Bruce Schneier on "behavioral assessment" profiling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bruce Schneier on "behavioral assessment" profiling

a few places (some major airports, in particular) are finally starting to implement the sort of sensible security measures that have been working for years now at international borders and in nations that care about being safe as opposed to merely looking safe.

security guru Bruce Schneier wrote a piece quite a while back calling for these sorts of techniques. eventhough it's taken the mainstream over a year to catch up, i'm pleased that ideas like this are finally finding root.

On December 14, 1999, Ahmed Ressam tried to enter the United States from Canada at Port Angeles, Wash. He had a suitcase bomb in the trunk of his car. A US customs agent, Diana Dean, questioned him at the border. He was fidgeting, sweaty, and jittery. He avoided eye contact. In Dean's own words, he was acting "hinky." Ressam's car was eventually searched, and he was arrested. ... This is "behavioral assessment" profiling.
    Schneier describes how human-detection far surpasses computer-aided "profiling" which is a total mess and also almost totally ineffectual.

on a related note, Schneier will be speaking at two events in the near future. i hope to attend both. the one in NJ is near enough to me, but the one in DC will either merit a train ride or a road trip. if enough people feel like coming with, departing from the philadelphia area, i'll make room in my truck and it could be a very economical way to get down and back.

"The Future of Privacy"
    Forum on Technology & the Future
    Tuesday, May 23 - 9:00 AM
    915 15th St. NW, Washington DC, 6th Floor
    http://www.aclu.org/privacy/25551res20060512.html

"Cutting Through Hype and Gaining Common-Sense Security"
    Keynote Speech at ACLU-NJ conference
    Saturday, June 3 - 10:00 AM
    University Inn, Douglass Campus, Rutgers - New Burnswick, Conf Room A
    https://www.aclu-nj.org/events/aclun...shipconference

[EDIT: fixed links to each speaking event, which were reversed. thanks to virosa for pointing that out]
    Last edited by Deviant Ollam; May 20, 2006, 10:58.
    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
    - Trent Reznor

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam
    Schneier describes how human-detection far surpasses computer-aided "profiling" which is a total mess and also almost totally ineffectual.
    Deviant, this is a fascinating idea. Over the past few months, I've become interested in learning about body language, tonal inflections, and other nuances of human social interaction. These are great side channels for gaining additional information from someone, and I'd love to hear someone this knowledgeable speaking about them, even if it's only a small portion of their presentation.

A lot of the books (especially the ones on body language) have a lot of fluff in them - I don't buy "XXX hand position always means YYY". I've found this one and this one to be pretty decent, but would love to hear other opinions.

"The Future of Privacy"
    Forum on Technology & the Future
    Tuesday, May 23 - 9:00 AM
    915 15th St. NW, Washington DC, 6th Floor
    https://www.aclu-nj.org/events/aclun...shipconference
    Damn, this one is some serious short notice, but I believe I can make it. If anyone else in the NoVA/DC/MD area is able to attend this one and wants to grab some lunch and a beer afterwards, maybe we can set something up.

Your links are bass-ackwards, by the way, boss-man!

Comment

Ah... I wish i could go. They're both east coast though (im in california).
      The only constant in the universe is change itself

Comment

recording of Schneier's D.C. talk

So, i've finally gotten around to cleaning up my recording of Bruce Schneier's talk and putting it online. For all those who weren't able to make it to the D.C. area, here you go. Even encoded in mono at 64 kbps it is a 25 MB file. If anyone wants to mirror that, please feel free... you will win the admiration of my cable modem.
        "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
        - Trent Reznor

Comment

Nice. Good reminder about using the notice of failure to acquire the fast-pass-through at the gate, as a method to know which "terrorists" have been documented.

Comment

Thank you for posting that :) Was a good speech. I will see what i can do about your poor cable modem *snikt* and I would like to ask would it be ok to put this on the rss?
            "Haters, gonna hate"

Comment

Originally posted by Nikita
              Thank you for posting that :) Was a good speech. I will see what i can do about your poor cable modem *snikt* and I would like to ask would it be ok to put this on the rss?
              i wouldn't mind if it went on the RSS. i don't hold the copyright to it or anything, however. i think eventually the ACLU planned on putting up a whole video recording of this but i don't know when they'll get around to it. i'd frankly rather people just listen to the audio, since one of their camera operators kept panning across the bloody audience. for fuck's sake, it's a talk on privacy, people... maybe not everyone in attendance wanted to be plastered all over computer screens across the globe. heh, i was even a bit shy about including the Q&A section in my post of the audio recording... since i can be heard bitching about my experiences with airline watch lists.
              Last edited by Deviant Ollam; May 29, 2006, 08:52.
              - Trent Reznor

Comment

Will be looking into it in a couple o' days when I get home!
                Your posts are always so interesting, Deviant!

I have to ask you: Is Deviant your real name?

PS: I have a couple of e-books on body language and lie detection/stuff that I'd be glad to share!

th ej or ak {AT} gmail . com

Comment

Originally posted by GBHis
                  I have a couple of e-books on body language and lie detection/stuff that I'd be glad to share!
                  If your ebooks are linked from sites and are not illegal to share, you can link to them in this thread.
                  Even though it is an old thread,, it is one of the few threads that can have new links to ebooks added with new posts at nearly any time-- we just can't have links to sources that are for illegal copies, because we are a public forum.

Comment

I'm almost sure they are free to copy... I can't remember where I got them...

-GBHis

PS: Is FBI-papers copyrighted by FBI, or can I link those as well? They are the best ones. :)

Comment

So, i've finally gotten around to cleaning up my recording of Bruce Schneier's talk and putting it online. For all those who weren't able to make it to the D.C. area, here you go. Even encoded in mono at 64 kbps it is a 25 MB file. If anyone wants to mirror that, please feel free... you will win the admiration of my cable modem.
                      Done.

...---...
                      Error.
                      No more information is available
                      There is no more information available for this error at this time.
                      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      © 2000 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Comment

Originally posted by zorch
                        thanks! you rock, man... find me at DC14 and i'll buy you a drink.
                        - Trent Reznor

Comment

Re: Bruce Schneier on "behavioral assessment" profiling

learning about physcial responce was among the best things I ever did. and it's so logical when you look at it... I look forward to hearing what Bruce has to say about it

PS sorry for bringing the thread back.. I have been gone a while and still wanmted to add my 2 cents
                          If I had a nickle for every time someone offered me ten cents to keep my two cents to myself... I would be a rich man.

Comment

Working...
                          X