Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• astcell
    replied
    Octal, that is all you need. I think last year I handed out 6 cards. No one should walk around volunteering information and expecting anything LESS than being hacked.

Leave a comment:

• octalpus
    replied
    I usually just print up some calling cards that have my name, cell number, handle, and e-mail. It's easier than scribbling it down whenever I want to exchange info, but it doesn't give a ton of info.

Leave a comment:

• codex
    replied
    FYI

Considering the nature of defcon and some of the people who will be in attendence I would think long and hard about handing out a great deal of personal information such as name, address, phone number, birthdate, work history, email, comunity activity, charity work, school experience, etc. That would be just about everthing that someone would need to 1) steal your ID, or 2) guess at most of your passwords.

Name, email, city of residense and state of residence (not full address though) should be enough for any business card. That tells them 1) Who you are, 2) how to get a hold of you, and 3) where in the country you life, ie are you local or not. If they need more info they can email you.

Leave a comment:

• binarybandito
    replied
    Hear Hear!

Ok, so admittedly I've only been to Defcon once before, but I wholeheartedly agree that the whole shmoozing for contacts thing is merely a tiny part of a much larger thing. I feel that Defcon is supposed to be about learning about all cryptic stuff that they don't teach you at school, while hanging out with people who's outlook is a little skewed from common (end user) society. But if you make contacts there who can help you and whom you can help, more power to you .
    By the way, does anyone know anything about Mac networking or know where I can find a good Mac networking tutorial focusing on the 7.2 OS or earlier. I just found (outside buried in snow) a Macintosh with a network port, but cant seem to make it connect (I can't even ping it) to anything. Thanks a lot.
    Also, isn't HOPE this year. Oh god, I can just see it now: an entire Con road trip. I'm getting a boner just thinking about it! Who's with me?!!!
    BINARY BANDITO

Leave a comment:

• astcell
    replied
    not resume fodder

I'd never use defcon to get resume materials or search for new work, at least not on purpose. I'm sure that opportunities do fall into some people's lap there.

Neither do I think Defcon is the place for the dot com preppies to "do lunch" and exchange addresses in their PDAs. We make friends at Defcon, even better than other places, and we want to talk with them again before the year is out.

Old fogie me just figured that business cards were the way to go, but scribbling your e-mail down on the back of a napkin works too. Maybe someone say business cards in my post and equated it with showing up in a suit and tie. (Don't do that!)

The best thing you will walk away with from Defcon is having met others with whom you connect, challenge, and feel challenged. A laptop is not necessary but it is nice, same with the cards, beer, digital camera, gambling $, Advil and a CAT5 cable.

OKay back to having fun! ::soapbox off::

Leave a comment:

• Verruckt
    replied
    windowsme

One really cheap way of getting a notebook, is to go to the Newark airport and look for some business type dude with 10 bags on the floor yacking on a payphone, and..... just kidding.

Pawn shops would be a good place to look.

Try calling some companies and seeing if they have some old crap they are getting ready to sell. Most of these refurbished computer stores get their stock from bigger companies selling off the old, to make way for the new.

Leave a comment:

• Chris
    replied
    Re: what then, Chris?

Originally posted by astcell
    burning little CD cards with you work would be nice, but the business cards work forme, I have a book of about 30 cards and I find the networking indispensable. Then again I am over 30 years old and work in the computer field, so maybe that's how us older folks work and think.
    I am also over 30 and work in computer security. I just don't think that "The #1 thing you need" at DefCon is business cards of any type. If you are looking to network for employment purposes, go to Black Hat. It is more geared toward the networking/shmoozing/professional side of things.

DefCon may be about a lot of things, but it is NOT about expanding your resume/contact list.

Last edited by Chris; February 25, 2002, 11:16.

Leave a comment:

• astcell
    replied
    what then, Chris?

burning little CD cards with you work would be nice, but the business cards work forme, I have a book of about 30 cards and I find the networking indispensable. Then again I am over 30 years old and work in the computer field, so maybe that's how us older folks work and think.

Leave a comment:

• Chris
    replied
    Re: Defcon laptop

Originally posted by astcell

The #1 thing you need at the 'con are business cards.
    /me sighs and cringes

Leave a comment:

• binarybandito
    replied
    me again

ME, looks like youre on the right track, however if you want to have a clue at defcon you really need some background info, and since you've got plenty of time left a few things you might want to look into is: Programming - any language will do but learn the basics and it will serve you well, not only at Defcon but throughout life, Networking - This is essential, Drinking - I know you are still in High School, but it is never too early to begin and it is a vital skill at Defcon.
    Also, when you get that 'top, you might want to ditch that Windows crap and use a 'NIX system (Linux, FreeBSD , NetBSD, etc.) because though it will seem complicated at first it will pay off for you 100 fold down the road, but I'm not gonna tell you what to do, what the hell do I know?
    Last year there was supposed to be a New England caravan to Defcon, that just sortof fell through (I followed it because I'm from New Hampshire) but maybe this year it will actually happen and you could hop on that! Despite the pain of riding in a car with several other (possibly obese) smelly guys from the East coast to Vegas, caravaning is really fun. Not to mention you could probably just pay them 100$ and they would take you there and back. To find out about caravans, keep watching here and at the Deathrace board (www.deathrace25.org ).
    Anyways, good luck and we'll see you at the con!
    Binary Bandito

Leave a comment:

• windowsme
    replied
    Thx

Thats good my school has a print shop. I can make about a thousand buisiness cards.

yeah you are right. i looked im compusa magazine. they sell 600 mhz celeron. 18 gug hd. 16 vid. so i went to look at it. ($599)

The guy said for to ruturn in june when they release the pentium 4 advance or suttin. its suppose to be around 3 gigs. He said itll be way cheaper for a laptop. he said he can also get me a 30 % discount if i gaave him 20 bux. so he said i can get 800 mhz celeron 20 gig hd. dvd or burner 32 meg vid. for around $499

so hopefully ill be able to pick one up. i dont need fancy crap ust something i can run simple applications.

Leave a comment:

• d0gcomplex
    replied
    Try
    http://www.truedataproducts.com/laptops.htm
    They have some cheaper starter laptops at the bottom of the page.
    updated occasionaly with new refurbs

Leave a comment:

• astcell
    replied
    Defcon laptop

Hey Windowsme, what can I say, I feel your pain. If I was in NJ I'd take the entire office to your Dad's restaurant for dinner. A lot of folks have been hurt since 9/11. Anyway back to the posts....

If you can save and scrimp, do so and buy a laptop around mid July. That way you will have time to make sure that it works, and you will get the best deal. A $500 laptop today will be $400 in July. There are $1200 laptops today that are fully loaded. Be patient and let time be on your side, unless you need 6 months to learn programming or anything else in the meantime, however since you are posting here I take it that you already have a computer.

The #1 thing you need at the 'con are business cards. Even the cheapie home made ones so that others can stay in touch with you, print them with your name, e-mail and whatever else, it's great. I have handed out plenty of cards that say diddly on them, and receved as many in return, and the networking is amazing. They work.

As far as rides, 2 years ago we had 2 enpty seats, last year we had one, there are always folks offering rides and desperately looking for intelligent conversation for a 5 hour drive. I'm sure a rideshare and roomshare board will soon appear.

Lastly if you do get a cheap laptop, you can always sell it later when you upgrade. Laptops always have resale value. It is that first step that is the hard one.

Leave a comment:

• windowsme
    replied
    uhh

its currently 305. i put a bid on it and the guy said hell go up to 500. i cant offord that much for som,ethign that small performance. thx anyways. the begging price was good !

Leave a comment:

• windowsme
    replied
    SWEET

Thx dude!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X