X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RejectCon

Originally posted by bloofar View Post
    Please, oh please, let there be a gong. If someone provides a gong I'll provide a solenoid clacker.
    If you all will be at the forum meet let's get together and see what we can come up with for next year...

Just tie the solenoid in with a db meter measuring crowd response (bonus points for differentiating boos versus claps) and you've got a freaking contest.
    "Raise a toast to ... I think he might have been our only decent ."

Comment

Well, 8 months post facto I'd like to throw this back on the table.

For those too lazy to visit the OP, the basic idea is that people whose talks were rejected and/or joe schmo can sign up to do a lightning talk (5-10 minutes)

This could be a formally sanctioned event, or it could effectively be unofficial. In the former case, the entire series of lightning talks could take the place of a single official talk, and there'd be goons present to yoink the crimethinc-types who are talking about blowing up buildings off stage. In the latter case, well... there'd still probably be a goon, although perhaps the subject matter could be slightly more risque.

The talks would run until a hard stop (10 minutes?) or until the boos from the crowd grow loud enough that the organizer (me?) cuts the talk off (with a gong, and possibly a giant hooked cane?) Each talk could be stopped at 5 minutes, and the crowd asked whether or not they want to hear more.

Another possible format was described by CotMan: a booth would be open Thursday or Friday for people to appear and effectively do a video mini-CFP. Anyone wishing to give a lightning talk could give a boiled-down 30 second version to the camera. That night, the footage could be reviewed and lightning talks selected, then the next day the winning rejects could be posted, along with some "standby" people in case the winners don't show up or start going on some rant about civil disobedience at the Republican National Convention.

My gut feeling is there's a long tail of potentially cool presentations which have enough material for a lightning talk but not enough for a full-fledged talk.
      45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B0
      45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B1
      [ redacted ]

Comment

Originally posted by bascule View Post
        Well, 8 months post facto I'd like to throw this back on the table.
        I'm still in support of you doing this as well. I would like to see you guys figure out how you're going to do it before we start rejecting Defcon submissions though, work out the kinks amongst yourselves. That way if it's possible I can at least incorporate this event in and pass on free advertising on the behalf of the organizers. For example: Sorry you we not accepted but maybe you should consider contacting x at X unofficial/official event where you may alternatively present your Foo.

I still like the confessions booth idea as well, regardless of it's relation to reject con.
        "Haters, gonna hate"

Comment

That sounds great (informing rejected talks about RejectCon)... is anyone else interested in helping organize it?

CotMan? :)
          [ redacted ]

Comment

Originally posted by bascule View Post
            That sounds great (informing rejected talks about RejectCon)... is anyone else interested in helping organize it?

CotMan? :)
            Don't involve me in this! My volunteer time to support Defcon is done before and after Defcon with the forums and other stuff, so that I can enjoy my time at Defcon.

Crazy hippies....

;-)

Comment

Originally posted by TheCotMan View Post
              Don't involve me in this! My volunteer time to support Defcon is done before and after Defcon with the forums and other stuff, so that I can enjoy my time at Defcon.

Crazy hippies....

;-)
              All right, guess I'll find someone else to involve in my crazy hippie shenanigans
              [ redacted ]

Comment

Working...
              X