Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mobile Phone Security

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can give me any info on how someone you dont even know can get your mobile number and how you can protect yourself from these people? Also is there anyway i can trace a mobile number to see what network its from?

Thankyou

twirl
    Remember the days of bbs's ?

Come telnet to basex.bbs.us :-)

Re: Mobile Phone Security

Originally posted by twirl
    how someone you dont even know can get your mobile number
    mobile phone numbers, like all telephone numbers, consist of ten digits of numeric data, each of which can potentially range from zero to nine. due to addressing schemes, administrative prefixes, and other reserved spaces the actual number of real telephone numbers is significantly less than than the one hundred million permutations which would conceivably be possible to make... but still, it is not difficult to reach a person's phone line by dialing numbers at random.

that's the long answer... the short answer to your first question is "even an untrained monkey could fling rocks at a touch tone pad and 'get' your number." are you saying you're being targeted specifically by someone or some party? or are you just getting spam or irritating messages on your cel... if it's door #2, then maybe you're just being random dialed or auto-dialed.

and how you can protect yourself from these people?
    what is it exactly that these people are doing to you? stalking you? threatening you? or just irritating you and wasting your minutes or text messages. going in reverse order in the above list...

laws against advertisers and other idiots calling or messaging you are significantly stronger if they're reaching you on a cel phone. usually just informing them that they've done so will make them shit a small brick and promise to remove you from their call database. the same goes for text messaging... advertisers and businesses can get in real trouble if they are found to be using people's cel minutes.

if someone is threatening you, contact your local police department. if they are dumb enough to leave voicemails, be sure to save them. even if they do not leave messages, it is possible to record cel phone calls either on speakerphone or using a mini-jack to 1/8" audio cable.

if you are being actively stalked or physically threatened, check your home state's CCW laws.

is there anyway i can trace a mobile number to see what network its from?
    http://www.telcodata.us
    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
    - Trent Reznor

Comment

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam
      Not that that's necessarily relevant because you can move cell numbers between carriers now without taking the whole exchange with you.

Depending on how their (standard) voice mail's set up, you might be able to dial them with one phone so it rings, and then call with another to fall over to voice mail. I think Cingular's VM prompts for a paging number while Verizon's doesn't, but I'm not enough of a phreaker to know for sure.

Comment

if you are being actively stalked or physically threatened, check your home state's CCW laws.

http://www.telcodata.us
        A cetral office tour is a sight to behold for those of us that are old phone phreaks. I've only been inside three commercial central offices (one in Hawaii and two in Metro DC, including main). However, I've been in the military equivalents in Japan (2), Hawaii (3), Guam (1), in addition to a building in DC where the Secret Service's PBX is located.
        DaKahuna

Comment

Also is there anyway i can trace a mobile number to see what network its from?
          telcodata.us is a really good site, thanks for linking that. :-)

I used :
          http://www.reversephonedirectory.com/

This site has worked for me for many years, sometimes i get stumped and have to go else where, but it has a lot of searches and they are right most of the time. i have used another site, but i dont recall its name off hand.

Also, http://www.zabasearch.com/ can help when you are going further on a search.

There are so many ways people can get your number and more, from searches and just from being random. I have a disk at home with a min. of a million good phone, home and cell numbers. Meaning the names still match the numbers. There is a lot you can do with a phone number, and people love to buy and sell them.
          "Haters, gonna hate"

Comment

Hi,

Thankyou for all your help, its much appreciated and oddly enough i aint had anymore annoying prank calls at 1:30 am in the morning! :-)

Comment

i aint had anymore annoying prank calls at 1:30 am in the morning!
              heh, you know what this means, then... don't you? the perpetrator was obviously a nefarious hacker and therefore a habitual reader of the defcon forums. in between attempts to remotely compromise DoD computers they read your post and realized you were on to them. not wanting the feds to come knocking on their door and uncover their plans to smuggle heroin via the internet they decided to back off.
              "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
              - Trent Reznor

Comment

heh, you know what this means, then... don't you? the perpetrator was obviously a nefarious hacker and therefore a habitual reader of the defcon forums. in between attempts to remotely compromise DoD computers they read your post and realized you were on to them. not wanting the feds to come knocking on their door and uncover their plans to smuggle heroin via the internet they decided to back off.
                Shsssssh. you don't want to give away all our tactics do you!!
                DaKahuna

Comment

Originally posted by DaKahuna View Post
                  Shsssssh. you don't want to give away all our tactics do you!!
                  Haha, i though i had rid of them for good but now they back so maybe they dont know im onto them? :D

Oh well im going start a list of all the numbers of people harrassing me and shove them here :-

07789140095 (United Kingdom Number so add +44 if elsewhere)

Comment

Originally posted by twirl View Post

07789140095 (United Kingdom Number so add +44 if elsewhere)
                    If calling from the US drop the leading 0 so it would be 011-44-7789140095
                    DaKahuna

Comment

Working...
                    X