Technology attractions in Seattle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Technology attractions in Seattle

I've noticed that a few posters here are from the Seattle area. Well, I will be vacationing there next week and wondered if anyone knows of any good technology related attractions to see ( i.e. something the Defcon crowd would like).

The hotel I am staying at is near the Space Needle and I won't have a car, so I will have a limited travel range but I will appreciate any suggestions or information you could give.

Thanks in advance
    Denny

Well, the DC206 BBQ is next Saturday (the 20th). As far as travelling goes, take the bus. Dont waste your time with the SciFi Museum or the EMP. Cant think of anything technology related off the top of my head. The Museum of Flight is pretty badass.

I return whatever i wish . Its called FREEDOWM OF RANDOMNESS IN A HECK . CLUSTERED DEFEATED CORn FORUM . Welcome to me

Comment

Originally posted by noid
      Well, the DC206 BBQ is next Saturday (the 20th). As far as travelling goes, take the bus. Dont waste your time with the SciFi Museum or the EMP. Cant think of anything technology related off the top of my head. The Museum of Flight is pretty badass.
      Dude - the Space Needle. Yeah, it was built for the mostly now-defunct World's Fair, but it still qualifies as a symbol of the future. I'd also nominate the Underground City; while not exactly a vision of the future, it's a good link with a part of Seattle's past that probably goes some way towards explaining why it is what it is now.

And as a shall-issue state, it supports applied physics involving small bits of lead moving at high velocities. That's a Good Thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny2000
        ...good technology related attractions to see [in the Seattle area]...

The hotel I am staying at is near the Space Needle and I won't have a car, so I will have a limited travel range but I will appreciate any suggestions or information you could give.
        Well, I recently moved nearby (but about 4 hours away, in south central WA), and here's a few places I'd wanted to visit. I am not too sure that any of these are near you, but there's always public transportation.

Phone museum (only open on Tuesdays)

http://www.scn.org/telmuseum/

Pacific Science Center

http://www.pacsci.org/

Museum of Flight

http://www.museumofflight.org/

Comment

Thanks everyone for you input.

I am definitely going to the Space Needle but beyond that, I didnt have any plans.

Now I think I'll add the museum of flight and maybe the underground city to my list of sights to see. The only problem now is getting the girlfriend to agree to go.
          We went to the Pima Air Museum last year and she loved it, so maybe she wont be that hard to talk her into it.

One more question, what is the public transportation like in downtown Seattle? is there buses? trains? or something else? Is the public transportation system pretty good or should I rent a car?

Well once again, thanks for any help.
          Denny

Comment

Seattle has a fantastic bus system. For some reason people in Seattle will tell you they have terrible public transportation, but it also goes to back up my opinion that 90% of the folks that live in the city are idiots. The public transit is straightforward, clean, and in the city its free. If you are on Lake Union, you are probably just outside of the free area, but catching a bus downtown is trivialy easy. Once you are downtown, you can ride for free.

Yes, do the underground tour, its fucking cool. Also, check out Pikes Place Market, its pretty much a standard 'gotta do' for tourists.

I return whatever i wish . Its called FREEDOWM OF RANDOMNESS IN A HECK . CLUSTERED DEFEATED CORn FORUM . Welcome to me

Comment

Working...
            X