C64 emulated on a single IC - work in progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C64 emulated on a single IC - work in progress

Anyone still have a soft spot for the C64? There is a group working on a C64 emulator (running off a single IC)-

So I thought I'd ask- memories of the C64? Thoughts, feelings?

LosT

Originally posted by LosT

LosT
    Ahh yes, Seeing one destroyed in the trunk of my ex's car after i was rearended. Or that couldve been what was left of my atari2600 . Seems cool though, im sure a lot of folks would love a rebirth for nostalgic purposes.
    "Haters, gonna hate"

Comment

C-64... Wasn't that some cheesy knockoff of the greatest home computers of all time, the Atari 8-bit range? :D Who could forget the Atari vs. Commodore BBS arguments? Classic!

I'm guessing that you're talking about the Commodore 64 DTV. Interesting idea, and I think we're going to see more of this sort of thing and with more power in the future - after all, the Sony PSP is basically an SGI Indy in miniature.

Looks like there're some interesting hacks around for it, too.

Comment

Anyone still have a soft spot for the C64? There is a group working on a C64 emulator (running off a single IC)-

LosT
        I was addicted to Jumpman. The 64 also had speech software generally ahead of the pack, iirc. I still have BBS logs trapped on commie 3.5" disks, readable only by the specific term program I used (desksomething, I think). Even when I finally migrated to IBM, I kept a commie 128 around for a long time as backup and to play occasional games of jumpman. Don't forget BeachHeadII (I did not like this game, I just liked to drop the guys from the helicopter, then shoot them so they'd talk/scream), taxi, and GhostBusters.

A couple years ago when I set a commie up at the FreeGeek thrift store, I had to write instructions to folks on the proper method of shutting the machine down. These young whipper snappers don't remember in what order to shut a system down, especially to never turn the floppy drive off with the disk inside. I never experienced difficulties myself, but had heard tales of folks who had.

I also have fond memories of trying to smother the sound of the dot matrix printer with couch cushions in the vain attempt to not wake my parents while printing out my homework in the morning.

Comment

I had a C64 when i was like 8 years old, and i used to play "The Untouchables" and "Ghostbusters" for like 6 hours in a row .

At one point i actually tried to program a game (i was 9)... and i think i invented a new programming language, because i don't think that BASIC containted syntaxes like "clothes color = red" or "speed of car : accelerate".

I was a hardcore programmer
          BY ACCEPTING THIS BRICK THROUGH YOUR WINDOW, YOU ACCEPT IT AS IS AND AGREE TO MY DISCLAIMER OF ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, AS WELL AS DISCLAIMERS OF ALL LIABILITY, DIRECT, INDIRECT, CONSEQUENTIAL OR INCIDENTAL, THAT MAY ARISE FROM THE INSTALLATION OF THIS BRICK INTO YOUR BUILDING.

Comment

Working...
          X