BloodKode Challenge 2.0

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BloodKode Challenge 2.0

Let's start off with great news BarKode doesn't need constant blood transfusions! YAY so let's just say job well done & go about our business.....OR....Maybe we can help even more people with #BloodKode2 I say option B! So stay tuned for more information as we get ready to show the world once again that hacktivism can save lives. On that note we will also be working closely with "Be The Match" so get ready to swab some cheeks as well! ;-)

Re: BloodKode Challenge 2.0

Wasn't aware Barkode was finally doing so well but I am extremely glad to hear it! I'll do what I can to give blood this year, if it doesn't turn into booze, and be the match already has me as I made sure to sign up since I'm a ginger.

#occupydefcontosavebarkode
    Saving the world one computer at a time...

or possibly destroying, I haven't figured that out yet.

Comment

Originally posted by b0n3z View Post
      Wasn't aware Barkode was finally doing so well but I am extremely glad to hear it! I'll do what I can to give blood this year, if it doesn't turn into booze, and be the match already has me as I made sure to sign up since I'm a ginger.

#occupydefcontosavebarkode

Just remember we are not saving BarKode he is doing better this is doing a good deed for the sake of doing good. We kept the name because #BloodKode2 sounded cooler than DEFCON blood drive ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Jayson.Street View Post
        Just remember we are not saving BarKode he is doing better this is doing a good deed for the sake of doing good. We kept the name because #BloodKode2 sounded cooler than DEFCON blood drive ;-)
        Roger jayson, I will do my best to mix blood giving, boozing, working, etc.
        Saving the world one computer at a time...

or possibly destroying, I haven't figured that out yet.

Comment

Defcon blood drive sounds more like some offshoot of the cannonball run or what we mop up after someone takes a drunken faceplant.

Are there going to be options for those of us from out of country or who cannont donate on site. i.e. donation bucket or some such things?
          Never drink anything larger than your head!

Scaramental Wine Taster for the Church Of WiFi
          Buy our books!
          "I reject your reality, and substitute my own!" – Adam Savage
          CoWF WPA Hash Tables
          My Pants Are Haunted! My Pants Are Haunted!

Comment

I got the phone call today that I am a preliminary match for someone out there.

So, through a screwup on my part, I did'nt get my swabs back to One Match (Canadian version of be the match) until early last month. I feel like an ass for making someone wait.

More testing needed before donation, but proof that every person entered into the database matters. Get your ass (and marrow) registered. If you are thinking about it, just do it. If you sign up at con, bring me paperwork, first beer is on me if that helps sway your decision.

Even if you are not from the states, there is likely a local one in your country (I found Canada's and listed things here: https://forum.defcon.org/showthread.php?t=12534)

Buy our books!
            CoWF WPA Hash Tables

Comment

Originally posted by renderman View Post
              I got the phone call today that I am a preliminary match for someone out there.

So, through a screwup on my part, I did'nt get my swabs back to One Match (Canadian version of be the match) until early last month. I feel like an ass for making someone wait.

More testing needed before donation, but proof that every person entered into the database matters. Get your ass (and marrow) registered. If you are thinking about it, just do it. If you sign up at con, bring me paperwork, first beer is on me if that helps sway your decision.

Even if you are not from the states, there is likely a local one in your country (I found Canada's and listed things here: https://forum.defcon.org/showthread.php?t=12534)
              THAT IS AWESOME!!!!! way to go!

Also even if you give blood in your home country within a month before DEFCON as long as you bring proof you gave you will be eligible for the sweepstakes at DEFCON but must be present to win. :-)

Comment

Also even if you give blood in your home country within a month before DEFCON as long as you bring proof you gave you will be eligible for the sweepstakes at DEFCON but must be present to win. :-)
                That is good to know as that is my next thing to investigate. Though I am curious if my skinny ass has any extra blood.

Buy our books!
                CoWF WPA Hash Tables

Comment

Two things:

First, were there ever any official numbers as to how many sign-ups we hadl last year and how many blood donations? I want to add it to a talk I'm doing to show we do some good in the world at con.

Second, with my situation, I cannot give blood until well after I donate marrow or well after I am freed from the need which is about two months on average. I gotta keep the bucket full I guess. That puts me into about July and with HOPE, I wil not be able to do a blood donation at home before con. If the assembled Defcon masses have no objection, can my potential donation paperwork from now, count in the contest? I cant think of a better reason to be unable to donate blood than storing up for a marrow donation.

Buy our books!
                  CoWF WPA Hash Tables

Comment

For what ever it counts for, potential marrow donation seems like an acceptable entry for the contest to me.

Cheers
                    9 dollars and 40 cents? That's an outrage! If I were you I wouldn't pay it! - Groucho Marx

Comment

Sorry for the delay

1. we had over a 100 sign up & I think over 80 conservatively that donated. I do know they were surprised by the show of support & they worked the whole day with not one station being empty!
                      2. This is less of a contest & more like an event you are doing a GREAT service by being a bone marrow donor! So no worries ;-) I know that Be The Match can't be involved in giving out prizes so I will have something special for you just because you wanted to give blood! :-)
                      3.Remember Doing good is the ultimate reward everything else is a bonus! Will be making some calls & hoping to nail down some more details this week!
                      4. THANKS again to DEFCON, Barkode & Thomas for all the help in making this happen again it would not be possible without their support & the communities awesome heart!

Comment

What about those of us who lived overseas in the 80's, are we not allowed to win because we can no longer donate blood, thanks to the Red Cross changing their rules? (I mean really, if I had mad cow disease, wouldn't I be crazy by now.... oh, wait...)

But seriously, from someone who is over a Gallon Donor for the Red Cross, it seems a bit short sighted on the part of the Red Cross and others to deny those of us who Served overseas the opportunity to continue helping our fellow man.

#FrackingAngryCows
                        --- The fuck? Have you ever BEEN to Defcon?

Comment

Originally posted by dc0de View Post
                          What about those of us who lived overseas in the 80's, are we not allowed to win because we can no longer donate blood, thanks to the Red Cross changing their rules? (I mean really, if I had mad cow disease, wouldn't I be crazy by now.... oh, wait...)

But seriously, from someone who is over a Gallon Donor for the Red Cross, it seems a bit short sighted on the part of the Red Cross and others to deny those of us who Served overseas the opportunity to continue helping our fellow man.

#FrackingAngryCows
                          The MAIN thing to stress this is not about winning but about helping. For those who can't donate for legit reasons like that (I can't donate because I had cancer) then if you volunteer time at the event you can be eligible for the sweepstakes.

There will only be a certain number of these slots available space will be limited & 1st come 1st signed up onsite.

Remember the winners are the People who are given the gift of life! The t-Shirts & Swag are just a BONUS!!! :-)

Comment

The MAIN thing to stress this is not about winning but about helping. For those who can't donate for legit reasons like that (I can't donate because I had cancer) then if you volunteer time at the event you can be eligible for the sweepstakes.

There will only be a certain number of these slots available space will be limited & 1st come 1st signed up onsite.

Remember the winners are the People who are given the gift of life! The t-Shirts & Swag are just a BONUS!!! :-)

By no means was I only doing this for the contest. BarKode's situation as inspiration and the chance to do something positive for the hacker community is more than worth it. It was just an idle inquiry since I have a habit of entering just about every contest out there.

In other news, I am still in the running as a donation for someone. Should find out more next week as that's the butter zone for when confirmation is likely. Fingers crossed that I match.

Buy our books!
                            CoWF WPA Hash Tables

Comment

Originally posted by renderman View Post
                              By no means was I only doing this for the contest. BarKode's situation as inspiration and the chance to do something positive for the hacker community is more than worth it. It was just an idle inquiry since I have a habit of entering just about every contest out there.

In other news, I am still in the running as a donation for someone. Should find out more next week as that's the butter zone for when confirmation is likely. Fingers crossed that I match.
                              That was in no way a reference to you it was general info! You're an inspiration to me & I have an Awkward Hug with your name on it when we meet in Vegas ;-)
                              Last edited by Jayson.Street; 06-02-2012, 08:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X