hacker apparel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hacker apparel

maybe someone here knows the folks from J!NX and can put me in touch with them, as i am hoping that buried somewhere in their inventory of blank garments they perhaps have what i seek and cannot find. or, alternately, if someone here has a source they'd like to reccomend, i'm all ears.

i've been searching in vain (both online and in stores all around me) for what i thought was the simplest of things but aparently is a garment that was outlawed by presidential edict. i'm trying to get my hands on a hooded sweatshirt that has no sleeves.

in the winter and early spring, you can't really find anything that isn't long sleeved. but now, what with summer just around the corner, you can't find anything made of sweatshirt knit. i just want something to knock around in when there's a breezy day or a chilly evening. i don't give a damn about looking sharp so i'm not about to knot a sweater around my neck or wear some windbreaker designed for a golf course or yacht club. perhaps others in this community share my passion for easy going garments and have insights that i don't.

either that, or if someone who knows someone at jinx who has contacts in the garment world maybe they can point me to the proper alley i have to walk down and give a secret handshake to a trench-coated man holding a fish which gets me into the secret society of basic-ass sweatshirt supply.
    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
    - Trent Reznor

Why not just buy a sweatshirt with sleeves and pull the stitching connecting the sleeves out? Don't think it would take too long. Put a movie on or something and just cut the threads for an hour and a half.
    %54%68%69%73%20%69%73%20%6E%6F%74%20%68%65%78

Comment

Originally posted by pr0zac0x2a
      Why not just buy a sweatshirt with sleeves and pull the stitching connecting the sleeves out? Don't think it would take too long. Put a movie on or something and just cut the threads for an hour and a half.
      the cut is different... arm holes wind up way way too huge if you do that. one looks like a pro wrestler or something when a shirt with sleeves has them removed.
      "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
      - Trent Reznor

Comment

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam
        the cut is different... arm holes wind up way way too huge if you do that. one looks like a pro wrestler or something when a shirt with sleeves has them removed.

Hmm good point, didn't think about the size of the holes. My excuse is the pro wrestler look is coming back. Yeah thats it... G/Froogling, I don't even see plain sleeveless hoodies that aren't some ridiculous brand name. Now I'm interested why j!nx or someone else doesn't make them also.
        %54%68%69%73%20%69%73%20%6E%6F%74%20%68%65%78

Comment

you need to find a place that prints up custom printed tshirts for like baseball and whatnot, a sports shop maybe and they can order some for you.
          Delicious Poison:

The difference between a nerd and a geek? Well a nerd does not wear Spider Man butt huggers.

Comment

Check your PMs for Jinx's contact info.
            perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

Comment

Well, and I know this is going to sound wierd...

Buy a hooded sweatshirt and but the sleeves off about 4 inches out, then put the sweater insideout, find the happy medium where you want it sewn....and sew it. I wouldn't do it by hand it would take forever, but using your girlfriend/wife/significant other's sewing machine would work...cut off the rest.

Hey, I had to learn to sew, my father was Navy and demanded I knew how to repair a rip or sew my buttons back on lol. Don't ask me to knitt you a shirt tho...I don't understand that concept.
              -Ridirich

"When you're called upon to do anything, and you're not ready to do it, then you've failed."

Commander W.H. Hamilton

Comment

Originally posted by Ridirich
                Well, and I know this is going to sound wierd
                it wasn't too late to stop yourself when you were first typing that.

Buy a hooded sweatshirt and [cut] the sleeves off about 4 inches out
                so i'd have a short-sleeved sweathshirt?

then put the sweater insideout, find the happy medium where you want it sewn....and sew it.
                is the sweater the same thing as the inside-out sweatshirt from step #2?

i think i see what you are saying, but the result here would STILL involved weird-ass garment cut, not to mention double-seams only inches apart from each other.

I wouldn't do it by hand it would take forever, but using your girlfriend/wife/significant other's sewing machine would work
                having a vagina is not a requisite to owning a sewing machine. i have one in my house already. (of course, it was my mom's old one) but if i didn't, hand sewing isn't horridly slow if you know what you're doing. a simple whip stitch can proceed in minutes, eventhough it won't hold worth a damn. even a decent hand-sewn job would only take about one episode of the Simpsons per sleeve.

I had to learn to sew, my father was Navy and demanded I knew how to repair a rip or sew my buttons back on lol.
                your dad is a wise man. the ability to make basic repairs to just about anything that you own is a skill that more people should have. congrats on learning, i wish more people took interest in being self-sufficient.
                - Trent Reznor

Comment

so i'd have a short-sleeved sweathshirt?
                  Have you tried searching for "hooded vest?" I did and came up with something, but it was pink and may have been a small size. They are definitely out there, but may take a little more searching to find the specific material you want.

having a vagina is not a requisite to owning a sewing machine.
                  Not only that, but having a vagina is also not a guarantee that you own a sewing machine. I prefer a dremel myself. Now if it just had a sewing attachment... :)

your dad is a wise man. the ability to make basic repairs to just about anything that you own is a skill that more people should have. congrats on learning, i wish more people took interest in being self-sufficient.
                  I was forced to learn to hem when I was a child. It's the only stitch I know and has sometimes come in handy, but because I hated it so much I generally refuse to sew except in extreme cases, normally opting for rolling, safety pins, or duct tape instead.

Comment

Originally posted by mfreeck
                    Not only that, but having a vagina is also not a guarantee that you own a sewing machine. I prefer a dremel myself.
                    Sewing with a dremel? Crazy. It would be like, "Mwrrrrrrrrrrr! Zghvtrghvhtght Mwrrrrrrr!" and you'd have shredded clothing.

Perhaps a reason for it being difficult to find this item (hooded vest) is a matter of use. Hoods are often attached to clothing designed to protect the wearer from the elements (cold, or rain.) There may not be much of a market for hooded vests, since a person buying clothing to protect from the cold or rain would probably want a hooded garment with long sleeves. (Even a person trying to hide their identity would likely choose long sleeves, with a hood, and maybe gloves to cover as much skin as possible.)

Is your search for this clothing purely one for fashion, or do you have some other use in mind?

i just want something to knock around in when there's a breezy day or a chilly evening. i don't give a damn about looking sharp so i'm not about to knot a sweater around my neck or wear some windbreaker designed for a golf course or yacht club.
                    If you don't give a damn about looking sharp, then the idea mentioned above about cutting the sleeves from an existing hooded sweater should be fine. ]:>

perhaps others in this community share my passion for easy going garments and have insights that i don't.
                    If you just want head-cover, have you considered a hat, or baseball cap? Wear one backwards and your neck is covered too. Is there something that is causing you to want to limit your search to just a hooded vest?

Comment

Originally posted by TheCotMan
                      Sewing with a dremel? Crazy. It would be like, "Mwrrrrrrrrrrr! Zghvtrghvhtght Mwrrrrrrr!" and you'd have shredded clothing.
                      If anybody could invent such an impractical thing, it would be a geek like you. :)

Perhaps a reason for it being difficult to find this item (hooded vest) is a matter of use. Hoods are often attached to clothing designed to protect the wearer from the elements (cold, or rain.) There may not be much of a market for hooded vests, since a person buying clothing
                      actually, i found several hooded vests, but it was tougher to find them in sweatshirt material. One market for hooded vests would be very active people who don't want to be restrained by sleeves. Another might be fashion, which is never hindered by practicality.

If you just want head-cover, have you considered a hat, or baseball cap? Wear one backwards and your neck is covered too.
                      They also have hats which have an extra long thing in the back to protect your neck from sun/rain. It would probably not be as warm as a hoodie, but would have more visibility.

Comment

haha, wow....yeah, I call sweaters and sweatshirts the same thing, I know they aren't but it's habitual. Kinda funny which direction this thread turned...."Hacking Linen".

I was just reminded of a t-shirt I saw...I think it was on Jinx, and it said "I hacked this shirt". That says it all.
                        Last edited by Ridirich; April 23, 2006, 17:41.
                        -Ridirich

"When you're called upon to do anything, and you're not ready to do it, then you've failed."

Commander W.H. Hamilton

Comment

Working...
                        X