toolkit provided by the previous incarnations of Auditor!
    Are you referring to BackTrack?

If so, then yes, I would tend to agree with you. However, there's a broader point to consider here: every security-related live CD out there uses essentially the same tools, and the only things really distinguishing them right now are the interfaces and underlying distribution. And really, this is understandable: there's no reason to reinvent the wheel when a proven, capable tool already exists and is freely-available; this is why virtually all of these distros are clones of each other.

Even though I'm a Slack bigot, I really don't see it doing anything that Helix, PHLAK, Arudius, or any of the others don't. I guess it may have a more updated toolset than some of the others, but end users really should be updating that by hand anyway.

Leave a comment:

• noid
    replied
    Hmm..havent played with it yet. Got a link? Wish I had known about it, I just got back from doing a vulnerability assessment for one of our remote offices. Would have been a good chance to try it out.

Leave a comment:

• Spooky_Mystery
    started a topic Latest Live Distros of Pen Test Tools

Latest Live Distros of Pen Test Tools

Has anyone had an opportunity to try out the latest offering by Max Moser of Auditor fame? I was just wondering if I was a bit off the mark when I said that it looks pretty but I feel that it doesn't really add to the exceptional toolkit provided by the previous incarnations of Auditor!

Be gentle its my first post on this forum!
Working...
X