technology on the firing line... hearing protection advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• technology on the firing line... hearing protection advice

i'm looking in the direction of people like noid, lil_freak, and others with this one. it's holiday time and i'm thinking of finally putting some high-tech ear protection on my wish list. after ages of using either simple ear plugs or no-technology sound deadening muffs, i'd like to finally obtain a set of electronic hearing protectors.

quesitons i'd have for people here would primarily be: have you had a particularly good or bad experience with certain models of such a product? i've looked at offerings from Pro Ears, Browning, and Remington, but have never tried any of them out on a range. [UPDATE: after some more searching i came across Walker Game Ears which appear to offer very strong noise reduction (24 db) while also being a somewhat slim, chop-cup design. at $50 less than all the pro-ear sets, these may be my top choice unless other people have negative things to say about them]

Any considerations that people would care to offer concerning peak clipping vs. compression and other such technologies would be of use. Is there a particular NRR that i should seek at minimium? is the highest always the best or do you reach a point where you've got a cumbersome pair of coconut-sized things over each ear only to be gaining an addtional 2 or 3 db of sound reduction?

i'm hoping to max out at $200 with whatever model i choose... one of my very cool aunts is getting this for me and i don't want to push her largess beyond its limit.
    Last edited by Deviant Ollam; November 27, 2006, 11:22.
    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
    - Trent Reznor

Re: technology on the firing line... hearing protection advice

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
    i'm looking in the direction of people like noid, lil_freak, and others with this one. it's holiday time and i'm thinking of finally putting some high-tech ear protection on my wish list. after ages of using either simple ear plugs or no-technology sound deadening muffs, i'd like to finally obtain a set of electronic hearing protectors.

quesitons i'd have for people here would primarily be: have you had a particularly good or bad experience with certain models of such a product? i've looked at offerings from Pro Ears, Browning, and Remington, but have never tried any of them out on a range. [UPDATE: after some more searching i came across Walker Game Ears which appear to offer very strong noise reduction (24 db) while also being a somewhat slim, chop-cup design. at $50 less than all the pro-ear sets, these may be my top choice unless other people have negative things to say about them]

Any considerations that people would care to offer concerning peak clipping vs. compression and other such technologies would be of use. Is there a particular NRR that i should seek at minimium? is the highest always the best or do you reach a point where you've got a cumbersome pair of coconut-sized things over each ear only to be gaining an addtional 2 or 3 db of sound reduction?

i'm hoping to max out at $200 with whatever model i choose... one of my very cool aunts is getting this for me and i don't want to push her largess beyond its limit.
    Bose makes a system that can be installed in Humvees which significantly reduces the sounds from explosions (i.e., IEDs) but still allows normal conversation among the people in the vehicle. I don't have specs at the moment but I'll see if I can find them.

I'm not sure if there is a similar stand-alone system but I'd be surprised if there wasn't. Then again, Bose is never cheap.

EDIT: Here is an article about it.

EDIT 2: Having used these systems first-hand, they absolutely rock. If there is sufficient interest I can probably put a few words into my next presentation about them.
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Comment

I would try to find something that has a high dB rating, most ear protection products rate 12dB and Up. When looking at dB ratings think about it like I do: A normal conversation is about 60 dB, unless your talking to me because I just talk really loud, most things louder than 85 decibels (dB) can damage your ears and a lot of everyday commonly used items rate 100 dB.

I have two kinds of ear protection that I use quite a bit that I would recommend, however they cost quite a pretty penny.

1. ESP Digital, they retail around $2000.00 a pair but they kick ass. I had to have my pair ordered for me through a GSA contractor, so I'm not too sure which direction to point you in as far as who might have them and who might carry them.

2. Products from Ear Inc. ( Website Here )

I also like the the big tubs of 36 dB purple ear plugs that you can find almost anywhere. (They come in other colors too, but I like the purple ones )
      "It is difficult not to wonder whether that combination of elements which produces a machine for labor does not create also a soul of sorts, a dull resentful metallic will, which can rebel at times". Pearl S. Buck

Comment

Howdy folks. Havent been around much. If you are looking for hearing protection for the firing line, I highly recommend anything by Peltor. Their Comtac-3 setups are probably some of the best out there, in fact they are used quite a bit by the 'High Speed, Low Drag' folks in various armed forces. I use a set of Peltor SoundTrap ears when I shoot. They're a nifty OD green color, do a great job reducing loud noise, allow me to speak in a normal voice when not shooting, and have a jack in them for running my comms (or my ipod, depending on situation) into them.

I return whatever i wish . Its called FREEDOWM OF RANDOMNESS IN A HECK . CLUSTERED DEFEATED CORn FORUM . Welcome to me

Comment

I use Peltor when I wear my Kevlar. They are formed so that a helmet can be worn over them. Terrific sound silencing. It is a pain installing the batteries though, but they last quite a while.

Once you go with this technology there is no going back. For my iPod I have the Bose noise canceling headset 2 and for flying I use the David Clark X11.

Comment

Working...
          X