Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEW JOB - Pretest

Hi there guys,

I'm just about to leave uni and have applied for a new job as a C++ developer.

At this job i will recieve training before i start normal work but i have been sent a few questions that they would like me to complete and send back to them.

I guess this is to judge on whether or not i am suitable for the job.

here are the questions:

1. Give an example, with comments, of the declaration of a simple class.
    2. What does the virtual keyword signify in a class declaration?
    3. If you have virtual functions in a class, what is it essential to do? Why?
    4. What are the key features of an abstract base class?
    5. When would you use an abstract base class?
    6. Give an example of a class hierarchy which includes an abstract base class.
    7. Give class declarations for the classes in the hierarchy.
    8. What is aggregation (aka. containment / layering)? How does it differ from private inheritance?
    9. What do you understand by the term polymorphism in the context of C++? Which features of the language support its implementation?
    10. What are the differences between passing values, references and pointers as parameters to functions?
    11. What are the different places that const can be used?

I only know answers to a few of these questions. Do you think i should try my best to research some of the answers on the net?

I was sent the test this morning and they were hoping to receieve it back off me within a few hours, i'm starting to panick now as i have had it already for 4 hours.

Can anyone give me a hand with any of the questions?

Thanks in advance

Matthew Phillips

Originally posted by FunkyChicken
    Do you think i should try my best to research some of the answers on the net?
    that's what i would do. or you could go to your local CS grad student hangout and offer coffee, beer, drugs, or sex to anyone who will help.
    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
    - Trent Reznor

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyChicken
      I only know answers to a few of these questions. Do you think i should try my best to research some of the answers on the net?
      If you don't know the answers to many of these questions, you may just not be qualified for the job.

Most of these questions seem to be about heavy class-work, object-oriented programming and the often-included topics of ADT design, and inheritance. There are strong odds that the company is looking for a C++ or maybe a Java coder.

If the salary they are offering is very low, then they may not expect anyone to answer all of the questions, and you may have a chance if you use the web and turn it in late.

If the salary is "fair market" for the knowledge requirements suggested by the questions, you are probably underqualified.

You can try to answer the questions with the help of google, but their imposed time-limit probably is included to defeat such tactics.

Their purpose of these questions is to filter out the people who don't know the topics and intimidate others into not applying.

Let's assume you are able to answer these questions. What happens when you move to round 2 (phone or in-person interview) and they ask you questions "point-blank" and you bumble around? If it is a phone interview, they will use delays in responses (and maybe even background keyclicks) are part of the rating.

I'd suggest doing your best, turning it in, but then start looking for another job offer, and learn about these topics while you wait for responses to applications. If you really want this job, then make sure you really understand the answer to the questions you submit, and how to demonstrate the answer, because they will likely come up again in a voice-interview.

Comment

I've been learning a little of everything, but mainly C++ for the last year or so.. and I know the answer to almost all of them, yet I don't feel even close to being ready to being a C++ Developer. If you only know a few of them, It seems to me that you still have a lot to learn about C++ and OOP.

I'd try to take some ore advanced C++ classes, get a book on C++ and go through all the exersises and do every practice problem.
        Also, I'd get involved with some open source projects, or start your own with friends on sourceforge. This would give you some real world experiance, without having a deadline and/or being unexperianced/unprepared.
        Good luck.
        The only constant in the universe is change itself

Comment

Working...
        X