DCG Media Idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DCG Media Idea

What does everyone think of this idea. What if there was a section on the DefCon site where DefCon groups could submit some of their "best of" talks/presentations in audio or video format, to be reviewed, chosen and posted for public viewing/review. And we could even set up a system for voting on presentations and could have the best talk(s) shown at DefCon and acknowledged. I think that this would really get the juices flowing for DefCon groups, and could help more people get involved in doing and learning from our talks and presentations. I think that this would be a great year round thing to participate in, that could also incorporate DefCon its self.

-h3adrush
    ARRR!

Re: DCG Media Idea

Originally posted by h3adrush View Post
    What does everyone think of this idea. What if there was a section on the DefCon site where DefCon groups could submit some of their "best of" talks/presentations in audio or video format, to be reviewed, chosen and posted for public viewing/review. And we could even set up a system for voting on presentations and could have the best talk(s) shown at DefCon and acknowledged. I think that this would really get the juices flowing for DefCon groups, and could help more people get involved in doing and learning from our talks and presentations. I think that this would be a great year round thing to participate in, that could also incorporate DefCon its self.

-h3adrush
    What if pics.defcon.org were configured to allow posting of videos, and areas were setup for DCG to have specific users with larger quotas to upload H.264/xvid encoded video with good compression/quality? Multiple presentations could be located there, not just "the best of."

Pics supports voting, would allow us to leverage our existing userbase, which would limit impact of attempts to "stuff the ballot box" and pics allows for content organization, and lets users that publish content to relocate to the places they belong.

This would mean some sort of change in the quota control to grant tons more space to people that would post videos, and would require other work on the server-side. This will also require some work on the server, and an alternate to the present archive system because of the GB->TB of storage that would be required.

Thoughts? Feedback?

What if defcon videos from previous defcon were moved to be served from pics.defcon.org? Thoughts? Such a system would allow for comments to be left under videos too, and links to related material could be contributed as well.

Comment

Working...
    X