How can the forums be improved?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can the forums be improved?

It is that time of year again; it's time to ask for suggestions on how to improve the Defcon Forums.

Are you new the the forums and have an idea? If your account is 24 hours old or older, you should be able to reply to this thread. Been around for a long time and have ideas? Post em.

This is your time to point out problems, make suggestions, and comments about what sucks on the Defcon Forums.

-Cot

This happened last year and in other threads with many good ideas, which lead to some changes.

Because if user and moderator feedback, we have included some great ideas through modifications to the Defcon Forums:
    1) Search form on the top of the page, with links to advanced search
    2) Links to the Rules, with a notice of enforcement near the top of the page
    3) Multiple updates to the forum "FAQ" link, such as links to the Defcon FAQ, Rules, definitions like Forum Leaders/Organizers, and more.
    4) Updates and revisions to rules
    5) Addition of the /dev/random section for less restrictive, social content
    6) Shorter delay between searches
    7) Leaving the forums running during Defcon
    8) Dedicated subforums for each contest or event
    9) Addition of Forum Contest/Event Leaders/Organizers as new titles with extra controls to help them promote their contest or event.
    10) Addition of dedicated Defcon Groups, one forum for each listed DCG.
    11) Shorten the waiting time for REPLIES to existing threads to just 24 hours with brand new users.
    12) Modifications to the User Signup page to include reference to the rules, and notice of the enforced waiting period.
    13) Modification to the email validation to include references to the wwaiting period and rules.
    14) Modification to the welcome email to include references to the wwaiting period and rules.
    15) RSS Feeds for the forums with links to RSS feeds from the main defcon site, and pics.defcon.org.
    16) Addition of pics.defcon.org for picture posting, with integration of authentication credentials used in the forums for single-session login and update.
    *) More from previous requests for comment on the forums.

We have probably changed well over 4 times as many things as you see mentioned above, but those other changes did not work, and as a result were trashed. (We often try things, just to see if they will work. After we review the results, some of these ideas are kept, most are not.)

Thoughts?
    Ideas?
    Last edited by TheCotMan; January 24, 2007, 20:55.

Re: How can the forums be improved?

I never did like the "new black" we have nor for the forum background. It is a murky dark gray and I miss the solid black background and solid white letters. But maybe it is just me.

Comment

Originally posted by astcell View Post
      I never did like the "new black" we have nor for the forum background. It is a murky dark gray and I miss the solid black background and solid white letters. But maybe it is just me.
      We have the option to setup mutiple styles. Perhaps a high-contrast style (black-or-white) could be added.Then, you could choose to use it or "Defcon Default" and it should be setable on a per-user basis and associated with a login. Guest users would get defcon default, or the light grey, search page default.

Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by TheCotMan View Post
        We have the option to setup mutiple styles. Perhaps a high-contrast style (black-or-white) could be added.Then, you could choose to use it or "Defcon Default" and it should be setable on a per-user basis and associated with a login. Guest users would get defcon default, or the light grey, search page default.

Thoughts?
        I respectfully request pink. I anticipate a verbal assault now, but i shall take it valiantly.
        "Haters, gonna hate"

Comment

I'm a big fan of the Vanilla forum system. It allows for multiple user defined style sheets and has an application process for membership. There may be specific functions that it doesn't have, though. Just throwing it out there.
          jur1st, esq.

Comment

Working...
          X