Ohio Voting System Analysis report is public

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ohio Voting System Analysis report is public

We just finished analyzing all the voting systems (DREs, Opt-scans, backends, etc) of every vendor used by the state of Ohio. A lot of great people worked non-stop for weeks and there still wasn't enough time to delve deeply into everything. Even so, our results are pretty interesting.

http://www.sos.state.oh.us/sos/info/...x?Section=3180

our official public statement is available here:

http://www.patrickmcdaniel.org/docs/...-statement.pdf

as soon as I get the go ahead, i'll prepare a presentation on it.

-mouse
    haxx0r and I v0t3!
    One Voter really can make a difference. Ask me how!

Re: Ohio Voting System Analysis report is public

Holy Hell, what drunken monkey thought that using systems like that was a good idea in a live election.

The Diebold is particularly telling. I've seen better prototypes than their production (and presumably 2nd or 3rd generation) units

Good job.
    Never drink anything larger than your head!

Comment

I find it really scary that between them ES&S and Premier (formerly Diebold, but what's in a name) have 80% of the US market. Want something even worse?

Google Todd and Bob Urosevich.

-mouse

Comment

What's even more entertaining and suspect is when you look at Diebold and thier primary market of ATM machines.

Hmmm, so one division can produce a tamper resistant standalone unit with proper authentication and a full audit trail complete with paper reciept but they cannot produce a voting system anywhere near that standard.

Interesting...
        Never drink anything larger than your head!

Comment

Originally posted by renderman View Post
          What's even more entertaining and suspect is when you look at Diebold and thier primary market of ATM machines.

Hmmm, so one division can produce a tamper resistant standalone unit with proper authentication and a full audit trail complete with paper reciept but they cannot produce a voting system anywhere near that standard.

Interesting...
          Banks are willing to pay for security when if effects the bottom line. On the other hand, governmental agencies usually go with the lowest bidder. You do the math.
          Thorn
          "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

Comment

Good news! Colorado just decertified all ES&S and most DREs.

It looks like we might be making a difference after all. I just hope the vendors aren't able to buy their way out of this mess they've put us all in.

-mouse

Comment

Streaker69 (NetStumbler Forums) just passed this bit of info on, as reported in The Register. After seeing Mouse's talk at shmoocon, he though it would be of interest to people here.

Ohio voting machines confiscated in criminal investigation

Ohio investigators are treating a warehouse where 15 electronic voting machines have been quarantined as a crime scene following a report someone may have illegally tampered with them to remove a candidate's name from the ballot.

Officials from Ohio's Franklin County Board of Elections asked for a forensic analysis of the touch screen machines after Secretary of State Jennifer Brunner reported seeing something she regarded as odd while voting during last November's election: A gray bar and the words "candidate withdrawn" appeared where candidate Jay Perez's name should have been. Brunner's husband, who was using a nearby machine at the same time, said Perez was on his ballot.
              Thorn
              "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

Comment

I'd just like to say, I wasn't here yet.

Comment

Originally posted by barry99705 View Post
                  I'd just like to say, I wasn't here yet.
                  Probably what's more telling is what elected office you now hold.
                  Thorn

Comment

I would like to say that I was not in Franklin County at that time and can prove that I was not in Ohio until a week after the incident happened. Mouse for Supreme Overlord!

Comment

It's about jobs, money, stupidity, and the newest political mental disorder "fear of hanging chads." Releasing hi res pictures of the Diebold EVM master key goes way beyond a security snaffu too, but what I found here begins to make sense:

http://www.benmautner.com/widerangle/diebold.jpg

http://www.btinternet.com/~nlpWESSEX...ebold_pres.jpg

http://unclehornhead.blogspot.com/Di...logySecret.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/nostalgicab..._diebold_8.jpg
                      Last edited by Greyhatter; March 19, 2008, 14:33.

Comment

Thorn,
                        It's a really good thing this happened to Secretary of State Brunner, because at least she's paying attention - did you read that "someone" disabled all the audit logs?

I am soooo going to win this election!

Remember, my platform is "Universal Healthcare for All, and a Segway for Me!"

Comment

Originally posted by mouseling View Post
                          Thorn,
                          It's a really good thing this happened to Secretary of State Brunner, because at least she's paying attention - did you read that "someone" disabled all the audit logs?

Tell ya what, you can keep your Universal Healthcare, but I'd like a Segway as well.
                          A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Comment

Thorn,

So are Segways allowed on all the bike paths??

Comment

What makes you think I did not pad a couple of million votes in for myself?

and mine is "a Segway for everyone and Universal Healthcare for Clinton and Obama"
                              DaKahuna

Comment

Working...
                              X