X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clp727
    replied
    Re: Electric Car...

I like the car too. I just hope that America's electrical power grids are in better shape when this car is released. Can't really charge the batteries if your electricity is out. But with a solar powered home, we're in business! The range on the Tesla is great because it can compete with a gas powered vehicle in the commute to work.

Leave a comment:

• Kai
    replied

Thanks for throwin' up the highlights dYn4mic.

Only reason I posted this was because I really had no idea that they could get that kind of acceleration from an electric motor. I was quite surprised. People keep saying fuel cell technology is 20 years out, but rather than wait I wouldn't mind seeing some Toshiba 4S plants dropped all around the country to beef up electrical supply to support an infrastructure for this kind of thing.

Leave a comment:

• dYn4mic
    replied

Thats pretty cool. Good name...

Some quick specs for those who don't want to visit the site:
    Drivetrain
    -Electric motor with 2-speed electric-shift manual transmission with integral differential

Motor
    3-phase, 4-pole electric motor, 248hp peak (185kW), redline 13,500 rpm, regenerative "engine braking"

Chassis
    -Bonded extruded aluminum with 4-wheel wishbone suspension

Brakes
    -4-wheel disc brakes with ABS

Acceleration
    -0 to 60 in about 4 seconds

Top Speed
    -Over 130 mph

Range
    -250 miles EPA highway

Battery Life
    -Useful battery life in excess of 100,000 miles

Energy Storage System
    -Custom microprocessor-controlled lithium-ion battery pack

Full Charge
    -As short as 3.5 hours

Leave a comment:

• Kai
    started a topic Electric Car...

Electric Car...

Disclaimer: Don't post much outside of DC related topics, so if this isn't geek 'nuff, feel free to delete.

Another forum recently opened my eyes to how advanced technology has gotten for electric power. I had no idea an electric car could be this freakin' cool. A car powered by 6300+ Li-Ion batteries. The same battery technology used in laptops. I was always under the impression that electric vehicles were glorified golf carts.

0-60 in 3.8 seconds!!!!

Will be selling the first 100 units in early 07, with plans to mass produce (and add a sedan 4 door model) by '08. Body and chassis design, and initial production by Lotus.

Maybe it's just me, but I want one. First 100 units will be about $80-100k, before mass production. If they get the cost down to $50-60k by '08, I'll be picking one up.

http://www.teslamotors.com

Working...
X