• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• secret_squirrel
    replied
    Re: Defcon Movie Channel Schedule

Originally posted by TheCotMan
    If several of get DVDs over con, then a pre-seeded torrent could be very easy.

I will have a couple of 80gig drives with me.

If I can manage to find one of you guys at the CON, and you are not too busy to deal with me :) , I will help start the seed.

Leave a comment:

• secret_squirrel
    replied

Originally posted by Tierra
    I'd be willing to trade for beer, though Deviant deserves the credit this year for the filler.

I'll leave it as an exercise for you to find me at the con if you want a copy.

1. What kind of beer? :) (Will cash do?)

2. Great, exercise. :(

Leave a comment:

• TheCotMan
    replied

Originally posted by Kai
    I'd love to grab it via torrent after the con as well.
    If several of get DVDs over con, then a pre-seeded torrent could be very easy.

Leave a comment:

• Kai
    replied

I'd love to grab it via torrent after the con as well.

Leave a comment:

• DaKahuna
    replied

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam
    single. keeping it under 4.4 GB. you think i have the cash for a dual layer writer?
    That's good because while my MacBook Pro reads dual layer it does not write them. To write dual layer I would have to use my Dell D620, company provided, which had the dual layer DVD-RW. (Yes, I;ll have both with me!)

Leave a comment:

• jur1st
    replied

last year there was a long discussion over how to properly distribute the filler content post-con via bittorrent. i'll happily volunteer my home connection to be a pre-seeder.

Leave a comment:

• Deviant Ollam
    replied

single. keeping it under 4.4 GB. you think i have the cash for a dual layer writer?

Leave a comment:

• DaKahuna
    replied

Just one question - single or dual density DVD's? I am brining a few blanks of each!

Leave a comment:

• Deviant Ollam
    replied

heh... but it's still like version 0.9 of the filler since i can't stop myself from adding more stuff. (i noticed that somehow the five Jesus Christ Supercop eps were missing as well as one or two other clips.)

all in all, i'm doing my best to keep it at a single DVD size. i, too, will have a short stack of discs available at con. perhaps we'll keep a few in the lockpick village and the rule will be "you can borrow this for five minutes if you have a laptop right here" and i'll let ya' copy it.

also, word is that the travelling terabyte will also be making an appearance. i doubt we'll have much time for people to copy data off it (but, i do promise that if anyone were to actually show up with a 500 Gig drive they could mirror one of the two disks) but you can all drool at it before ASTCell takes it off to parts unknown.

Leave a comment:

• Tierra
    replied

Originally posted by TheCotMan
    I doubt that the movies will be publicly mentioned as available at the con. However, it is possible that the filler might be. I'd like DVD of the filler though. Will Filler be available on DVDs? If so how many, and how much?
    I made maybe 15-20 DVDs with everything that was on the playlist along with some extras that weren't last year. I might do the same this year if I have time to burn some off. I'd be willing to trade for beer, though Deviant deserves the credit this year for the filler.

If I do burn some copies off, I'll leave it as an exercise for you to find me at the con if you want a copy. I missed making it to the forum meet last year, but I'll make a another attempt to find it in time this year. I might also leave some copies at the Scavenger Hunt table assuming Siviak and Pinguino managed to put together the hunt this year.

We put together a torrent of the same content on the DVD last year as well, but there's no plans to do that again this year. But if anyone that manages to get a DVD off of me (assuming I make them) wants to put one together after Defcon, I'll help seed.

Leave a comment:

• TheCotMan
    replied

Originally posted by secret_squirrel
    For those of us you could not get a room at the Riviera, will there be a copy on DVD/s?
    I doubt that the movies will be publicly mentioned as available at the con. However, it is possible that the filler might be. I'd like DVD of the filler though. Will Filler be available on DVDs? If so how many, and how much?

Or will you possibly play these clips on tv's in and around the event floor?
    I don't know, but while you wait for an answer, such a thing has been done before...

Wayyy back in Defcon 6? and maybe 7? There was a TV that played various movies related to hacking. If I recall correctly, one year, it was on a corner section surrounded by fake partitions made of cloth, and another year, it may have been in it own room. I seem to recall that gamers, co-opted one of these spaces and player computer games while watching the video, until someone tried to use the TV screen as an external monitor. (I don't remember what happened after that, but later in the con, the TV was off.)

Leave a comment:

• secret_squirrel
    replied

For those of us you could not get a room at the Riviera, will there be a copy on DVD/s?

It would be a great souvenir.

Or will you possibly play these clips on tv's in and around the event floor?

Leave a comment:

• Denny2000
    replied

How about "Catch Me If You Can"?
    I know it stars Leonardo DiCaprio but the movie (and the book) is one of the best social engineering stories that I seen in awhile.
    Just my input.
    Denny

Leave a comment:

• Voltage Spike
    replied

I actually wanted to get 2 other non-hacker related movies on the schedule, but pushed for them a little late into making the schedule.
    I'm curious what those might be, but I can wait and be surprised next year.

I don't know how much Aeon Flux is really hacker related either though.
    Like Brazil, Minority Report, and others on the list, that definitely falls into your "dystopic" category.

Leave a comment:

• Tierra
    replied

True, that puts us at 93% hacker related films. I actually wanted to get 2 other non-hacker related movies on the schedule, but pushed for them a little late into making the schedule. I don't know how much Aeon Flux is really hacker related either though. It's somewhere in the same category as Gattaca which I thought was better. I think we played it couple years back at 11 or 12, and it's probably due for a comeback next year.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X