Ira Winkler promoting his book on BookTV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ira Winkler promoting his book on BookTV

For those of you with interest, Ira Winkler was a speaker at Defcon in previous years, and it appears as though he was on TV promoting a new book.

In the episode on TV, he spoke about techniques he used to gain access to a company's private data, and gave amusing analogies.

Some example statements, paraphrased:
    "I told the guy I could stop asking him questions if he just logged out and then back in so I could see the order that the folders appeared on the screen, so I could stop bugging him." (Then he spoke about using this as a method to get the use to authenticate so he could shoulder surf the user.)

Preying on the lack of user skill to convince them to share their hard drive to the world by giving them directions to follow, which they did not understand, but followed anyway.

Using Newsletters to get inside information on what people were in charge of which projects for name dropping.

Identification of restricted information storage locations for later quick-removal. ("Casing the joint.")

I don't see it as a rerun anytime soon, nor do I see it yet in their archives for download, but here is the info in case you are interested in finding it on a rebroadcast:

Annapolis Book Festival, BookTV, C-SPAN2, "Spies Among Us"
    http://annapolisbookfestival.com/ (other books were there too)
    Description of the CSPAN-2 BookTV presentation

Re: Ira Winkler promoting his book on BookTV

Originally posted by TheCotMan

Annapolis Book Festival, BookTV, C-SPAN2, "Spies Among Us"
    http://annapolisbookfestival.com/ (other books were there too)
    Description of the CSPAN-2 BookTV presentation
    Ira was he guest speaker at the March 2006 ISSA-NOVA Chapter meeting. His presentation for that event can be found at http://issa-nova.org/archive.htm

It sounds like this was a long the same lines.
    DaKahuna

Comment

Re: Ira Winkler promoting his book on BookTV

Originally posted by TheCotMan
      For those of you with interest, Ira Winkler was a speaker at Defcon in previous years, and it appears as though he was on TV promoting a new book.
      Oh, I've seen the Annapolis Book Festival bit with Ira two or three times now. It doesn't quit being funny for me. I think Ira's reception at defcon has always been mixed (as it should be). His book on corporate espionage was unintentionally funny. Sure, he tells some good case studies, but you never know what's truth and what's bullshit with him.

I note that the audience was discouraged from asking questions, even though at the live event, on May 28th, there was clearly someone in the audience annoyed, and trying to ask stuff. You see less of it now that it's recorded, and he seems to be gone from the audience when it gets wrapped up.

Ira's rather like Alan Paller from SANS. This is not meant to be a compliment.

Comment

Working...
      X