Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The job interview.....

For a reference - see the "tech support" thread in dev/null

I guess I answered their 3 stupid scenarios “correctly” because I got invited to an interview.

So there I sit across from 3 Gates Clones being fucked with by the barrage of brain teasers. (the sq root of 50 squared…) duh. Or (You have 9 golf balls of equal dimensions….how many can I shove up my ass in four minutes….blah blah)

I got them all right, then they played the acronym game HTML, ASP, TCP/IP, DNS, AJAX, PHP, IP, and some others. Grilled me on some SQL, and ask about Cold Fusion, then they handed me a printout of three simple lines of code (C#) and asked me to find the problems. They declared 3 variables and concatenated them…so they left off a closed quote, and left out an ampersand, and a space…

Then they followed with some predicable HR type questions…..”Tell me a time when you had to blow a customer and how you felt about it….”

I correctly jumped through their hoops! I guess you can tell by now I got rejected.

What the hell man….do you think it’s my age? Maybe they hate goatees, or resent that I farted and caused a 15 minute recess, or spelled Microsoft with the $$ signs…

Anyway, though I’d share my pissy day with ya'll

Holla,

T
    "640k ought to be enough for anybody" - Bill Gates 1981

Re: The job interview.....

Buzzword Bingo rules!
    45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B0
    45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B1
    [ redacted ]

Comment

That sounds like tech support employment procedure; no offense. Then again with Microsoft it could very well be the procedure for applying for senior level software engineer.

When I worked for ASEC out of NC during my first year of college They presented you with a simple non-linear chunk of data, and you had to describe to them how you'd write a JVM solution to parse, and present the data based on certain criteria. That was just for a entry level developer position, and I only got on because they where having financial troubles at the time, and they couldn't afford senior level developers. I only stayed for two years because I had an opportunity in data entry with a Radio Astronomy project out in Nevada which I'm still doing now.

One thing I can honestly say I like about MS is the fact they're the proof of most Intelligence agency's incompetents. I could start my own company with the employees currently employed on there east coast division that have non-US favorable militant backgrounds.

Comment

Originally posted by SlackJaw View Post
        For a reference - see the "tech support" thread in dev/null

I guess I answered their 3 stupid scenarios “correctly” because I got invited to an interview.

So there I sit across from 3 Gates Clones being fucked with by the barrage of brain teasers. (the sq root of 50 squared…) duh. Or (You have 9 golf balls of equal dimensions….how many can I shove up my ass in four minutes….blah blah)

[snipped]

T
        At least you were able to get an interview... My attempts to get one, even with friends who work for them already have failed. Which is fine, since those friends filled me in on tha suck it is to work for them.

Comment

Originally posted by VAX_to_PBX View Post
          One thing I can honestly say I like about MS is the fact they're the proof of most Intelligence agency's incompetents. I could start my own company with the employees currently employed on there east coast division that have non-US favorable militant backgrounds.
          Were
          two
          start
          perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

Comment

Just for clarification I was joking. I don't know if that's actually true, or not. It's based on a attempted prank from years back when I knew some people who worked at MS in various fields, and a few of them where Pakistani.

I'd prefer the federal government not do one of there "fact finding missions" on me, or anyone else, and someone end up doing a federal prison sentence for a missing mattress tag, or a VHS with some recordings of 80's sitcoms that's long been forgotten in there attic(LOL.)

As for the subject of this thread; I'm clueless. I get my jobs by using my software engineering history. If I can't find work that doesn't require me to wear a dilbert costume, and say yes sir. I crank up my creative process, and sale my own software solutions till something opens up.

Usually when your education, and/or experience is practical for the desired field you just go strait into being introduced to company procedures completely bypassing the interviews. Bullshitting has also worked for many people in the IT industry.

NOTE: Anyone remember a thread from some time in 2005 when people where claiming they used DefCon attendances, and join dates in there resumes? If so please post a link.
            Last edited by VAX_to_PBX; March 2, 2007, 22:27.

Comment

That sounds like tech support employment procedure; no offense. Then again with Microsoft it could very well be the procedure for applying for senior level software engineer.
              Actually, it was a web hosting / development gig. Why I REALLY wanted it was the fact that I would work from a home office.

Do you believe they actually were worried that, because I'm a LAMPP developer, I would try to encourage them to go live with a linux platform? They asked me about that TWICE!

I won't iterate here why I prefer a lampp environment, but I really don't have a problem with IIS, 2003, SQL Server, etc... if I'm being paid.

What? Like on the first day I would start bitching about how they should totally convert to lampp? Not likely....

They also wanted the candidate to have at least an MCP certificate. I offered to pop for the $200 and run out and buy one...
              "640k ought to be enough for anybody" - Bill Gates 1981

Comment

Originally posted by SlackJaw View Post
                Actually, it was a web hosting / development gig. Why I REALLY wanted it was the fact that I would work from a home office.

Do you believe they actually were worried that, because I'm a LAMPP developer, I would try to encourage them to go live with a linux platform? They asked me about that TWICE!

I won't iterate here why I prefer a lampp environment, but I really don't have a problem with IIS, 2003, SQL Server, etc... if I'm being paid.

What? Like on the first day I would start bitching about how they should totally convert to lampp? Not likely....

They also wanted the candidate to have at least an MCP certificate. I offered to pop for the $200 and run out and buy one...
                I have no comment on MS certifications. They're about as prefab, and impractical as most other IT certs with the exception of Cisco Professional, and Engineer certs. They can't replace a college education where real research, and lab skills are acquired.

MS invented the dog eat dog mentality in the IT industry. I thought they where gonna have the feds throw all the GNU people in prison when I was at a assessment meeting in Seattle about a year ago. Even though the GNU developers where consulting on a MS product(Vista) they where still seen as enemy's.

What's bizarre is the MS developers who use to contribute to the Open Source philosophy prior to being employed by MS now have the same hate towards GNU, and GPL solution providers. Even credited current open source developers are starting to get the whole meal ticket outlook on computing, and software though.

It's good practice as a career developer to avoid jobs where you're in the middle of corporate warfare. Just look at the Google Developer Video's. Those poor bastards have been through every IT company that's been trademarked since the early 80's.
                Last edited by VAX_to_PBX; March 3, 2007, 14:50.

Comment

I have no comment on MS certifications. They're about as prefab, and impractical as most other IT certs with the exception of Cisco Professional, and Engineer certs. They can't replace a college education where real research, and lab skills are acquired.

MS invented the dog eat dog mentality in the IT industry. I thought they where gonna have the feds throw all the GNU people in prison when I was at a assessment meeting in Seattle about a year ago. Even though the GNU developers where consulting on a MS product(Vista) they where still seen as enemy's.

What's bizarre is the MS developers who use to contribute to the Open Source philosophy prior to being employed by MS now have the same hate towards GNU, and GPL solution providers. Even credited current open source developers are starting to get the whole meal ticket outlook on computing, and software though.

It's good practice as a career developer to avoid jobs where you're in the middle of corporate warfare. Just look at the Google Developer Video's. Those poor bastards have been through every IT company that's been trademarked since the early 80's.
                  Dude...you are straight up killing me.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/where
                  http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/were

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/there
                  http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/their
                  http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/they're

Comment

Yeah my vocabulary is off, but I wasn't aware there was an active member here who didn't have vocabulary, and grammar mistakes in there post's.

Your one liner isn't even correct by the standards of written english, and probably not correct even under the structure of ebonics if there are even standards for them.

Can you perhaps hate on someone else? I don't even know you. I know if I make you out to be a hypocrite by quoting your typo's, and bad structure from all your posts on this board I'll be banned because you where he before me.

I'm not good at responding to hate, so please excuse the fact I don't respond with something witty.
                    Last edited by VAX_to_PBX; March 3, 2007, 18:15.

Comment

Can you perhaps hate on someone else? I don't even know you. I know if I make you out to be a hypocrite by quoting your typo's, and bad structure from all your posts on this board I'll be banned because you where he before me.

I'm not good at responding to hate, so please excuse the fact I don't respond with something witty.

Oh come on...you HAD to be trying to be witty with that...please, tell me you were trying to be witty.
                      Last edited by Chris; March 3, 2007, 20:00.

Comment

Cut him some slack, maybe he's using vista's speech recognition.

Comment

Yeah my vocabulary is off, but I wasn't aware there was an active member here who didn't have vocabulary, and grammar mistakes in there post's.

Your one liner isn't even correct by the standards of written english, and probably not correct even under the structure of ebonics if there are even standards for them.

It's because you consistently make those same mistakes (like with possessives and plurals), and it makes it hard to read because the incorrect word (in this case, homonyms) in the middle of the sentence makes the sentence lose all meaning. (I get confused easily)

And Ebonics has rules, for example: http://privatewww.essex.ac.uk/~patrickp/AAVE.html
                          lurking...somewhere

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                            Dude...you are straight up killing me.
                            * "Yeah," is informal. The word, "yes," would be better.
                            * A period or some other punctuation could end "Yes" to show pause before the rest of the sentence is parsed.
                            * Vocabulary itself can't be on or off as a state change. Vocabulary can exist or not exist. A person can have a large or small vocabulary, but improper use of a word isn't *necessarily* a problem with vocabulary (1), as it could be a problem with understanding and knowing word definitions, or proper spelling of words.
                            (1) Depending on the definition of vocabulary used.
                            * Depending on the definition of vocabulary used, improper use of words may not be a mistake in vocabulary, but assigned to a mistake in the understanding of word definition or perhaps a misunderstanding of how they are spelled.
                            * You are using the word, "grammar," in the context of an adjective even though it is a noun in the present state. What you probably wanted was an adjective, like "grammatical" and if not, then maybe the addition of a preposition and pronoun to refine it in the sentence fragment as shown in this example: "mistakes in/with my [use of] grammar."
                            * "There" is a reference of location, while the word, "their," would suggest ownership.
                            * "post's," don't have ownership or possession, but you could use the plural of post which is posts. (This is one astcell's pet peeves.)

I don't have time to point out more examples of problems in the rest of your post. If I had some idea that you might learn from corrections and constructive criticism of your use of English, I'd probably post more constructive criticism more often.

You're one liner isn't even correct by the standards of written English, and probably not correct even under the structure of ebonics if there are even standards for them.

The content of the post made by Chris does not read as hate; it reads as *constructive* criticism or at the worst, frustration, and that is not bad. From my view, he was quite civil about this.

Some of your history:
                            * ndex complains to you about your education
                            * theprez98 questions your sources on stats you tried to present here and then you admit that you were estimating based on content you claim you found on blogs.
                            * LoST tries to be nice and also lets you know that generally, those pagers they use at some places use UHF here and you proceed to react with snide comments, only to finally admit you only looked at one source for one device, and still offer no thanks for being corrected and given new information that you did not know before.
                            * Chris asks you for citations to backup your posted stats here and you have no reply.
                            I ask you for citations about a bill you mention here and you only have to say, "your guess is as good as mine."
                            LoST comments about your spelling/word-choice here

When you look at the trends in your posts you can see:
                            1) Any statistics you provide generally do not have any secondary sources or you don't include secondary sources when asked.
                            2) When people offer you corrections, your immediate response is generally negative. It seems that as a result of this, fewer and fewer people even respond to your posts or correct mistakes that you post. (Why should people spend their valuable time to offer corrections when you only offer negative comments in return?)
                            3) When people point out mistakes with spelling or grammar, and you reply with less than 24 hours after the original post, you don't edit and "fix" any mistakes. (The edit button allows for edits of posts within 24 hours of the post date and time.)

Learn or don't, it is your choice.

Comment

Wow, nobody even mentioned "typo's" (typos)
                              45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B0
                              45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B1
                              [ redacted ]

Comment

Working...
                              X